Just got some HIR's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just trimmed them up, and put in the pass side bulbs, so once its dark out i can see the difference between the stocks bulbs and the HIR's

I just trimmed them up, and put in the pass side bulbs, so once its dark out i can see the difference between the stocks bulbs and the HIR's

What is a HIR?

Halogen InfarRed. they give 2/3 the performance of HID's at much cheaper price. they were devolped by GE now thosiba is producing the bulbs. you can get them at rallylights.com

They're used for off-highway applications (agriculture). They have a higher lumen rating yet draw the same 55w as a normal bulb. Your normal 9005/6 bulb has three tabs that lock it in place, the HIR's tabs are shaped slightly differently so you can't put them in. Few cuts with a dremel and you're good to go. I got mine off Ebay, $22/bulb. Cary's got an awesome write up on them in the 80 section FAQ.

They may be used in off highway apps, but this is there history:

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their intention was to create a bulb that emits about 3/4 as many lumins as an HID capsule at a fraction of the cost. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

The technology involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi-reflective materials deposted on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflets a portion of the Infra red energy emited by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated forward portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb.

Interestingly enough, the 9012 bulb can be used in a 9006 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb.

I also know they are now coming standard in some new cars, and trucks.

don't hold your breath, I was NOT very impressed with mine. I'd say MAYBE 5-10% better, maybe...

IMHO, not worth the $

Really, now thats not what i want to hear. And you put those in your 100 or 80?

I've had mine in for a couple years and have been impressed. I would say it was closer to a 25% improvement for me. I did the high and low beams and got the bulbs from Daniel Stern.

I had them in my 80 (with the Slee harness) and put them in my 100. Pulling the power straight from the battery was definitely an improvement, other than the connectors on the harness corroded quickly. In the 100 with it running through the alternator it's not as bright, but it's still an improvment. Just look at the numbers, normal is like 1100 lumens and the HIR is 1850.

If you want bright go with HID's. Wildyoats put them in his 80, no reason you couldn't put them in the 100. He did a write up in the 80 section.

Just got back from a drive. I deffiently think the HIR's are worth the bucks. i see a lot of improvement. though i will say not as much as i did think. guess i will still be getting those driving lights also.

I think it's a worthy mad as well for the cost. However, I am still going to add some driving lights for certain situations.

However, I am still going to add some driving lights for certain situations.

Look no further than Hella 4000's.

I ran them in my 80 for over 2 years and was very impressed and and they were noticeably brighter

Brighter than cheapo Hyperwhites, or better than true HID?

Brighter than cheapo Hyperwhites, or better than true HID?

The cheapo bulbs don't put out more lumens, same as the Sylvania Star bulbs. It's just a different color of light. They're not as bright as true HID (depending on bulb temp of the HIDs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom