Just inherited '82 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She's a beaut! What an awesome story. Looking forward to seeing this 40 in person. I can't tell, does it have AC? Power steering?

I assume you have a garage at your place where it will live this next phase of its life?

I assume you have a garage at your place where it will live this next phase of its life?
I do not. And that is the first hurdle. I have 2 options right now, my inlaws in Newport News or have it dropped off directly at a shop closer.

Wow, great luck, great project. Enjoy STAY STOCK! Please! #puristsunite

This brings up a good question. What would you include in staying stock? Would a new suspension (2.5 lift) or a rear locker violate this or just something like putting a V8 in it?

Welcome to the site. It looks like you have a very desirable, complete 40 in decent shape. I can't wait to see more pics.

IMHO, a lift is not big deal. But do not put a small block Chevy V8 in it.

Very cool old truck. Stock rocks!

I don't need a show truck, just something to take camping, drive on the beach , and do some of the trails around Virginia on the weekends.

Any advice?

Advice don't put a lot of money into it if you plan on driving it on the beach. I have a frame and tub from a 82 FJ40. While I got it in Arizona it came from Florida. It has rust is different places than you usually see. I have determined it was from sand was clean up and salt water getting into places. The rear sill is actually in decent shape. The rear sill in yours is obviously a replacement. Don't get me wrong 82 is a great year. The later running gear is much improved over the early FJ40s. The early have much thicker metal. I know Costco car washes in Arizona had a good under wash. I would plan on using it regularly. Also without a garage it going to be tough to keep restored vehicle looking that way. 2011 I bought a one owner 1970 FJ40. It is rust free and still original paint. Only bought it because I had a insulated garage in a mid climate when would not be a lot of work keep up on it. Would keep this in mind on how much you want to spend. Rust is not cheap to get rid. Northeast it will return quickly. Add sand and salt water won't help.

I mean why lift? Looks? Clearance issues? I’d wager that 80% of people lift for looks. Unless your beach is cover in boulders? Why lock it? Traction problems?

I’m a silly purist that has seen amazing things from these little monsters in stock form. They didn’t become legendary because of being locked on 35” tires.

That being said, it’s your truck! Enjoy!

This brings up a good question. What would you include in staying stock? Would a new suspension (2.5 lift) or a rear locker violate this or just something like putting a V8 in it?

Mostly talking about drive train, interior, color. I guess the rest depends on what you want to use it for. However, these trucks are only original once. Based on the few pictures you have a VERY original 82 with the uber rare factory AC and power steering. The radio delete plate is still there! @overton would be the best source for this but I'd guess that's a $30k Cruiser as it sits. Point being, would you wheel a $30k vehicle that they're not making anymore? The answer could certainly be yes and that's your prerogative but I'd venture to guess most people on here would do a light restoration on this 40 and drive it as a weekend vehicle.

Also, what is your "turning wrenches" capability and/or desire? If little to none you should get a number in your head of how much you're willing to spend on getting it road worthy and ship it straight to @OTRAMM. While it's getting worked on find a suitable home for it.

original late models are overrated. Put a 5 speed in it. Turbo diesel maybe. Sell the Land Rover for funding :flipoff2:

How many more original gems are sitting in Florida garages? Great example of the best vehicle ever made in history, ever! I vote to keep it stock, my two cents.
Congratulations op, on your new old cruiser. Looking forward to the restoration pics.

I mean why lift? Looks? Clearance issues? I’d wager that 80% of people lift for looks. Unless your beach is cover in boulders? Why lock it? Traction problems?

I’m a silly purist that has seen amazing things from these little monsters in stock form. They didn’t become legendary because of being locked on 35” tires.

That being said, it’s your truck! Enjoy!
I did like the looks of
Mostly talking about drive train, interior, color. I guess the rest depends on what you want to use it for. However, these trucks are only original once. Based on the few pictures you have a VERY original 82 with the uber rare factory AC and power steering. The radio delete plate is still there! @overton would be the best source for this but I'd guess that's a $30k Cruiser as it sits. Point being, would you wheel a $30k vehicle that they're not making anymore? The answer could certainly be yes and that's your prerogative but I'd venture to guess most people on here would do a light restoration on this 40 and drive it as a weekend vehicle.

Also, what is your "turning wrenches" capability and/or desire? If little to none you should get a number in your head of how much you're willing to spend on getting it road worthy and ship it straight to @OTRAMM. While it's getting worked on find a suitable home for it.

Weekend vehicle is really what the purpose of the truck is. I do like the trucks I have seen pictures of with the OME suspension, and figured the old suspension will be sagging at this point anyway. We go down to Southern Shores, NC probably 4 times a year and drive on the beach while we are there, so I want something that will be able to get us there and not get stuck on the beach. Beyond that, I have no real plans for serious trails.

I have little to no wrench turning capability, but wouldn't mind learning a few things. What would a very light restoration run?

Definitely come introduce yourself and more importantly :flipoff2: your truck in the CLCC sub forum. We're an active club with regular tech days and monthly meetings. We're also lucky enough to have a premier Land Cruiser mechanic just 45 minutes west in Bealeton, VA, www.otramm.com. Ryan @OTRAMM is a sponsoring vendor on these forums and an overall good dude. Search him up on YouTube for great Land Cruiser technical videos. Hit him up if you get overwhelmed and just need something done and done right. And as others have said, read through this forum and use the search function. It doesn't matter what you run in to working on your 40, you are NOT the first person to have the issue so the solution will most likely be on here somewhere.
Thank you. I have reached out to Ryan via his website.

What would a very light restoration run?

Hard to say without someone putting eyes on it. Certainly different definitions of what you're asking. But you're probably looking at brakes, carb rebuild, vacuum leaks fixed and valve adjustment as a starting point. Safety first then everything else.

Just don't let @wngrog get a hold of it, he would continue to embarrass us all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom