1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought one! Looking for Advice

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by SOCAL_FJ60, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SOCAL_FJ60

SOCAL_FJ60

I just bought an 84 FJ60, love it, don't know too much about them, hope I came to the right place.

TIRES - The truck currently has 31/10.5/15 tires on the stock chrome rims. They are cracked and probably need replacing (right?). The suspension is not lifted as far as I know. What would you recommend for replacement and replacement size? It has BFG All terrains. I like the dueller revos. Its dry here in LA, and I drive the truck on the street a bunch, but will enjoy weekend lighter offroading trips.

EXHAUST - I bought the truck with an exhaust leak. Should I stick with stock, or are they aftermarket mufflers/systems that sound great with the FJ60s engine?

SEAT COVERS - it came with soiled stock ones. Do they respond to steam cleaning or should they be replaced. Ive found SOR's but they are pricy. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

2. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    stock is best for the anything in these rides for the most part.and for the covers if you get them try ebay i got a bling bling set for 30 bucks .if you want to look at my history to find out try cruisor 75 on there.im to lazy to find it for you:D

3. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    yes change the tires i fing 31/10/50 is to wide on a stock rim they wear in the middle .but im not sure how wide your rim is

4. CSA

CSA

5. corsair23

corsair23 SILVER Star

Can't provide any insight on most of this stuff but I can give you some first hand experience on the Revos...

I've had a set for about 3 years now. Nice tires, no too loud, and about a gazillion times better that the Goodyear RSAs that came OEM on my non-FJ DD...

They seem good in all types of weather but I have NOT been impressed with the wear. The tires probably only have 15K, maybe 20K on them and they appear to be well under 50% tread. For a tire with a 50K mile rating I expected better. I spoke to the place I bought them from and they gave me a song and dance that the 50K mile "rating" is for advertising purposes or some non-sense. Said to come back when they get wore down even more and they would discuss it at that point. This is a 100% street rig weighing in at about 5000 lbs. Maybe on a lighter vehicle they'd wear a little better...

Food for thought.

6. FJ60-Hokie

FJ60-Hokie

Change the tires. I have a set with cracks. I blew out my left front and it inalated my front fender last week. My rig didn't even have a dent until then. Now I have to replace the whole left corner.

Try 4Wheel Parts. They have a great deal on BFGs right now. I am picking up a set on plastic.

7. bundy18

bundy18

i'm sure you know this just spend time looking on here (yes you're in the right place) and you will find all of the info you could possibly want
    yes i would replace the tires, with what is up to you

8. zcruiser

zcruiser Needs monitoring

Try the BFG AT 32x11.5's on your stock rims. Even w/o a lift I think they will clear fine exc under hard wheeling. I have a 2.5" OME lift...

[​IMG]

9. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome and where in the LA area are you??? Can't recommed any tires cause I am runnin 37"ers and its not a DD and hasn't been in years...got some seats you moight wanna look at if you go the replacemnet route..

10. Heartworm

Heartworm

Welcome

If your tires look questionable, that should be your first purchase. I run 33X9.5X15 BFG AT KO. really like them but I hear that they are being discontinued. I have not had any clearance issues with my 33X9.5s but I do not wheel hard. I would encourage you to look hard at the 32 inch tire because with the 33s you will pick up "rubber overdrive" which is great on flat highway but sucks on an incline. The 32 might be a better match. (by a little).

The Toyota muffler/tailpipe is relatively cheap ($130) but you may need those little rubber isolators for the hangers. I am in a non-smog state so I pulled my CAT. You will find that if you remove your CAT that your exhaust will be louder.

In regard to seats, the stock seat foam pad on the 60s gradually flattens and should be replaced to be comfortable. Some people swap the drivers and passengers seat bottoms. SOR sells an expensive replacement pad which I bought and have not regretted for a minute. You will be sitting about 1-2 inches higher and much more comfortable. Seat covers range from the basic Wal-Mart stuff to the high end stock replacements (SOR). I got the Wet Okoles direct from the company and really like them..spendy, but you can get exactly the colors you want and they fit like a glove.

Good luck

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">