Just Bought My 2nd 40 - 1969 Hardtop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
She had to borrow my 74's front right hoof to make it home. :)
both_my_girls.jpg

Nice looking cruiser! What are your plans for it? I have a 7/69, it has a great body -good metal to start with. Good luck with your new Toy.:cheers: Brendon

Thanks Guys

My plans for this one after looking at for an hour:

1. Brakes / Tires so I can drive it around.

2. ID the chevy 6 and asess how well the mating to the toyo transmission was done. Replace some broken motor mounts.

3. Dump all fluids.

4. Get some new seats and find / fab some mounts.

5. Drive it around while i'm deciding if I want to rebuild the chevy that's in it, or stick a f/2f in it.

6. Buy Beer and tear down to frame.

6.5 (watch money vaporize)

7. Buy more beer and rebuild !
:cheers:

My plans for this one after looking at for an hour:

2. ID the chevy 6 and asess how well the mating to the toyo transmission was done. Replace some broken motor mounts.

Can you post some pics of this motor?

How tall are the lifter side covers? The Chev 292 has a tall side cover, about 6 inches, while the smaller motors are about 4+ inches. The 292 is a truck motor so it was designed to be a torque monster.

The Chev I-6 motors have seven main bearings while the F/2F have five.

Both Chev and F/2F are low compression so have lots of potential for upgrades.

The Chev motors are full flow oiling like the 2F.

The Chev motor will be less expensive to rebuild,easier to find parts for.

Just a bit of info and pro/con for you.

Don

Last edited:
I decided to jump to step 6

Yesterday, i decided to tear it down as it will make step 3 easier.

about 9 hours total. I hae the 4 bolts at the rear, and steering column left holding the tub on.
teardown (10)_sm.jpg
teardown_sm.jpg

Thank you for the info, Don.

My

Can you post some pics of this motor?

How tall are the lifter side covers?

Don

The side covers are 6 inches. Thank you for the ID.

When I get the tub off I will post detailed photos of the mounting the PO had arranged.

Do you know if this was a common swap at some point?

Mike

I would definitely like to see detailed photos of the motor, tranny and mounts. I know that the 292 has been swapped before, but I haven't seen it as a common swap. The SBC is by far the most common swap.

My FJ40 still has the stock F motor and 3 speed in it and I really like the torque it has. I've done a lot of research on the 292 and I like the potential it has. Very similar to the F/2F in that increasing compression and changing the cam will wake it up. The big plus the 292 has is more cubes without losing low end torque and 7 main bearings instead of 5 and less expensive rebuild parts.

If you are interested in rebuilding your 292 for a few more HP then get a copy of Leo Santucci's book "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual". It is written more for the racing enthusiast though it has a lot of info that will help build a bulletproof motor for the Landcruiser type of application also.

Don

1956 235 is the engine type

I uncovered and looked up the casting number out of the cruiser.

The casting number is 3764476. Notice the front right motor mount that was fabricated sheared one of the bolts off and the other bolt is missing entirely.

So far it is looking as though I'll be doing some fab work if I decide to stay with this motor or another chevy 6. When I get the tub off, I'll get better pictures of the bell housing and tranny mate up.
1956_chevy_235.jpg
front passenger side motor mount.jpg

The big plus the 292 has is more cubes without losing low end torque and 7 main bearings instead of 5 and less expensive rebuild parts.

I think your getting the F/2F one more main than is has. Been a few years still I've had to tear a lower end apart but pretty sure it only has four main bearings.:cheers:

To answer your question about is this a common swap, I remember a couple of people who had them in Denver many years ago. IIRC it was pretty much a drop in conversion. The 292 bolted right up to the toyota bellhousing. Even the 401 Buick I had bolted right up to the toyota bellhousing. I believe Toyota copied the chevy design. My friend had a 63 FJ40 and did his conversion first, his brother had one too. He raced his brother after the conversion and the Chevy powered one would run away from the stock toyota every time. It had alot of low end torque. Back then the 292 sixes were plentifull, they were in chevy trucks, chevy IIs etc. Of course alot of people put in sbc 283s, 327s back then. I'd rebuild the 292, you won't be disappointed over the stock toyota engine.

I think your getting the F/2F one more main than is has. Been a few years still I've had to tear a lower end apart but pretty sure it only has four main bearings.:cheers:

You could very easily be correct. I've never had the bottom end of a F/2F apart. Just going off of my "memory" of what i've read about them. I've got a brand new memory, it's never been used.

Don

It ain't a 292...

1956 235 is the engine type. It's a 1956 truck 235 casting number.

I tell you while it was idling it was a smooth running motor. But unfortunatley, it's mounting is totally fubar. The whole thing will be out of there by the end of the weekend. The frame and tub are going to get blasted.

Because it isn't a 292, i'm thinking of ebay or craigslisting it and using the money toward something else.

Hey, Living in the Past, do you still have that 2f around?

:hmm:

what a score,,it must be nice to have 40's snuggel'd n ur garage....I invey that
I got a 67 283 .60 over with camels sittn on a stand gettn dusty...

Original specs for the 235

1956 Chevrolet 235 Inline 6 Engine Specs

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS
Model Designation: w/Standard Trans & Powerglide
Wheel base: 115
Valve Location: In head
Bore and Stroke: 3.5625 x 3.9375
Piston displacement, Cubic Inches: 235
Compression ratio: Standard Trans: 8.0
Maximum Brake Horsepower: 140 @ 4200 RPM
Maximum Torque Lbs.Ft. @ RPM: Standard Trans: 210 @ 2400
Normal Oil Pressure Pounds: 35