Just got a 75 series pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, on another thread, I mentioned I am going to get a 75 series pickup. It’s a 1992 two door pickup with a 3B engine. The engine sounds okay. But the body shape is not good. There are some rust underneath the truck bed. But it seems the chassis is okay without rust. I haven’t lifted it up to see everything clearly.

What do you guys suggest to do? I was thinking about welding some extra plates and rods to have stronger support and use it in the meantime without costing much. Or I just throw it away and make it a flatbed? Or if I can continue to use this bed like this with the rust? I want to get this truck ready and driving sooner. I have attached some photos for your reference. Thank you.
433837FD-C26E-4123-A8BC-53ECCF8BC32F.jpeg

C636819F-2762-4762-B463-8F9F918F49C1.jpeg

C207A7D6-C0E4-4F06-A14E-BD5BF48E0592.jpeg

75CB5459-F43E-4A4D-82AE-56881011AFE4.jpeg

306D140F-E8E4-4CCD-B693-3B72537E58A0.jpeg

Ouch. Those supports and cross members apparently are gone. Not much left to weld to.
I think, the supports are cracked already. Probably you are at risk for the entire bed to fall off sooner than later. IMHO the bed needs to be replaced, but the pics don't show all details.
My 2ct:
Concentrate on frame and mounts of shocks-, springs-, engine- and gearbox- and the cabin body.
What do axles, brakes, fuel- and brake-lines and tank look like? Safety first!
Cheers Ralf

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking to remove the bed as the first step. Then I can have a better picture and also easier to work on other things. In here, it will be very difficult to locate a used 70 series truck bed. So I need to see what other options I will have. May need to be creative. But that’s also part of the fun.

Ouch. Those supports and cross members apparently are gone. Not much left to weld to.
I think, the supports are cracked already. Probably you are at risk for the entire bed to fall off sooner than later. IMHO the bed needs to be replaced, but the pics don't show all details.
My 2ct:
Concentrate on frame and mounts of shocks-, springs-, engine- and gearbox- and the cabin body.
What do axles, brakes, fuel- and brake-lines and tank look like? Safety first!
Cheers Ralf

Hello,

x2.

Your frame looks like it has not been cleaned in a long time. The crud may be hiding corrosion.

Your truck seems to have lived in a place with road salt or muddy roads.

Have the frame thoroughly cleaned once you remove the bed.

You can get a 79 Series bed in the US. It is a bit shorter than the 75 Series one, but it is possible to modify it to fit.

Check @coldtaco 's 75 Series thread for details on using a 79 Series bed.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom