Just Got my 1st FJ40, but can't pass emissions and request input (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Non-emissions rigs can run the stock air cleaner with a Weber; they make an adapter, no?

Yes they can.
But you're going to write a whole new book on how to get a webered cruiser through a tailpipe test.

Non-emissions rigs can run the stock air cleaner with a Weber; they make an adapter, no?

I will admit I've never run a Weber carb. Can't remember when I changed from a Holley back to a OEM carb. Late eighties to early nineties. Did modify a factory air cleaner to work with the Holley. F not 2F air cleaner.

Just recently got into a argument at a California "STAR" station I always go to. The owner wasn't there and a new guy insisted on failing the car for missing the unobtainium heat insulator. The car passes smog with flying colors, and is one of the most smog compliant Cruisers out there. I've owned the car for 20 years and never has anyone picked on this part. These dumb rules have got to change.

My question is how can they possibly know about such an obscure part ? Usually the people working there are pretty dumb. What does this insulator have to do with emission's anyway ? It is just a heat deal.
So , what do you do now ?

H
My question is how can they possibly know about such an obscure part ? Usually the people working there are pretty dumb. What does this insulator have to do with emission's anyway ? It is just a heat deal.
So , what do you do now ?
He saw the temp controlled valve on the air cleaner that is not fed from the manifold below. I walked out after he told me to talk to the BAR. I’ll talk to his boss instead.

I challenged a smog tech who wanted to fail me for missing the duct from the cowl to the air cleaner.

I used HIS telephone to call the BAR, and had the BAR tell him it was not a requirement.

Last edited:
Guys,
Thanks for all the information, sounds like I have my work cut out for me with the whole emissions issue. So, it sounds as if the Weber which the PO's installed is not the best starting point and I should look at some form of replacement. Some of you have mentioned finding an "Asian" replacement if you could provide some guidance I would be glad to take them into consideration.

So to lay out what I got myself into here with the 75FJ. The clutch needed to replaced immediately because the clutch pedal was frozen and wouldn't depress with any amount of force. The whole story about the carb and emissions is well known and not likely to fixed easily. Well in the shop for the clutch the mechanic said he thinks the transmission is having bearing issues. The brakes seem to be iffy at best, but things need to get replaced and it is just one more item on the list. The choke has been cut and will need to worked and the lighting acting up and will need to be addressed.

So like many of you, I will be using this community as a sounding board for suggestions. I will post up some photos tomorrow so you can all see my new beast of burden.

S34

Please avail yourself of our search features— you will find 99% of what you need. For info you can’t find, you will find that there are lots of folks (me excluded) that have lots of knowledge. Carb swap back to OEM is pretty easy btw; you can get lighting sorted out and transmission is fixable. Money and time and time and money— helps to have both with a 40. Good luck on your rig!!

I passed smog this morning with the following numbers:

smog.jpg

I was told the guy from last week was fired (for unspecified reasons).

Looks like your engine is running real well. I am glad that guy was fired. He will probably show up at some emissions place here in Arizona ? We have some real dummies here.

The guy was floating his credentials to me, saying he's been an auto mechanic for more than 40 years. I knew something was ominous when he put down "Jeep" on the paperwork :confused:

Last edited:
Looks like your engine is running real well. I am glad that guy was fired. He will probably show up at some emissions place here in Arizona ? We have some real dummies here.

I'm down to one vehicle that goes thru emissions. That is a OBDII. Had a second one but last year when got a weeks notice of registration with emssions it is no longer registered in Maricopa county. Split my time between two homes and the one in Marcopa county is not the one spend we July at anymore.

Post a picture of the fail sheet? Without knowing what failed, we are all guessing, cant be much help.

The Aisin carb is the stock one that was removed when the Weber was installed. I'm not a Weber fan, but most times they can be tuned well enough to pass, then can deal with it later.

Big "IF" you only had to pass a tail pipe test, throwing on a Cat Converter (even when your year model does not require it) will get you passed. In Cali most or all of stock emissions equipment stopped working a long time ago, but you have to leave it in place to pass the visual. Not only does a new Cat let you pass emissions test, but the vehicle performance is not affected either.

Post a picture of the fail sheet? Without knowing what failed, we are all guessing, cant be much help.

The Aisin carb is the stock one that was removed when the Weber was installed. I'm not a Weber fan, but most times they can be tuned well enough to pass, then can deal with it later.

15372940875936884856015291884192.jpg

Depending on what "loaded" means, if it has high CO at running speed, then the main jetting is too rich. Drop the main jet size down until you reach the CO limit.

You didn't pass the visual on the emissions equipment. I guarantee they will not pass you without a hooked up smog pump, no matter how clean your tailpipe is blowing. You get the next check free but then have to pay more fees. In Tucson you used to be able to go to their main office and apply for a one year exemption. That might work for you. You can go on their website and research. I believe you need to find a mechanic with emissions capability to set your weber. Trial and error could take a lot of effort. Some of the shops that are right around the testing facility are masters of getting a car to pass. Good luck. Loaded means running at 35mph iirc.

Ok, so after reading what has been shared, I think I have picked an FJ40 Strategy. I will go back to the wheel instead of trying to recreate it with Mods. I will look for a 2F Carb and air cleaner set up and then tune everything to see if that will work. Let me know if you have any or all of the resources I am looking to replace. A bonus would be a "reconditioned or rebuilt" carb.

S34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom