Just did the 2004 pin 60 NAV repair & Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

Very long time lurker. First time poster. Recovering Jeep/Rover guy. Purchased the 04 cruiser about two years ago. Before I bought it I did my home work on mud to look for problem areas so I was put on notice about the probs with the MFD.

Well today I did the pin 60 repair. There are several threads about this issue that link to the Prius and Highlander repairs. It is exactly the same repair once you get in there. Very straight forward except pin 60 is about a micron in size:crybaby:. I had to grind down my smallest soildering tip to about the thickness of what seemed was a hair. I am NOT a electronics guy by any streach of the imagination. I wrench not soilder circuit boards. BUT, based in what I did, nearly anyone can do it. Of course, it will probably crap out tomorrow :whoops:.

On to the introduction. I am a long time jeeper, short time land rover guy. About a decade ago I purchased a discovery to fool around with when I moved to Arizona. :mad: Crap truck. I quickly bought a grand cherokee (see below). Great truck. Lift, lockers etc... Many trips. I began tearing up the unibody so I moved on to a Rubicon. Great truck. Built it to the hilt. Many trips (very small sampling below). Still have one 'jeep' left. A spent 2.5 years restoring a 1942 Willys mb. Its a keeper. As I mentioned before, I like to wrench. I do all my own wrenching. I have not been to a shop in well ever?

Did I just hear "Well why did you get rid of the Rubicon" Good question. Had kids. Jeeps are good for one or two and dog. Not a family. So, out with the Jeep and in with the cruiser. Honestly, the Jeep could go any where I pointed it (well without destroying the jeep or killing me) but man it took its toll on the body. Wife would tolerate it. She always wanted a Land Cruiser so I let her convince me. I wasn't hard bc I had done my homework on Mud.

I have taken it out a few times (still stock - see comment about kids above) and am very happy with results. I plan on the usual upgrads - tires, lift armour etc... and expect it will get me anywhere I want to go but comfortably:clap: (e.g. happy wife).

No big mods for a while but if you are around Phoenix, give me a shout. Sorry about lurking this long and not contributing but its not much fun posting pics of my wife's stock truck (yes I will take it from her at some point. She would say over her dead body - 200 series on the future for her...?)

Hello all!:clap:

Brian
ToSort3 011.jpg
DSC00589.JPG
HITRock 011.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2004 LC and the NAV has been on the fritz lately. Is this "pin 60" mod fix the issues with the NAV freezing up and/or just not being available for periods of time?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure this is the pin 60 you are referencing. I found this article a while back then lost the bookmark. Dug around tonight and finally found it again. I think I will give this a shot on Sunday because it's been driving me nuts. The stereo goes in and out every time it decided to freeze up.

Prius MFD

The radio/nav would stop working (e.g. turn off - check external connection) The biggest issue is that I could not operate the A/C. The default when you change the battery is A/C off which is an issue in AZ in summer. Just mark or take pics of everything when you disassemble. Pin 60 is the connector that well connects the two boards. It is REALLY small.

Is this "pin 60" mod fix the issues with the NAV freezing up and/or just not being available for periods of time?
Good question - Being as you have an '04 it is possible. Most of the people I've seen complain about the issue on this board and others end up with the "Audio Off", "Check Connection of the air conditioner" for climate control, and "External system is not connected" for the Map and Destination buttons. The TSB is EL002-05.pdf. I've never seen anyone connect slow to respond with this TSB, but the TSB itself does list the following symptom: "When pressing any button on the multi-display, the system takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond to the user's input."

The TSB itself isn't 100% clear on which of the symptoms you'll experience it just says "some customers may experience various malfunctions occuring with the multi-display. Som examples are:..."

From what I've seen I think you would experience more than just slow reponses - I'm pretty sure the pin 60 would cause you to get at least one of audio off, check connection to a/c, or external system not connected IN ADDITION TO the slow response, but not ONLY the slow response. The reason I say this is based on my understanding that the pin 60 connection is what connects the MFD to the AVC-LAN - without that connection, you get nothing... But who knows - perhaps your pin 60 soldier joint could be hanging by a thread leading to slow connection but not disconnected?. Anyhow - could be worth a try, but there is also risk involved cause you could end up damaging the MFD.

After looking at some other TSBs I noticed the following TSB that is closer to what you describe except it only applies to lx470 with mark levinson amps. This is actually a problem I've experienced but didn't realize until today that it was a formal TSB: EL012-05.pdf for models 03-06 LX470 and it says "Some customers may experience slow reaction of the multi-display to user input when traveling at higher speeds. This will occur when the ASL is activated on the mark levinson audio system. an updated mark levinson amplifier is available to address this situation."

Welcome! :flipoff2:

OK, so you've posted the pictures of the previously owned rigs...now how about a pic of the cruiser!? :D

Good question - Being as you have an '04 it is possible. Most of the people I've seen complain about the issue on this board and others end up with the "Audio Off", "Check Connection of the air conditioner" for climate control, and "External system is not connected" for the Map and Destination buttons. The TSB is EL002-05.pdf. I've never seen anyone connect slow to respond with this TSB, but the TSB itself does list the following symptom: "When pressing any button on the multi-display, the system takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond to the user's input."

I have a copy of the TSB and my nav unit exhibits all the symptoms listed in the TSB. I get the "audio off", "external system disconnected", "Check connection to air conditioner", etc, etc.

I'm extremely good with soldering and taking apart electronics. Been involved in Radio Control since I was 8 and had plenty of experience.

Will find out tomorrow when I disassemble it and repair the pins.

I have an 04 with 100K miles with the same problem....twice. 3 months ago it showed up for the first time so I sent it into autobeyours.com. Everything was fine for 3 months now its back again. They said they will cover it under the 90 day warranty but its a PITA to pull and the truck cant be drove in -10 temps with no heat while its being repaired.

For the first time in 2 years I wish I kept my FJZ80

Welcome!!

I had the 04 MFD issues as well. I'm no techie and wound up paying $900 for the dealer to install a remanufactured MFD unit from Denso. It was quick and easy but painful on the wallet.

I just installed Bluetooth (usa spec bt-45) 2 weeks ago. Everything worked great for a few days. Then the audio went out. Wiggled the connections, disconnected battery and it worked fine for 2 days. Now everything shuts off and I can't get AC to work etc even after unplugging the battery, fuse etc.
Same issue described here external system disconnected etc.
20180502_213358.jpg

Sometimes it shows the amp as being okay, and other times it shows everything as not connected.
I have a 2003 so I know this issue is more 2004. But do you think this is my issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom