Just broke my my new FJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought this thing yesterday. Lq9 backed by a th400 with np205 twin stick. I was driving on the street and stabbed the gas to merge and bam. Broke the rear tail shaft and broke the u joint, which then fxxxed up my rear ds. Anybody have one for sale? I saw tci has TH400 4X4 StreetFighter - TCI® Auto maximizer trans. Does anybody have any history/ input on this trans?

V8 You probably have a custom length driveshaft. How long was determined by where they placed the engine during the transplant. Might want to take the DS to a shop to see what they can do. Might be cheaper then buying a used DS then having a shop resize it. I've never run anything but Toyota running gear in a FJ40 and have no history with that setup, sorry.

So pictured and measurement would help. Distance btwn tcase output and pinion, angle of pinion, angle of tcase flange. Looking at relative angles of tcase and pinion as a possible contributer to breakage.

My ds is a custom made one that he had shortned. Im just going to have them try and fix the yoke and or replace if necessary. My question was geared towards the TCI transmission. Sorry to confuse you guys.

My thought was that depending on your DS setup, it could have contributed to the tail shaft failure... It doesn't seem to be a common failure point for the NP205.

I'd be pissed and kinda suspect if something that major blew up on my truck the same day I bought it.

Also, just some friendly advice/ribbing: Many Land Cruiser owners take exception to Cruisers being referred to as an "FJ". FJ40's are referred to as "FJ40" or "40" not "FJ". FJ Cruisers are "FJ's", they are not Land Cruisers.

Last edited:
Isn't the NP205 a centered rear shaft? What rear end do you have? It is likely a custom shaft that isn't Landcruiser based.

If your rear diff is still offset, it'll stress the NP205 in ways it wasn't designed to handle... there is a good chance that the PO may have run it hard and it was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. The PO could have even known it was on its last legs.

Thanks for the heads up.
The 40 has a d60 in the rear and d44 up front. So yes it is a center diff.

You are in the Bay area so you might want to ask Georg at Valley Hybrids or Gary at Mudrak their experience with it.

Mike

You are in the Bay area so you might want to ask Georg at Valley Hybrids or Gary at Mudrak their experience with it.

Mike

Go directly to Georg. Before he went into business for himself he worked in a transmission parts house in Stockton. He knows all the local rebuilders and can steer you in the right direction if he can't help you himself.

actually just got back from picking up a th400 from a guy in santa cruz. Now i i just need to bolt it in and get the ds redone and hopefully ill be rocking

actually just got back from picking up a th400 from a guy in santa cruz. Now i i just need to bolt it in and get the ds redone and hopefully ill be rocking

if you don't fix the real problem, you'll most likely be doing this again.

My thought was that depending on your DS setup, it could have contributed to the tail shaft failure... It doesn't seem to be a common failure point for the NP205.

I'd be pissed and kinda suspect if something that major blew up on my truck the same day I bought it.

I dunno, I like how he said he jumped on it then it broke - mostly saying it seemed his deal. Solid traction with 400 hp in front of it does terrible things to rear driveshafts and stock rear axles. Heck it can do terrible things to mildly warmed stuff too. I sold a lot of cars, boats, and trucks that I've raced (on racetracks), and I hear a few days or months later that the new owner blew it up - what worked great for me, didn't do so well for them.... kind of part of the deal with running non-stock stuff.

Now with that said, a 205 is a center output so one would presume at minimum a minitruck rear axle? if that's true, new driveshafts from places like Tom Wood isn't that expensive and, since it seems there's little stock there, might be the only way to go.

The OP has a D60, but I'm confused why he needs a new trans when the way he describes the damage, the NP205 tail shaft broke and that destroyed the driveshaft.
However, I'm now thinking that he has a divorced NP205 and that is the shaft that broke? :hmm:

13887075_10153683780910759_6147681835609500082_n.jpg

if you don't fix the real problem, you'll most likely be doing this again.
My friend thinks that the two holes on the side of the passenger side of the tc should have a torque bar that goes to the frame to keep it from twisting. Also Maybe put a ladder bar type system on the pumpkin. Not sure if all that is needed. Although I dont want to spend another 2k for a trans and ds again either.

what support do you have under the transfer case? I know of people who thought they could hang a 205 off the back of their turbo 400... they were both wrong. You must support the t-case - best way is to add a brace behind the case from frame rail to frame rail.

Exactly! The trans is not meant to support the tcase. Too much torque, especially with that engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom