Just bought my first Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, a couple weeks ago I bought a 2002 Land Cruiser. Its in pretty good mechanical shape, cosmetically not the best, has dings and scratches all over.
It has 208k miles on it and I spent 13k plus 1k to register, title, tax it in my name so 14k total. My whole family though I was nuts for spending that much on a high mileage car but I told them "its a land cruiser it will run forever" lol

My question is this, it had its timing belt replaced at 125k miles and it needs a new ac compressor. I was quoted by a local shop that only works on Japanese cars, $1,300 for the timing belts and $1,200 for the ac compressor. Is this accurate? Also is it ok to wait another 20k miles before I have the belt replaced?

Thanks

$1300 for timing belt, water pump, and pulleys is ok if all OEM or Aisin. Maybe buy a fan bracket for $150 and they can throw it in too.

The belt is likely fine for another 20k, but you can take a peek by taking off the passenger side cam cover.

Just did this on my wife’s car. $1200 for the AC compressor is high. If they are using OEM, it will cost about $1300 in parts for timing belt items. Is $1300 labor or labor and parts? I did the fan bracket and new alternator while I am in there. I replaced all idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner, serpentine idlers and tensioner, new thermostat, new radiator hoses. Some pics to show what it takes. Not hard. Just have to be organized. Also attached is the parts list from Olathe Toyota (Note list has two similar idlers for timing belt idler. I had to order idler attached separately. It was cheaper than my local dealer. Fan bracket was also not on parts list. Get the factory service manual if you are doing it yourself. There are some good videos on line.

4216AC2C-CBE9-4E1A-A784-0F2514D919C9.jpeg

773CBC23-0C64-4333-AF2E-E5BFBE30D4ED.jpeg

2DFBAB1A-F2B7-4FDC-9F13-7575D42EB717.jpeg

5E04B28F-72E1-46AF-9DA9-29742FAD4DA1.jpeg

BBDF490A-476C-4FB0-B2D9-A474FC0F543F.jpeg

2DB99135-C4CA-4206-8E71-B31C1E0AAAA7.jpeg

$2500 for both? Find another shop. The AC compressor takes 10 minutes and 3 extra bolts when a timing belt job is being done.

It took me an hour to swap my busted ac compressor with everything in place.

Order the parts from @cruiseroutfit and you'll get Aisin parts for less than the dealer pricing.

2UZ timing belt kit includes
  • 1 x Water Pump
  • 1 x Water Pump Gasket
  • 1 x Timing Belt
  • 1 x Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly
  • 1 x Water Bypass Pipe O-Ring
  • 1 x Water Inlet Housing O-Ring
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #2
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #1
  • 2 x Camshaft Seals
  • 1 x Crank Seal
  • 1 x Timing Belt Cover Gasket Insert
Shop by Category - Engine - Timing Belt / Chain Kits & Components - Timing Belt Kits - Cruiser Teq - https://cruiserteq.com/timing-belt-kits-1/

They also have the other parts you should replace while you do this like the heater Tees

+1 for the Aisin kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom