Just how rare was this dumb night view feature and can I remove it easily? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Threads
I don't want it but I don't want to leave a big hole in the dash. Is it going to be something that only obscure collectors will actually care about? Should I try to carefully collect and salvage the parts for someone? It works fine but it's just another thing to start rattling some day

Night Vision. I'd kill to have it.......not on my LX, but in my actual eyes.

I'd scavenge it if possible because it was relatively rare and parts are pretty expensive so I'm sure somebody would appreciate the spares. Some people have posted about adding it to a rig that didn't come with it but the cost was prohibitive and it required a special windshield. That's one advantage to removing, if you replace your windshield it will be cheaper than the NV version, if that one is even still stocked anywhere.

I'd scavenge it if possible because it was relatively rare and parts are pretty expensive so I'm sure somebody would appreciate the spares. Some people have posted about adding it to a rig that didn't come with it but the cost was prohibitive and it required a special windshield. That's one advantage to removing, if you replace your windshield it will be cheaper than the NV version, if that one is even still stocked anywhere.
Ok. For what its worth its a terrible feature. But I will heed your suggestion for some collector

Ok. For what its worth its a terrible feature. But I will heed your suggestion for some collector
Of course it's terrible, the NV technology in some of our trucks was developed well over a decade ago. The first commercially available automotive night vision system was introduced in the '00 Cadillac de Ville, and finally adopted in the LX470 (and Land Cruiser Cygnus) in 2002; needless to say, the thermographic cameras and sensors used in systems like these have drastically improved since then. Audi has taken this tech to a whole new level and their newest systems are leagues ahead of other manufacturers; at least that's my unbiased opinion since I don't own any vehicles other than Toyota's. In my experience their system is the most reliable and alerts the driver in the quickest and most non-disruptive manner. Not a big fan of the Mercedes and BMW systems though...they go crazy when it senses a pedestrian or object ahead. IMHO all the night vision systems in vehicles today are gimmicks no matter how well they perform. It's just another electronic doohickey to fail and need replace at some point, and the parts for these systems are getting exponentially more complex and expensive. Not to mention how big of a distraction they can be at times, which is the last thing someone needs especially while driving at night. It's also horrendous in heavy rain & fog because Toyota's NV is an active gated system that uses emitted infrared radiation and a CCD camera to capture the reflected signals, that are then processed by the computer and projected on your windshield. As I'm sure we all know radiation of any kind loves to reflect off everything - especially rain and fog. Is it cool? Very. Practical and helpful? Not so much. Just some of the many reasons Toyota did away with that tech for the 200 series. Just my $0.02:popcorn:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom