Just found the GA clubhouse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning, This is Rob in Atlanta. Just saw that there is a GA clubhouse, thought I would repost from the main 80 board and introduce myself.

Have been a Jeep guy my entire life (XJ, JTruck, Grand Wag) but am warming to the idea of a FJ.
Currently wheeling a 90 Grand Waggy. Finally have it set up just like I like it - have invested considerable cash over the last year. Am now realizing that while having a vehicle that is primarily built for the trail is great, my growing family needs a 3rd row seat and air conditioning during those Atlanta summers.
Lots of back and forth - the Waggy is going up for sale. Looking at a 96-97 FJ80/LX450. Have read the Slee Offroad article about what to look for prior to purchase - very helpful.
Looks like a great community here. It may take me some time to buy as I am fairly picky plus I need to sell my Jeep. If anyone is interested in a Grand Wagoneer or knows of a nice local FJ, drop me a line.

Look forward to seeing you guys sometime in the future.

Best,
Rob

Also, not opposed to a FJ100. Know they bump up to the v8 - are they as reliable and 'bullet proof' as the FJ 80's? Same head gasket worries?

Anything to watch out for on the 100's? Thanks!!

-Rob

Why are you looking for just 96-97 FZJ80s?

Welcome to the GA Cruisers! :flipoff2:

Thanks. Seems like a fun group.

Focusing on the 96-97 so I can replace the truck feeling of my Wagoneer while also having ABS, airbags, and the comforts my wife wants. Also need to keep costs down!

Rob

Welcome! If you've got any questions about 80s or anything shoot me a private message and I'll do my best to answer. Or if you you find a link to one you're interested in and maybe want an extra set of eyes, send it on my way and I may be able to head out and take a look with you in person. I helped my younger brother get into a built 80 last December (and am sort of interested in finding one of my own haha) so I've got 80s on the brain.

Good luck with your hunt. Search the classifieds here on mud and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for, just don't be afraid to travel for the right truck. There's plenty of people on mud all around the country who'd be happy to take a look for you incase you find a perfect rust free truck out west for example.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, may take you up on that. What part of town are you in? I'm in Brookhaven.

Anyone ever organize wrech o thons or anything like that? I'm not a genius mechanic but happy to help turn a wrench or two.

Rob

we absolutely are not out at john's shop 3 Saturdays a month and absolutely never drink Natty lights till the sun goes down. Oh, and his shop is absolutely not in Buford, with beer, at johns shop, nope...

That sounds like a terrible time. I hope all this shop time is OSHA approved? I'll bring a hardhat and safty goggles just in case :)

If you show up with a case of Natties, you might just fit in...

Yeah it's a terrible time which is why we continue to do it. And yeah the unwritten rule is recipient of said services brings beer and lunch.

good gawd, 9500? I thought decent 80s were $5k? Pretty sure Nick's whitey was around $4500 and that was a better built truck than that. Screw his fancy head unit!!

I know of a nice 1993 fjz80, very clean no rips in the leather, new tires, cold air, NO LEAKS, but no lockers. 5k friends wifes truck. They are selling it because they bought my 1996 lx450...

Looking at an 80 for sale on this site. Thoughts on price, condition, accessories? I have never shipped a vehicle across country - any advice? Thanks

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-locked-fj-new-leather-seats-4x4-labs-bumper.827106/

Rob

Thats a nice looking truck, but $9500 seems steep for what it has. New head gasket, new brakes all around, and metric TLC seat covers are all good additions though that add to the price. Brian at ACC told me when i was buying mine that a stock 80 should be around $5000, then for all the mods, bumpers, add-ons, etc. add the total price for all those things up and slash that in half and add it to the 5k. Then if the truck has any problems factor that into the price as well. With that you can get a good ballpark for what that or any 80 is worth. I don't remember how much it was to get my brothers shipped from Ohio, but I think it was around $600 and we went through a local dealer that our family uses for all our vehicles. I would definitely reach out to a local land cruiser shop in that guys area to check it out and make sure it is all sound though since the guy selling it only has 12 posts. Also i would ask about what type of bed liner he used on it. Some bed liner isn't completely UV protected and can break down over the years. This bed liner looks good now, but you want to make sure it will continue to look good in the future. Think about what you will have to do to that 80 once you get it in order to make it what you pictured. I'm expecting you'll add a lift, bigger tires, front bumper, etc. You might be able to find something closer that has all that for less.

9500 is quite high for a cruiser that has 225k. A built 80 is typically going to cost you in the 5k to 8k range. I got mine for 4500, but I saw the listing and contacted the guy 30 minutes after he posted the ad. My truck is also a little rougher than a truck that would go for 7k, but I know how to fix most things when they wear out or break. What are your ultimate goals for your 80? expedition? Daily Driver DD and light weekend wheeler? all out rock crawler?

fyi- a lot of people on MUD want top dollar for their stuff, so always talk them down...

keep looking and post what you find up here so we guide and heckle...

Thanks for all the help and insight. I figured 9.5k was high but didn't know by how much! Hopefully I'm starting to get a better feel for what i should pay.

I like the acessories rule of thumb - add them up and reduce by 50%. I know I'll never get out what I put into my Wagoneer - same scenario. That being said, how much should factory lockers add to price? Or, how much should lack of lockers take away?

My goals are to replace the Wagoneer as an off road vehicle while also having something I can load the family up in for a 5 hour drive to the beach. JBL - thanks for the heads up on the 93. Sounds like a nice one but my wife really wants airbags.

-Rob

In my opinion, lockers shouldn't really be an add or a deduct from the overall price. Problem is if people actually know what they have they think they add more than is realistic to the actual price. They make lockers every day and for the premium that some try to charge you could find a nice un-locked rig and drop a rear in and go. You have been around and I'm sure you know that a rear locker will take you farther then most people should try in a beast like the 80 anyway.

Since no one has chimed in on 100's, i will and have had an 80 along with a couple of 100's over the years.

Off-road, the 80 is better. SFA makes the difference as well as being able to mod an 80 with bigger lifts, tires etc… Limit on the lift of a 100 is about 2-1/2". You can put 35's on one, but not without a price including the cost, the wear and tear etc… That said, they do very well with 33's/34's and can keep up with a similarly lifted and outfitted 80 for the most part. Won't be as pretty… lot's of front tire lifting with almost no articulation in the front. Front diff is the weak point. I never broke mine, but just the fear of it led me to install a front ARB which was also very nice to have off-road.

On-road, no comparison. The 100 is much nicer as you'd expect from a vehicle 10 years newer on average. The V8 is bulletproof and while not what I'd call powerful, is powerful compared to the 80 6cyl. No head gasket issues or any other problem really. Plenty of them with 300k+ without any issues. Probably one of the best Toy engines ever produced (gas anyway).

You can pick up a loaded 100 for around $10k. You'll see a bunch of them with high miles which is testament to how well built they are.

All depends on your needs… if you are hard core off-road inclined with this purchase, get the 80. If you want a good mix of off/on road, get a 100. (both the 80 and 100 sections of mud will have more info than you could ever read)

Good luck.. the hunt is the best part!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom