Just bought my first 80-Series - many pics! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ahoy Mateys!

After like 6 years of wishing I had one, I finally traded my Tacoma Prerunner for an awesome 1995 Land Cruiser. So far, I couldn't be happier.

She has 190,000 miles. Open diffs, rust free, perfect interior. Exterior pretty good too, but not perfect. Previous owner changed PHH and all rubber hoses, front and rear diff fluid, and t-case fluid. Carfax shows transmission service and coolant flush at 168k. I changed the oil, put on front brakes, repaired a leaky AC valve, replaced a corroded battery cable and had a new windshield installed by Safelite (still leaking after they tried to re-seal 3 time arrrg!) immediately after I bought it. The only leak is a power steering hose with some seepage. I'll handle that later.

Here she is the day we brought her home, from 250 miles and 1 state away - after a good bath.

First round of upgrades took place the very first week! Scangauge, floor mats and 2 cup-holders. :)

With the Scangauge, I felt I could bring her to the mountains for a cruise on some Forest Service roads - nothing crazy, but at least some non-pavement. Temps stay around 193-195 on the highway, about 195-205 on the trails. We did take the steepest road in all of Georgia, one of the few 4x4 ONLY roads (10+ minutes of super steep incline) and temps did get up to 220. But she handled great other than that. No squeaks or noises.

Feeling pretty satisfied with her current condition and performance, I ordered a lift. I have no plans for bumpers or roof rack. Only weight I carry is the spare tire now in the rear interior. So, I got the Dobinsons 2.5 inch level lift (2.5 front, 2.0 rear). I also picked up the OEM extended brake lines I found here on this awesome forum. Installed everything EXCEPT I did not install the castor correction bushings supplied with the kit yet.

Here she is with the lift installed, yesterday.

It just so happens a buddy of mine just bought a set of 315's for his pickup truck, but they were too small - he wanted 37s. He made me a killer deal for 5 Cooper STT Pros that I just couldn't pass up (I originally was going to go with 33's) so he could order his new tires. Got those on today. I'm really happy with the way she turned out. I intended to remove the running boards, but I like the way they look on I think.... at least until I get some sliders next year.

Rides just awesome. Previous owner installed brand new LX450 shocks an the springs were in good shape, so I was worried I was going to ruin the nice ride - but still rides great. I test drove it and ride so good, I didn't put in the caster correction bushings. Had an alignment shop adjust the toe when put on the tires and I can see the caster is out, so I guess I should install the bushings....

I am also going to order front and rear sway bar extensions, and the Delta rear panhard correction bracket along with the 2 inch rear bump stop extenders from Slee. I think that will finish up the suspension, unless I'm missing something.

I have an appointment with ACC here in Atlanta next month to have a snorkel installed. Wanted to leave the cutting to the pros. They are also going to install the CDL switch while it's there.

NEXT spring, a year from now, I will do "phase 2" which is to re-gear to 4.88's and add e-lockers. But, need a few more paychecks for that stuff. I am also going to have a local experienced shop rebuild the Birfields later this summer, again after a few paychecks. They aren't clicking or binding, but there is an ever so slight leak from one of them. I'm also putting a little away each paycheck for a future head gasket repair, although there is no evidence of any issues currently.

SO, I am open to any and all advice and suggestions. I am in love with this one so far and plan to keep it forever. I read up on the forum, and the sticky threads. Have had friends with Land Cruisers for years, but this is my first. Had a Jeep before my Tacoma, so not new to 4x4.

Here she is from a run to Burger King a few hours ago. Could have went through the drive-thru, but wanted to come out and walk up to her :D

Last edited:
Awesome truck! Seems like a nice, unmolested example. Great color and you’re super lucky to have found a cloth interior!
Welcome :flipoff2:

I had same seats they were custom from a 4runner they were good seats. I think I gave them to another mud guy.

Looking good. Love that Dobinsons stuff. Another reason for an Atlanta get together. What part of town are you in?

Looking good. Love that Dobinsons stuff. Another reason for an Atlanta get together. What part of town are you in?

Thanks! I originally intended to go with OME, but when people heard I wasn't planning on bumpers, winch, tire carrier, roof rack, etc - it was recommended I look into Dobinsons instead. I messaged Crikey Mike right on this forum and he took care of me.

I'm in Gwinnett. I'm the Georgia mapper for Trailsoffroad so I'm on the trails multiple times per week Mondays-Thursdays.

Congratulations on the find. The birfield repack is not a difficult task, just messy. You could borrow a 54mm socket from a member near you. Or better yet, invite them over for the fun.

Looks like a nice, clean truck, and grey interior too!

CDL switch install isn't difficult, I'd do that one myself so you don't have to save so many paychecks for other mods.

If you think it rides nice now, just wait till you get the castor corrections bushings in, and the Delta rear panhard bracket on!

Congrats on the pick-up. There's so much sht to uncover, but super random stuff off the top of my head...

-Check your c-pillar to see if there's a crack developing
-When you re-do the windshield install, consider getting OEM glass and OEM gasket and make sure you see for yourself that there's no rust behind it (install procedure and installer are key)
-OEM parts galore to replace over time assuming they're still avail
-Caster correction bushings are a waste of air; go with plates or Delta arms
-Install the Wits' End full OEM suspension refresh kit

"Ride so good" is relative. Once you start dialing it in, you'll realize what a jalopy it was prior to getting stuff sorted. At least that was the case for me and I bought a seriously clean 80.

Labor of love, dude. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Very nice. What FS roads were you on in the pictures?
Thanks!

Took her down FSR 516 (aka Stone Place), to Lake Tugalo - that's the steep one. There is a 4x4 only warning at the top due to the steep grade. The pictures are on Porter Gap Road (FSR 977) that I was updating for trailsoffroad, and along Stekoa Creek along Wolf Creek Road (not a FSR).

-Check your c-pillar to see if there's a crack developing
-When you re-do the windshield install, consider getting OEM glass and OEM gasket and make sure you see for yourself that there's no rust behind it (install procedure and installer are key)

Thanks for all the great info! In regards to the windshield, the original when I bought it wasn't leaking, just had rock chips. Since it's under Safelites warranty, I've been letting them try to get it right. Seems like a poor choice on my part, but they refunded 100% of my money on the job so it's basically a free new windshield.

First time it was done leaked real bad, a puddle on my floor. Went back, he told me they use some kind of liquid sealer from the factory and previous tech didnt know and didn't use it. So re-did it a second time and it has a slight leak, no puddle but it does drip in the same spot (drivers side lower corner).

I can request Safelite buy OEM gasket and sealer, but they probably wont get OEM glass.

Nice truck! Is that green or blue? My eyes are starting to fail me.

Nice man! I'm in Gwinnett too. Hit me up if you need any help wrenching or want company on a trip to the mountains. My 80 has been begging to get dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom