Just Bought my first TLC -1989 FJ62-already need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have wanted one since I was a kid, only took 35 years to get one. I think it's in good shape, 232 K on the odometer, paid $2200 on ebay, that's right, ebay . It runs great or at least it did for 5 hour trip home. Anyway I still think it was a good deal since I only bought it to get on the beach here in Wilmington, NC

Potential Problem (s): center area of undercarriage seems pretty well covered with some sludge and wet transmission fluid . Couple of drips on the driveway where it has sat for 3 days but none leaks while I run it for ten minutes or so. I am planning to have someone look it all over (little spooked about it actually due to $$$)

Any wisdom or possible diagnosis?? My knowledge consist of fluid changes, that's all..

Thanks in advance..

If the leak is tranny fluid, it will be expensive to fix.

If the leak is gear oil-you may just need a t-case output seal-easy and cheap.

If motor oil, there are many choices:
Rear main-expensive (cheap part, $$$ labor)
Oil pan gasket-cheap to do yourself, otherwise $$
Lots of misc gasket and seals to leak

The first step is to find out where the leak is coming from. Clean off the crud really well, drive for a day, then investigate. Post pics if possible. I hope it isn't tranny fluid, though if it is, look at the power steering pump and hoses before you panic.

232k, seals wear out. All there is to it. Take it to a DIY car wash, one within walking distance... and give the under carraige a good cleaning with degreaser. You can also hit the engine compartment but be carefull with high pressure water under the hood. Once everything is "clean" you can start to determine what is leaking and what is just weeping.

Now when it does not start after being sprayed under the hood walk home and get the tools needed to dry out the distributor...

Chip B said:
I have wanted one since I was a kid, only took 35 years to get one. I think it's in good shape, 232 K on the odometer, paid $2200 on ebay, that's right, ebay . It runs great or at least it did for 5 hour trip home. Anyway I still think it was a good deal since I only bought it to get on the beach here in Wilmington, NC

Potential Problem (s): center area of undercarriage seems pretty well covered with some sludge and wet transmission fluid . Couple of drips on the driveway where it has sat for 3 days but none leaks while I run it for ten minutes or so. I am planning to have someone look it all over (little spooked about it actually due to $$$)

Any wisdom or possible diagnosis?? My knowledge consist of fluid changes, that's all..

Thanks in advance..

"Center Area of Undercarriage" you mentioned might be from PO over greasing the U-joints. Tends to sling grease around pretty good. Any idea when trans filter and gasket were replaced last? Easy job and definetly a good idea...trans over hauls are a little pricey for these rigs. Oil pan gasket is another easy one to replace without much labor. All other gasket/seals require a little more work (front timing cover, rear main and t/c...).

Don't forget to adjust those valves with every tune-up (15K)!!!

Good luck and CONGRATS!!!

Tim

Depending on how much you drive it, leaking fluids doesn't have to be a disaster. If you kep them topped up, you'll not have any failures. Sometimes just refilling is cheaper/easier than fixing the leak.

But, as the posts above suggested, figure out what's leaking first. Then post up, and we'll offer more specific advice...

You have to get dirty.
Scrape as much of the crud off as you can.
Soak the rest with degreaser, especially the transmission, transfer case and bottom of the engine.
Use a pressure washer of wishy washy car wash and spray off the underside as clean as you can. then spray degreaser again and wash again.
With all of the crud gone drive some to get all the juices flowing and heated up. Then get under and see if you can find out where it is leaking from.
Is it transmission fluid or gear oil? or something else?
When you find out where it is leaking you can plan steps to repair it.
Congrats and remember to have fun.

The built-up crud is most likely grease from the u-joints mixed with years of dirt. A few drips on the driveway in three days is actually not bad for a 16 year old car. I bought an 88 and had the same crud underneath and the lower half of my engine was a mess. Like everyone has said, I cleaned it with degreaser(I used Floway from Kreen)and you`ll be surprised to realize how minimal your leaks are. Its just the build-up of years that make it look so bad.
If you got a cruiser that is`nt rusted out and the transmission and engine ran solid on a five hour trip home, you got a good deal. Buyers remorse will wear off in a few weeks and you`re going to love that cruiser.

but this is what i did to remove the built up gease and oil.
in NJ, here are no do-it-yourself car washes.
i bought a few cans of spray on Gunk, and kept them in my truck at work untill one day when it was supposed to , and did, real hard. just as it began, i crawled under the truck, and sprayed the crap out of the undernieth of the engine, and front end,
the proceeded to drive at home, hitting all the puddles i could.
TA-DA... took almost all but the stubborn dirt-trapped grease and oil off.
hammer

Thanks for the great advice everyone

I'll clean it up this weekend & post pics of any visable leaks.

This is really a great forum and I'm proud/excited to be a part of it... :cheers:

Old trucks leak a bit. No biggie. All the advice above is correct except that leaking ATF is not necessarily big $$$. If the underside of the truck is rusty, it's possibly that the ATF coolant lines have rusted out. You can replace them with simple rubber lines for cheap - it's a low pressure system and rubber hose with clamps is fine. If this is the case let us know and we can give you tips on how to make it an easy, cheap, and high quality repair.

Next: Welcome to our obsession! The FJ62 is a great Cruiser and you will love it. Two things you MUST do:

1. Join the 3FE list and peruse the accumulated knowledge on the 3FE website. Your engine is a 3FE, and was only made for a few years of Cruisers - FJ62's and '91 and '92 FJ80s - it is a slightly different animal than other Cruiser engines, and the FJ62 was the first auto tranny Cruiser. There is an email based community on Yahoo called the 3FE list that contains the most knowledgeable and friendly group of 3FE owners that exists. Go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE/, go to the files section, read the introductory welcome message, then start reading all of the stuff in the fixes/lessons learned folder. Send a message to the list introducing yourself. Search the 3FE archives at http://www.birfield.com/archives/ for specific questions.

2. You MUST buy a Toyota Factory Service Manual. Get the 1989 or 1990 Land Cruiser manual - the same info as the earlier manuals, but all in one volume so it's less expensive. About $67 plus shipping directly from Toyota Publications, 800-622-2033 - the best spent $70 you will ever spend on your Cruiser. Other manuals (Haynes, Chiltons, etc) are crap in comparison.

:cheers:

One more thing to add to Sean's great advice...

On the ATF, it may just be the pan gasket or needing to re-tighten the pan bolts. Easy to do, just a little messy. Also look carefully at the transmission lines as he stated. Also easy to fix.

Welcome.

Mark

It might not be anything, how fast were you driving, when i go over 75 my rear seal startes to leak just a little, but around town it never leaks, have talked to a few other cruiser guys and they say the same thing, my fj 62 has 117,500 mi, let me know

I just bought an 89 fj62 myself with similar gunk build up. Turned out to be blow-back from a leaky valve cover gasket. A good cleaning should show you where the leak is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom