just cant win (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure what the part number differences are between this one and the one Jim listed, but 1st Toyota Parts (whose prices are usually in line with Cruiserdan's) shows it as:

Water pump, Water pump
Land Cruiser
List Price : $530.11
Your Price : $382.44

Hank - that's prolly a listing for the WP assy (includes Fan clutch, pulley) and it's NLA.

If you can find the Aisin branded pump WPT-028 (same as Toyo), they're a few bux less.

from the toyota catalog:
16110-61081-77
PUMP ASSY-WATER
Price:$104.28
List Price:$104.28
Your Price:$75.08

interesting. toyota of plano quoted me $530. guess they're marking them up a bit. i got an aisin pump from the auto parts store for $75.

Wow, look at all the expensive crap in your sig line. Perhaps you should make the damned thing run, reliably, before dragging it thru an offroad catalog with a magnet attached! After all the work it took to install all that, I'd thinhk a couple of water leaks should be minor!

ROFL

That's the first good laugh I've had in weeks.

Seriously though, USE GASKETS NOT RTV! RTV sucks, and I have never had it work well. It's much more worthwile to take the time to scrape off old gasket material and install new gaskets. Seriously mang, I'll search for days to find one gasket in order ot avoid using RTV. Use constant tension (spring type) hose clamps on your hoses, and before putting them on, rub some grease over the nipples (giggity). This will keep the hoses from sticking when you want to pull them off later and help further prevent leaks. Just drain it all completely, fix the leaks that you have now, refill, burp the system, and check for leaks. it takes some time and effort, but it's worth it to have a nicely sealed system.

Getting a pair of plier-style hose clamps is great too for minimizing fluid loss if you just want to disconnect one hose at a time.

Jace,

My recommendation is buy a stant radiator pressure tester. I used to do lots of engine changes in my time and it was rare that I would get a leak after changing the water pump. But when I did a long block change on a Chevy astro van once and put the coolant in, I got a water leak on the INSIDE part of the head in the lifter area. Wow was I pissed. I put on a second head gasket on that head, and it still leaked again. Now, I had to yank out the engine. I was SO mad, I was lighting fast and got the engine out in two hours..a new record.

I since never wanted to take that risk and since then, when I open up the cooling system and replace the part, I ALWAYS pressure test the cooling system BEFORE any other parts are put back on. This limits my time to taking off unnecessary parts like pulleys and belt to replace the pump or other parts.

Just a good way to eliminate frustration. BTW, some times cars have minds of there own and something will break even if you never removed it..that's part of the reason why I hate working on cars at times and avoid it :)

am i missing a spacer

finally completing the water pump replacement and now my fan doesn't seat properly on the pump. is there a spacer that i've lost between the pulley and fan? when i put them on the pulley has quite a bit of wobble in it. the fan doesn't pull tight against it. the pump looks and fits correctly but the "rod" that comes out the center of it keeps the fan from seating against the pulley. am i missing something here or have i wasted three days and put the wrong pump on?

Pic would help.

The FAN CLUTCH should fit snugly on the Water Pump flange - over the studs - 4 nuts will hold it on. Fan bolts to the Fan Clutch.

Pic would help.

The FAN CLUTCH should fit snugly on the Water Pump flange - over the studs - 4 nuts will hold it on. Fan bolts to the Fan Clutch.

don't have the ability to post pics right now. i never pulled the fan/fan clutch apart. when i put the fan clutch on the water pump there is about an 1/8" gap. i can pull it down tight with the 4 nuts but the space allows the belt pulley behind the fan clutch to wobble significantly. seems that the flange is too long to allow the clutch assembly to seat correctly.

Dunno - hard to say what's what without seeing it. But in any case, it doesn't sound right. There should be NO wobble anywhere.

What's the part # and brand of the water pump you bought?

Edit -- if you can take a cell-phone pic, you can send it to me and I'll post it. PM me if you want my #

it's an aisin pump, pn 57-1228. pm will be sent shortly.

This is a 2F, right ?

Aisin pump should be WPT028, unless they've changed the part # ... Or is that the RETAILER's stock # ?

This is what a 2F pump should look like:
pump0003.jpg
pump0001.jpg

Last edited:
This is a 2F, right ?

Aisin pump should be WPT028, unless they've changed the part # ... Or is that the RETAILER's stock # ?

yes 2f. could be retailer stock number. don't have the box, they kept it for the core charge. pump looks identical to the one i removed. made sure to take the old one in and compare since they gave me the wrong one the first time.

New pump, yes, not rebuilt ? (Just tryin' to cover all possibilities...)

i think it's rebuilt by a1 cardone. i'm 99% certain it's the correct pump. bolted up the same, looks the same, all the hoses fit the same but the fan clutch just doesn't slide all the way onto the flange. maybe a rebuilder defect.

You are putting the pulley on, between the Fan Clutch and the WP flange ? If yes, the rebuild may be fugly.

And FWIW, I'd never buy a reman WP, when new are cheap.

That's all I got.

:meh:

yeah i know but i was quoted $530 from toyota and this is the only one i could find locally. she's the dd so i was trying to get her back up and running asap. looks like i'll have to pull it off and order a new one anyway. thanks for your help.

thanks for the feedback scott but unless you know a better place to buy an oem pump i'll have to go aftermarket. called toyota this morning and just can't justify $530 for a water pump on a truck i paid $1700 for.

Whoa! you must have called your local dealer!

Use Cruiser Dan on here. Do a search for him and call him up and let him know you're a MUD member. It'll be WAY cheaper than what you found it for, I'm sure.

Edit: Here, I even found him for you:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/cruiserdan.html

Last edited:
16110-61081

1sttoyotaparts.com

$75

turns out to be a problem with the rebuild. rather than pull it off and start over i just took a die grinder and bored out the opening on the back of the fan clutch. took a couple 1000ths off and it fit just fine. thanks for all the feedback.

:clap:

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom