Just bought our '65 FJ40. Lots of question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all,

Just purchased our '65 FJ40. Reading the FAQs learned a lot. We are lucky that this is an AZ vehicle. But will start digging into xfer case and tranny for seal and bearing replacements this weekend. Likely to follow will be the electrical system and axle seals.

Does anyone have any idea of the dash layout as far as switches and knobs go? I can't find any info on where the windshield switch would go or what the various lights on the dash are for? You would think there would be indentations or knockouts for the various options such as a heater switch or windshield wiper switch.
58578730167__7ECFCE03-420C-476D-925C-CD230F3A2994.jpg

Also, we have the aftermarket chrome wheels for 31"x 10.5"x 15" tires. I am interested in putting these tires back on factory steel wheels as rust is coming through the chrome.

Also, was there any info on build out options for these vehicles by VIN or otherwise?
IMG_5666.jpeg

Thanks all

GeoW5
IMG_5666.jpeg
58578728702__F72EB03C-0256-4623-BB92-51020DF79157.JPG
58578730167__7ECFCE03-420C-476D-925C-CD230F3A2994.jpg
IMG_5691.jpeg
IMG_5692.jpeg

Looks like none of the dash is original, and these days you can spend a fortune replacing all the original switches and knobs if they can be located. No options can be deciphered they the vin #. Only real options were lockout hubs, hubcaps, and a pto winch. Windshield frame is later as well, should have a vent that opens for fresh air. Welcome to the 40 world, early trucks are fun but getting hard to source all the early parts. Nice gpw!

Welcome aboard! Dash on the 65 was pretty spartan, but there plenty are folks here with original 40's who can share pictures. Interesting cut on the half doors.

VIN doesn't tell you much except model and order of production.

Welcome aboard! Dash on the 65 was pretty spartan, but there plenty are folks here with original 40's who can share pictures. Interesting cut on the half doors.

VIN doesn't tell you much except model and order of production.
not sure why they cut the doors that way, but its what I have for now. going to put a bestop bikini and then a full top with soft full doors for the winter months.

You might try to go to Specter(sor.com) to see what they show on dash layouts.

Usually their website is pretty helpful for their exploded diagrams. However, I wouldn't consider their stuff to be complete gospel... the 55 guys have found at least one issue regarding the front bench seat ;)

They have been extremely helpful on the phone. already ordered a ton of parts and some books.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the club house ONSC- Olde North State Cruisers. They are a local north carolina state cruiser club. Since it is a '65 (same as mine), check out the FJ25 Owners group section. Just fair warning, your cruiser is far from stock. It is still a great looking vehicle. Good luck. Post some more engine bay pictures!

Looks like none of the dash is original, and these days you can spend a fortune replacing all the original switches and knobs if they can be located. No options can be deciphered they the vin #. Only real options were lockout hubs, hubcaps, and a pto winch. Windshield frame is later as well, should have a vent that opens for fresh air. Welcome to the 40 world, early trucks are fun but getting hard to source all the early parts. Nice gpw!

The heater was a option in 65 in the US market. Have the vent in the side of the cowl it had the option from the factory. Looking think the vent is the windshield has been cover up. Plus the fact the vent is the center of the cowl is not there backs that up. It would have had one or the other. Looks like it could have the channel on the windshield for the soft top but has barn doors so was a hard top. Running boards are also newer.

I also have 2 late-64 (1965 titled) FJ40s. What is your VIN? It will help me determine when in (possibly) 1964 yours came off the line.

Here's a late-64 build FJ40, with the original windshield.
IMG_3031Artboard 1.jpg

Here's what the inside of the windshield is supposed to look like. There's a whole mechanism for the exterior vent flap.
IMG_3428.jpg

Here's the original dash layout. The only things wrong here are that the top left toggle switch is supposed to be a push/pull switch for the interior dome light and the choke cable should say choke.
IMG_3378.jpg

I also have 2 late-64 (1965 titled) FJ40s. What is your VIN? It will help me determine when in (possibly) 1964 yours came off the line.

Specter Off Road have a production chart that starts in January 1964. Easy to tell what month a 64 was built.

Here's a late-64 build FJ40, with the original windshield.
View attachment 2045294

Here's what the inside of the windshield is supposed to look like. There's a whole mechanism for the exterior vent flap.
View attachment 2045295

Here's the original dash layout. The only things wrong here are that the top left toggle switch is supposed to be a push/pull switch for the interior dome light and the choke cable should say choke.
View attachment 2045296
Thank you for the pics. The windshield not being original to the vehicle explains why there is not a windshield wiper knob.

They have been extremely helpful on the phone. already ordered a ton of parts and some books.
We have vendors on the forum who can usually save you a bunch of cash. Cruiser Outfiiters, Curt is great to work with. Cityracer Llc, not a vendor but good parts.

Ok the Jeep in the pic is actually a 1951 Willy’s M38. Mostly all original except engine tranny and xfer case. In the back of the garage is another M38 that I am going to pull the drive train out and rebuild and put into the running M38 which has a drive train from ‘48 CJ2A that is tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom