just dropped off bj42 for t-case rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was hoping to do it myself. can't afford to deal with my own learning curve, so i opted to have it done by a shop.
took it to pro-active auto here in calgary, someone on mud pointed me to them.
was hoping to go to a 5-sp. but apparently it's not a direct bolt-up and go, so opted for a rebuild on my old case.
getting ready for spring and summer...
a little pricey($1300) but it will be done and bush ready.
eric

Holy crap I could have done that for you for much less. And if you have a 3B I don't see why it wouldn't be just a direct bolt up to your engine. I just did the 5th gear syncros in one a few months ago and everything seems the same. If you got the 5 speed off a diesel it would have worked. You would need the tranny and tcase. And for $1300 you would have been able to come close to a tranny. It is a popular swap so I am not sure where you heard that.

i guess you need both tranny and t-case. t-case from a 42 is different. plus only certain years have an actual stick shifter, after that they are vacum shift. then you need the drive shafts modified , apparently 5-sp is 4" longer than a 4-sp. sounded like a lot of screwing around.
would have rather given the money to someone i know, rockdoc found a tranny/tcase in ontario but the guy is absolutely unwilling to assist with the shipping. and he lives in the middle of nowhere.
if at any point i find a 5-sp. i'll still have a low milage tranny with rebuilt t-case. so it doesn't seem like money wasted.
$1300 is almost as much as i paid for the truck, lol.
i will definately keep your offer in mind when i have to do something like this again, john.
wanted to do it myself but can't afford for the thing to give me grief.
eric

Yeah 5th gear is actually outside of the transmission. It is a 4 speed case i believe or very similar and has a little box that bolts to the rear of the actual trans case that houses the shift fork and 5th gear. The T-case is a 2 piece unit that you would need. And wow a diesel crusier for about $1300 you got a good deal. Oh and I have lots and lots of driveshafts.

buying it was the cheap part, i had to put $3-4000 in to it just so i could drive it on the road. lots of work, plus i had to track down the title. a couple owners back,pita... never again.

That sounds like a fun time. My parents are the original owners of mine so tracking down a title shouldn't be to hard. Just lots of money and time. BTW I am going to go wrench on them this weekend. hopefully get my mounts done for the engine and get the trans mounts done and maybe start mounting the rear axle. Should keep me busy.

I bet they bought the rebuild kit off of Dan.
I used to pack a ton of stuff heading to pro-active when i was full time at the shop.

So any updates Eric ?

Are you driving your BJ yet ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom