Just got an 83 BJ42, what should I check before daily driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a one owner 1983 BJ42 that is in really good shape and it had the engine seals, gaskets replaced before it was parked over ten years ago and only driven through the backfield a time or two a year. Everything looked good except what seemed to be water coming out of the water seperator underneath the drivers side rocker panel. Just old diesel I'm guessing. Should I drain the old fuel or add something to it and run some new fuel through it? Also, it is stuck in 4wd as it was parked like that. It will go into low4, N but there is absolutely no play to get it into 2wd. I haven't researched it yet, but what could be seized?

What about valve clearance? I know I always keep good tabs on my 4runners valves and check them at least once a year, but I'm somewhat new to the 3B even though I already have a parts vehicle with one. I know if this cruiser was runninga 22re, I'd say there is some valve noise coming from it, but I also know diesel are noisy... should I be concerned?

What fluids should I change/flush?

maybe an easier question to ask would be, if you were an experienced BJ42 owner and were going to buy another that looks and sounds excellent mechanically, but was parked a long time, what would you do before you started putting lots of miles on it? I just don't want to cook my goose and ruin anything before I get the time to really get to know the 38

Lucky Bastid! Change ALL fluids! Engine oil, diffs, x-fer, transmission, coolant. I would also drain the diesel and make sure there isn't any algae, yes, algae in the fuel tank. Change the fuel filter and oil filter.

Enjoy your new toy and PM me first if/when you decide to sell it!

Cheers,
Stump

Last edited:
How much fuel was in the tank while parked? Empty tanks can rust internally. Get yourself a few fuel filters and keep them handy in case the tank has crud in it. Fresh fuel might be a good idea too. There's a drain plug on that fuel separator too.

Are the front hubs still locked? Sometimes I have a hard time getting my 42 out of 4wd when the hubs are locked. If I unlock them it's usually much easier to switch the transfer case into 2wd.

I'd change all the fluids including the engine oil, antifreeze, differential lube and trans/tcase lube for piece of mind. Grease the front end and ujoints. If is has greasable shackles hit them too.

Are the batteries in good shape? 24v or 12v system?

X3 on what was said before and replace break,clutch and power steering fluid too. Check for ease of play on your break callipers I've had them seize from rust from sitting for a long time. Like any truck that has been sitting for while you'll get the gremlins out from driving it around. Expect any rubber seals that haven't had there parts moved in a while be the culprits of leaking fluid. Fortunately there are lot's of replacement kits out there for those.

But if you don't want to drive it I can take it off your hands :)

As for noisy valves they do 3B do make noise but if your worried the engine manual has them set 0.20mm intake and 0.36mm exhaust on a hot engine.

Thanks guys, I'm stoked about finally getting one that is going to take a couple months to make perfect instead of a couple years. I looked at her when I got home and the seperator dripped a load of fuel on my driveway! Time for the kitty litter! I'm going to get some R&R this weekend and hit it hard next week to get it ready for the nice weather to drive it with the top off.

Hopefully I don't run into more issues than I can see!

oh ya, it was the locking hubs keeping the 4wd from disengaging... I figured it shouldn't have mattered like on my 4runner, but totally different set up really.

After driving her with the top off, you won't be able wipe the smile of yer face. Congrats! :D

Am I really the first to ask? Where are the PICTURES!?!?!

maybe an easier question to ask would be, if you were an experienced BJ42 owner and were going to buy another that looks and sounds excellent mechanically, but was parked a long time, what would you do before you started putting lots of miles on it? I just don't want to cook my goose and ruin anything before I get the time to really get to know the 38

Change all fluid, fuel included and run it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom