Just curious... Why no Pontiac powered 40's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have never heard of anybody powering a 40 with a Pontiac engine. They are fairly small, even the 455, still are more advanced than a lot of V8 engines out there today, and are known as low reving stump pullers. Seems like a win win to me?

455 Pontiac 425HP Crate Engine Video

Just a guess, probably because the Chevy motors are more popular as far as finding replacement parts and conversion parts.

ETA: It would be kinda of cool to see something different in the form of a Pontiac engine conversion.

Last edited:
back in the 70s i ran a 455 ho with a tripower and it fit ok but had to mod truck for a bigger rad.stock 3 speed and drum brakes .it was super fast and fun .when that blew i dropped in a 501 caddy because a couple other guys were running 455 olds engines.didnt need a gto or a 442, worst damage was shearing off rear d shaft bolts,good luck

A few years ago at Cruise Moab I saw a FJ40 with a Pontiac 400 in it. Not a big block, but a Pontiac stroker small block.

Because the F series is superior!!!

Realistically I have seen a few Pontiac engines in cruisers. There was one for sale with a v6 pontiac here in colorado a while back. I am just too big of a 2F/F engine fan to put anything else in there. If I want power....a cruiser is not what I get into. :)

I'd wanted a pontiac 400 when my 305 finally gave up several years ago...but they were rare and expensive so a $350 chevy 350 was what I ended up with.

I still think a pontiac 400 would be a nice motor with all around good power with high revving capabilities which is what I like considering I go the sand dunes alot.

PS Think "the bandit" from Smoky and the bandit movies and you'll get an idea of the motor I'm talking about.

I'd wanted a pontiac 400 when my 305 finally gave up several years ago...but they were rare and expensive so a $350 chevy 350 was what I ended up with.

I still think a pontiac 400 would be a nice motor with all around good power with high revving capabilities which is what I like considering I go the sand dunes alot.

PS Think "the bandit" from Smoky and the bandit movies and you'll get an idea of the motor I'm talking about.

I know what motor you are talking about. I am a big tin chief fan.

The Brooklands book Toyota Land Cruiser Gold Portfolio 1956-1987 has an FJ55 with a Olds Cutlass 330 cu in V-8 in it.

It's not impossible. It just doesn't give you any advantages over a Chebby and the aftermarket for adapters and such isn't there.

It's cool to do something different.

it's also cool to get finished and go wheeling. if the first interferes with the second you gotta look at your priorities.

Well it does give you advantages over a the ol' chebby. The poncho's will always have more torque at lower RPM because they all have a longer stroke than the approx. 3 inch of a Chevy small block. The only exception to this is 265 and the 301 which were produced later and both had a 3 inch stroke. Other than those two, almost all the engines have a bore a little bit larger than stroke with the 455 being the only one with a stroke longer than the bore.... hmmm grunt! Low revving quick to plateau tree stump pulling torque.

I agree though, it would be a bear to find/make an adapter. Hmm perhaps this will be my next project if I am ever done with this truck. Either a 455 Poncho or one of those monstrous 578 GMC V6's since putting a detroit diesel is never going to happen.

578 GMC V6's

You meant 478 right?
The 477.7-cubic-inch (7,828 cc) 478 was one of the largest V6 engines ever built. Gross output was 235 hp (175 kW) at 3200 rpm and 440 ft.lbf (597 Nm) at 1400 rpm. Bore was 5.125 in (130.2 mm) and stroke was 3.86 in (98 mm). It was introduced in 1963 in the 6500 series trucks.

It was superseded by the 1966 478M "Magnum" series, and production ended by 1974. Gross output was now 254 hp (189 kW) at 3700 rpm and 442 ft.lbf (599 Nm) at 1400 rpm.

It's not impossible. It just doesn't give you any advantages over a Chebby and the aftermarket for adapters and such isn't there.
i used the turbo 400 auto adapter for mine from advance adapters .the first one was a 3 speed and i used the chevy adapter with a gto flywheel and clutch .then i did a 4 speed and the advance bellhousing had the pontiac bolt pattern .the problem is cooling a bigger rad is needed .its as close to a 2f as you can get for low end power .they wont rev out like a small block but are getting hard to find good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom