just bought my first cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Ive been looking to buy a fj62 cruiser for the last couple of months and finally found one i like... 1990, gray, no rust and with 111000 miles :D :D . Prior to this i had a 1990 jeep xj w/a 6.5'' lift and 33's. It was fun but was always breaking down. I bought the cruiser off e bay so it will be a few weeks until i recieve it since it has be shipped from Rhode Island to Reno, Nevada. Anyways, looks like this forum is a great place for info and i'll post a few pics of the beast when it finally arrives.. Later

Welcome!

While you are waiting, check out the info in the FAQ. You'll get up to speed with your cruiser that much faster - plus you'll have a better idea of what things to do as "baseline" work. also, might as well purchase the FSM (Field Service Manual) - it is THE guide all of us use to work on our cruisers.

Welcome to mud!!! and enjoy your land cruiser.
you'll find all the help you need in here :cheers:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: post the pics!!!!

welcome to the club!!! hope you have a good sense of humor, we all like to have a good laugh at ourselves here and there...

AWESOME and welcome to mud. you will be very happy with your decision to get rid of the jeep and all your friends will tell you how much more they like the cruiser. trust me i know

Thanks, i know i'm going to like it here... Here is a link to a pick copied from the ebay auction:

view

Yes it is stock but that wont last for long. About the service manual, should i just spend the few extra bones and go with the toyota brand FSM over one like a chilton? I had a chilton for my jeep and it sucked. I think it was written by an illiterate lawn mower mechanic... Brett76, you are right about getting rid of the heep...umm i mean jeep. My friends already think i'm cooler and a few girls have already requested rides even though i wont have the cruiser for a few weeks. :cool:

I assume you plan on doing a lift and some larger meats? That truck is begging for them.

With that low of mileage you will have many many years of enjoyment without doing any engine work. Expect it to go at 200K at the minimum and plenty are well past that.

It isn't a Chrysler/Jeep product remember... Toyota quality man! :grinpimp:

definitely get the fsm
do not skimp in this. look for cruiser dan on the boards here and pm hm or call american toyota

Saw your crusier

Hi,
I looked at your crusier yesterday in Providence. I saw it on ebay and went to take a look. It is in nice shape but sorry to tell you it is not rust free. There are several rust spots around the vehicle. They are not visible in the photos on ebay. Someone has tried to patch the rust bubbles. The lower RF fender and lower drivers door has the worst. There are also spots on the passenger door and upper rear hatch. There is also some bad scratches on the RR quarter. I also noticed some rusting on the frame but did not go completely under the vehicle. I don't want to burst your bubbble on your purchase. I just would not want you to be disappointed after shipping a vehicle that far! I saw the truck on ebay and went to take a look(its local to me). Don't get me wrong its not in bad shape. The pictures just don't show the whole story. If you want more info email me your phone # and I'll give you a call. Welcome to the site and good luck with your crusier.

Rhode Island and no rust?

(ktrayner beat me to it, sorry dude)

buying online

you can't trust the pictures. I have a 87 rust bucket that Iam trying to restore. The worst part is someone broke into it and destroyed the dash and drivers door. I will find them!!!!

This will prove to be your most resourceful Cruiser place. Read the archives for all kinds of useful info and ....welcome!

saw it

Looked at that cruiser too, but did`nt drive it. My `88 is such an incredible vehicle I was looking for something low mileage and really clean. Your truck has some of the same minor rust issues mine does. Still, I think you got a decent deal and are going to love that thing. I would have bought it if I did`nt already have one in similar condition.
There is plenty of good advice for new owners on this forum, I followed it and could`nt be happier I took the plunge and bought a 62.

If it is`nt perfect, don`t sweat it, its an amazing vehicle.

yeah, I think I saw your new rig, too.

Grey, right? He was having breakfast at Dunkin Donuts, sitting at a table with two pretty good lookin chicks, drinking a coffee

Didn't look like any rust was slowin' him down

you fix that bad boy and have a great next 200K mi

thanks for the heads up guys... after zooming in on some of those pics i began to see some signs of rust... yeah the price was still a descent deal, but i feel a bit cheated by the seller :mad: .. the ad specifically said MINIMAL rust, excellent condition and when i talked to the guy on the phone i specifically asked him, "To what extent is the car rusted?"... his reply was two or three quarter sized surface rust spots on the paint... superficial only... ktrayner, i'm gunna email you my number for some more details on this if thats ok. Any idea if this is an < $1000 fix, including a new paint job?

I just purchased my first land cruiser. I am loyal toyota fan, but thought I would upgrade from my 99 tacoma 4x4 to a real vehicle. I have encountered some difficulties getting the cruiser safe to drive. The biggest problem is that the upper rear tube shock mount is busted. I ordered a replacement, but was wondering if anyone knows of a better aftermarket setup or any advice on mounting the stock one??

Sorry for leaving out the year and model in my first post. FJ62 1988. I too bought mine off of ebay. Buyers beware!! Little rust on the body, but the under carridge needs some work. Rust and the wrong shocks did my mount in.

Welcome to the club. This place is a great resource to start fixing you rig up. Check out the FAQ and add you FJ to the registry when you get it and get sorted.

Minimal rust is subjective here in the NE where you will find more rust on some newer cars and trucks. Glad I just finished the POR15 on mine tonight. Got it in my hair though :crybaby:

Also good to see another VW enthusiast in the club ;)

I have 2000 B5 that I have done a lot to.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom