Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, your a good negotiator. Did he tell you all the areas he repaired? Even if you got it and stripped it.....might be worth something but it's a big unknown.

It has potential at $1500 or it could cost you another $1500 in work to get it back to good shape. Its really up to you how much time and money you want to invest in it.

As far as fenders id get 2 new ones. Either aftermarket or find some NOS ones they are out there i know a guy who hoards them...;););)

Me personally i wouldnt bother id go aluminum body as im planning in a couple years. When i said "i" i was referring to you cause you need one. haha
Lol, i wasn’t negotiating a price for you.
Wow, your a good negotiator. Did he tell you all the areas he repaired? Even if you got it and stripped it.....might be worth something but it's a big unknown.
Yes the areas he repaired are pretty evident. He’s not so good with the bondo. Just a few about the size of a mans hand spread out.
He’s a really sweet little old man. Original owner.

Has anyone seen that episode on the Andy Griffith show? Where the “sweet” little old lady sold Barney the car? “Never driven over 25mph”... Ha! I always think of that episode when I’m wheeling and dealing with the “sweet” ones.

Has anyone seen that episode on the Andy Griffith show? Where the “sweet” little old lady sold Barney the car? “Never driven over 25mph”... Ha! I always think of that episode when I’m wheeling and dealing with the “sweet” ones.

Just saw that one a few weeks ago. Barney fell head over heels. It broke down on the first ride. Andy tracked her down and discovered it was a ring of mobsters stealing cars off the street and selling them - with her at helm.

If you could buy an OEM tub for 1500 & put it back into, "new' shape for another 1500, you would be money ahead on any aftermarket tub, and also still have OEM (which will maximize it's value over even the nicest replacement tubs in the future). I'd do that before I bought a replica if you goal is nice, OEM resto. If you care less about that, or later value & plan to run it hard, I'd probably do an Aqualu aluminum tub. They look pretty original from the outside & are pretty beefy from what I've seen, plus no rust.

But for me personally, my first choice would be to try & stay OEM if I had a good option.

If you could buy an OEM tub for 1500 & put it back into, "new' shape for another 1500, you would be money ahead on any aftermarket tub, and also still have OEM (which will maximize it's value over even the nicest replacement tubs in the future). I'd do that before I bought a replica if you goal is nice, OEM resto. If you care less about that, or later value & plan to run it hard, I'd probably do an Aqualu aluminum tub. They look pretty original from the outside & are pretty beefy from what I've seen, plus no rust.

But for me personally, my first choice would be to try & stay OEM if I had a good option.
My problem with OEM is that its almost impossible to get rid of all the rust unless you seperate every panel, remove the rust, and weld back together. Otherwise you fix the visible rust, and then in 5 years the non visible rust worsens and becomes visible. So its a non stop pursuit of rust popping back up. Especially if you drive it a lot, and especially if its a 79 or later tub with the crappy oem sheet metal which is crazy prone to rust. I have not seen any evidence of aftermarket tubs reducing value as long as everything is straight and the installer paid attention to details.

My problem with OEM is that its almost impossible to get rid of all the rust unless you seperate every panel, remove the rust, and weld back together. Otherwise you fix the visible rust, and then in 5 years the non visible rust worsens and becomes visible. So its a non stop pursuit of rust popping back up. Especially if you drive it a lot, and especially if its a 79 or later tub with the crappy oem sheet metal which is crazy prone to rust. I have not seen any evidence of aftermarket tubs reducing value as long as everything is straight and the installer paid attention to details.
True but doable, you can not go back if you haven’t got the OEM tub anymore.

In the end it is still OEM they will be rare in the future and cannot be replaced.

The moment that I successfully pulled a van twice the size of my cruiser back onto the road and then up a hill, I couldn’t have been happier to look back at all the onlookers and wave bye. Especially since nobody offered to help until they saw “a girl in a LITTLE Jeep” attempting it. At that point everybody was the expert and declared that my Jeep didn’t have enough weight.
I decided to get my worker to record it.
Haha!

Get the f outa here!
Good on you... :)

Have you priced aqualu yet? Worth the money and very tough.
Yes, I priced it out. Ive calculated how much it would cost to just patch mine too. I have seriously considered doing each of these options. Weighing out all of the pros and cons.
For me, on my first restoration.... I think I want to stick to OEM. I may decide to do it differently next time.

True but doable, you can not go back if you haven’t got the OEM tub anymore.
View attachment 1904305
View attachment 1904304
In the end it is still OEM they will be rare in the future and cannot be replaced.
Thats quite a bit of rust behind that bracket, good thing you removed it. As long as you have sharp spot weld drill bits it probably not too hard to remove that kind of stuff to fix the rust behind it.

Thats quite a bit of rust behind that bracket, good thing you removed it. As long as you have sharp spot weld drill bits it probably not too hard to remove that kind of stuff to fix the rust behind it.
Just replacing all cancer on this thing, and having a blast doing it.

Any progress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom