Just found a 2006 post listing FJ40 values. If we had only known how desirable they'd become. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

<$1k - Parts car, not salvagable, missing engine, drivetrain, etc.
$1k-$2k - Possibly running or not, rusted or rotted out body tub, frame damage, good candidate for a trail rig only or a complete frame off restoration
$2k-$4k - Running, rough condition, needs a some work, parts missing.
$4k-$7k - Minor rust, driveable condition, not missing any major parts
$7k-10K - Good condition, all original, daily driver condition, zero to no rust
$10k - $15K - Frame off restoration, absolutely no rust, original paint, kept in a garage and sung to sleep every night, etc...
>$15K - Showroom quality restoration, better than new

What's your opinion on where prices are now? I've been watching the FJ40 market for a couple of years now, especially the <8k price range. I'd say the lower end of the range is easily 50% - 100% higher now. Certainly the middle range has doubled in value. Frame off restoration of $10k - $15K is easily in the $25- $40k range now and showroom quality is easily $50k. Tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, I know prices vary across the country and the world for a variety of factors.

I almost forgot about that post. At the time I made that post, those were the prices I was seeing while shopping for my FJ40. But where I am located is probably on the high end of the price spectrum due to competition. Looking back at the prices I had listed, I wish I had bought every single land cruiser I looked at and just stored it in a garage. $15K for a showroom quality FJ40 seems like a steal now. I wish I had spent the money up front and purchased something already restored, instead of buying something cheap and trying to fix it up. But at the time $15K might as well have been $100K to me, it just seemed so far out of reach. It's ironic that I'm probably getting close to having that much invested now and it still looks like crap.

I'd say prices have more than doubled since then. Back then I bought a solid driveable FJ40 for about $5k that required minor work to make it a daily driver, and now I'm seeing some in similar or worse condition to what I bought mine for going for $10-15K. Gone are the days of a sub $1k cruiser, even for a rusted out parts vehicle with no title. Right after getting my FJ40, I also thought about getting an FJ55 just to have a sibling vehicle, and I remember seeing one for sale in average condition for $3k and thinking it was overpriced.

The only bad thing about the rising prices is the cost of parts has gone up dramatically. 15 years ago I purchased a near mint condition hardtop with sides for $400, that same hardtop today would be north of $2k. Even though my original intent was to build it up as an off-road vehicle, when I think of the repair or replacement cost of some of the parts I am hesitant to push it too hard off road.

Last edited:
"Back then I bought a solid drive able FJ40 for about $5k that required minor work to make it a daily driver"
I just paid $5000 for this one last July. I felt like I got a really good deal in that it was in good running condition. Add that fact that its 95% original with a PTO winch was a huge plus. I've not been able to find out how many 40 Series came with that option but appears to be fairly low. But most were removed in favor of electric. I think its conceivable that this would be worth upwards of $10k as it sits if it were in the lower 48 and accessible to a large number of buyers. I've not been on this forum for long or in the FJ world for long but I don't imagine there are that many out there this original.

I just paid $5000 for this one last July. I felt like I got a really good deal in that it was in good running condition. Add that fact that its 95% original with a PTO winch was a huge plus. I've not been able to find out how many 40 Series came with that option but appears to be fairly low. But most were removed in favor of electric. I think its conceivable that this would be worth upwards of $10k as it sits if it were in the lower 48 and accessible to a large number of buyers. I've not been on this forum for long or in the FJ world for long but I don't imagine there are that many out there this original.

I’d sell my left kidney for a PTO

I bought my first 40 in 2003. Not the first 40 in my life, but the first as an “adult” 😂

I traded an 85 CJ7 I had swapped a 4.0L and put 35s on. The price on the 40 was $4,000 for SOA/350. The shop that bought my jeep also gave me $500 on their cost to buy accessories etc. still have the tow rope and high lift :)

The jeep is Probabaly worth $4-6k today and well that 40 is Probabaly 4-5 times the price today.

4D65E85C-0D6B-46C6-AEEF-C7181FAC8C52.jpeg

Honestly still wish I had this lineup….

B34F2317-C186-44C5-AF65-B3D94C70BAC5.jpeg

I bought my first 40 in 2003. Not the first 40 in my life, but the first as an “adult” 😂

I traded an 85 CJ7 I had swapped a 4.0L and put 35s on. The price on the 40 was $4,000 for SOA/350. The shop that bought my jeep also gave me $500 on their cost to buy accessories etc. still have the tow rope and high lift :)

The jeep is Probabaly worth $4-6k today and well that 40 is Probabaly 4-5 times the price today.

View attachment 3224617

Honestly still wish I had this lineup….

View attachment 3224619

this was $5k in '97 or '98. fuel injected 2f, 35's full cage locked both ends.

toyota01.jpg

First 40 I bought in 2011 for $5000:
4.jpg

Second one in 2012 for $6500:
IMG_0620.JPG

Third one in 2018 for $15k:
IMG_5512[1].JPG

Prices have gone up a lot since I first got into these trucks, but there are deals out there to be had. You just have to be patient and be willing to walk away if the deal is not right. Below is a good example of that mindset...I purchased this 60 in 2015 for $4000. The seller wanted $6500 (which was a steal). I had two 40's at the time and did not really need the truck. I told him I'd go $4k on it and left. About an hour later, he called me and agreed to sell it for $4k. The truck was lifted on '33's, ARB, Warn M8000, etc. It looked pretty much the same as it does in the pic below except without a roof rack and a lot dirtier:
PRSR6646[1].JPG

Last edited:
First 40 I bought in 2011 for $5000:
View attachment 3224637
Second one in 2012 for $6500:
View attachment 3224641
Third one in 2018 for $15k:
View attachment 3224647
Prices have gone up a lot since I first got into these trucks, but there are deals out there to be had. You just have to be patient and be willing to walk away if the deal is not right. Below is a good example of that mindset...I purchased this 60 in 2015 for $4000. The seller wanted $6500 (which was a steal). I had two 40's at the time and did not really need the truck. I told him I'd go $4k on it and left. About an hour later, he called me and agreed to sell it for $4k. The truck was lifted on '33's, ARB, Warn M8000, etc. It looked pretty much the same as it does in the pic below except without a roof rack and a lot dirtier:
View attachment 3224654
That’s honestly insane. All of those look like 30k+ trucks

Here's my pig. Purchased for $3k in '18. Chopped off the rusty rockers, welded in some floor patches, made a bumper, slapped on a winch and roof rack and gave it a spit shine. May be my favorite truck of all:

Before:
IMG_1587[1].JPG

Now:
WXFH1502[1].JPG

The only way you can get a good deal is if you happen to find an old man that has it stashed away in the backyard and hasn't driven it in years. Like some of the stories you read about on here.

I wouldn't say I got a good deal. I paid a fair price but the only way I got it was that I stumbled on it while at the PO's place buying other stuff. It was buried and had been sitting for 20yrs.

Once I told PO that I was interested, she mentioned it to a few people. She couldn't believe someone would want it. Everyone she told was also immediately interested. So I had to act fast.

I mentioned the 80 CJ7, I actually bought it and a 77 FJ40 for $750 four years ago. Motor and trans were shot in the CJ but the body was in excellent shape. The FJ40 was not running, no top, seats shot, tons of rust, but I considered it free with the purchase of the CJ. The CJ is completely restored now. As for the FJ, I couldn't find anyone to help me get it running so I sold it for $1500. Then a week later I'm in Wasilla and accidentally ran across this 75' that ran great. So for $3500 more I've got an all original running, driving, street legal vehicle. I was able to buy two for $750 because they were under a tree in someone's yard in an Alaskan bush village (off the road system), neither running and neither had titles. And its $500 to barge them in, which you have to do to get them titled. There are quite a few other rare vehicles there that need to be saved, but no one will ever go to the time and expense to save them unfortunately. The perk to buying a vehicle that's been in the arctic circle, hardly any rust. Metal doesn't rust below 0 and that place is below 0 six months out of the year.

I had 5 fj40 all complete and all running most I paid was $3600 Canadian cheapest was $500 I still remember the good old days lol. Todays prices are crazy I sold hardtop for $150 front disc brakes complete for $250 seats $50 bucks each lol. Diffs for $50 bucks complete rear ends for $150. Trannys and transfers $150 each also. Dang. Canadian dollars also driveshafts $50 ,$50 was my go to price lol a few parts trucks usually no more than
$500-$800

12B9C81B-4D34-4FE6-9B27-1A8769680E37.jpeg
55C49139-4752-485E-B9CF-26C35D30E4D0.jpeg
1C4B3ECE-AC90-45FB-AB73-AFAE437AF019.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom