Just happened today, it doesn’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, took my lx470 2004 toLexus dealer for carwash and this happened right after the wash . They want $800 to diagnose but I don’t trust them . Any comment on what could be the problem ?? It doesn’t let me attach a video

Hey all, took my lx470 2004 toLexus dealer for carwash and this happened right after the wash . They want $800 to diagnose but I don’t trust them . Any comment on what could be the problem ?? It doesn’t let me attach a video
I have a video but I it doesn’t let me post here . Can I email you the video ?

I have a video but I it doesn’t let me post here . Can I email you the video ?

you could just answer his questions.
just give details.
personally I usually don't watch videos posted

there are like a million things it could be... and you gave us zero to go on.

check that there is gas in it lol.

you could just answer his questions.
just give details.
personally I usually don't watch videos posted
Ok, I turn the ignition key it tries to start then I leave the key and still tries to start and after 3 seconds it stops .
Need more info - click but no start? No click? Red flashing security light on or off? Tried jumping it?
it click and it tries to start. All the dash lights are up like always when the switch is on. It keep cranking even when I let the key go for 3-4 seconds and then it stops cranking .

Does the LX have solenoid start (not sure if that's the actual name of it)? I had an '03 4Runner in which you simply turned the key quickly and released for the truck to start fully – no need to hold the key turned until it starts. My '98 LC doesn't have it, but it sounds like that's what he's describing re: 3-4 seconds of still trying to start after releasing the key.

If it does have that, then it honestly just sounds like he needs a jump, lol.

It is hard to get water into the starter relay as it is quite seal and located inside the fuse box. Did they wash the engine?

When my starter went out it was doing similar, spinning a few seconds after I stopped trying to start the car., I believe a sticking solenoid was the issue. That combined with occasional "turn key and nothing happens" lead me to change the starter out.

When my starter went out it was doing similar, spinning a few seconds after I stopped trying to start the car., I believe a sticking solenoid was the issue. That combined with occasional "turn key and nothing happens" lead me to change the starter out.
I think this is the most likely scenario. A stuck solenoid on the starter could make the starter stay engage longer than it should if it's stuck in the closed position, and it could make nothing happen when you turn the key if it's sticking in the open position.

If you do have a sticking solenoid, sometimes you can hit the starter to unstick it and get you going. It wouldn't be too easy on one of these, but maybe you could jam something down under the intake manifold if you get in a tight spot. Maybe not worth the risk though with the other sensors under there.

Ok, I turn the ignition key it tries to start then I leave the key and still tries to start and after 3 seconds it stops .

it click and it tries to start. All the dash lights are up like always when the switch is on. It keep cranking even when I let the key go for 3-4 seconds and then it stops cranking .
If it just keeps cranking but doesn’t start, check/replace your EFI fuse. Not sure if the 2004 have the fusebox/immobilizer problem (different fuse box) but you can take a look at the ‘my immobilizer fix’ thread. Also need to verify fuel pump is working (first check fuse, then check for fuel flow).

Re-code the key? When I got a new key cut, I used MUD to program it myself, and save some $$, but tried it out anyway prior to programming, and the engine turned for like 10 seconds without starting. After the hokey-pokey programming regime, the same key starts every time. Do you have another coded key to try? Just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom