Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hah! Blowing stuff up was more of a childhood activity for my family. Now that I have kids I try to use the neuron a bit more. Kids model what ever they see. I wish my dad had thought of that. I thought blowing stuff up and shooting out of your bedroom every day was normal.

If you've used circular saws then a grinder won't be hard to learn but it's the exposed blade that can break apart that is different. Most injuries by far are to do with the eye. Never underestimate the ability if a little piece of metal to bounces all over the place and off the side of your nose bypassing your glasses and go straight into your eye. Don't ignore it. Get it out. If it's a shard it can lodge perminantly in your eye and rust. It can prevent you from having MRIs too. The MRI can extract the shard from your eye and it might not be in a nice way. Might take it through the middle.

This is advice I give myself all the time. I usually listen.
g

Last edited:
Defiantly stay away from hobo freight cutting wheels. Its worth paying a little more for something that wont fly apart while using. In my opinion quality "american made" wheels also last longer.

Like said above they can be dangerous. I like to wear thicker gloves while grinding just in case. I have nicked myself before (luckily nothing serious)
Gloves and quality cutting wheels are definitely going on my list. I love my construction work but my bread and butter is cutting women’s (and some men’s) faces with a microblade. My hands are my livelihood and I can’t take any chances on wrecking these tiny little geniuses. I already catch enough heck from my husband over my insistence on doing construction and well anything that’s not girly. I would never hear the end of it if I hurt myself.

So manuals are great but you need engineering controls sometimes for employees. That like a machine that won't start until you activate a safety mechanism. It forces safe behaviour or it won't function. It's usually the first thing folks disable on a machine. Comprehension and convenience go a very long way and are probably the most cost effective overall. Team Performance incentives for lack of injury are great tools. Really enhances accountability.

That funny about your hands. Very true for me as well. I can't even get them dirty cus we stick them in people's body's. I guess having your face groomed by someone with stained grubby hands might be a turn off.

Hah! Blowing stuff up was more of a childhood activity for my family. Now that I have kids I try to use the neuron a bit more. Kids model what ever they see. I wish my dad had thought of that. I thought blowing stuff up and shooting out of your bedroom every day was normal.
I definitely wouldn’t consider that normal.
My husband, 4 kids and myself belong to the Custer gun club and go shooting as a family weekly. My 13 year old is marksman and his team has won several national championships.
That’s unfortunate that you had a bad experience growing up. Guns are definitely not a toy and should never be viewed otherwise.

0B066278-E18E-4165-A468-5FDF39A5E754.jpeg

2265D1C3-D7BF-44E1-9A66-C3907191FA8D.jpeg

4CB152C4-BB67-4FE9-AAB0-A183D28B3503.jpeg

2B6EB5D2-F173-47CA-9CF4-B3929881A140.jpeg

F2823892-E63E-4110-8E30-CD7B67822C80.jpeg

Last edited:
So manuals are great but you need engineering controls sometimes for employees. That like a machine that won't start until you activate a safety mechanism. It forces safe behaviour or it won't function. It's usually the first thing folks disable on a machine. Comprehension and convenience go a very long way and are probably the most cost effective overall. Team Performance incentives for lack of injury are great tools. Really enhances accountability.
Luckly I’ve never had a guy hurt on the job. I agree with the incentives.
Just for the record... I’m a hard a$$ and don’t allow my crews to work irresponsibly, but if you’ve been on a construction site for any amount of time, and I have about 10 years in... you’re gonna see some pretty crazy stuff.

It wasn't a bad experience. It was awsome! Fortunately I survived my upbringing with good hearing, both eyes, all my fingers and not tons of scars. Well for the most part. My dad was a welder and we we were not that well off when I was young so we often went camping and shot at stuff and made garbage bag bombs. My dad would get a garbage bag and fill it with oxy acetylene. Then we'd twist news paper to make a fuse. Very fun. Very dangerous. One exploded during filling when I was 6 during Halloween. It blew the windows and me out the shop. That was the end of my garbage bag bomb assistant career. I then took over my dads position of bomb filler. Usually when he wasn't home.

That's cool about your kids. My daughters 10 and 12, want to take archery and shooting lessons this summer. A club is a good environment for that stuff.

That’s unbelievable! Wow, sounds like you had a lot of fun. I have to admit that I’ve made some Molotov Cocktails in my day.
You know, there are several Canadians that have their kids in the the club down here.

So I found this guy... it’s local and it’s in CAD, so I get 30% off the top, not to mention whatever I can get him down to.
So far this is the closest I can get to 30cfm
Should I hold out until something better comes along?

B8E7BCF7-B13D-46C0-AD2A-9BC945F4AFCD.png

Ok so that might be a bit more than you need. Even air hungry tools like paint sprayers use like 15cfm. Other tools less so. It's horizontal so it sucks up a lot of floor space too. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing compressor but a regular 60 gal 18cfm vertical job is more than adequate for the average hobbiest.

Ok so that might be a bit more than you need. Even air hungry tools like paint sprayers use like 15cfm. Other tools less so. It's horizontal so it sucks up a lot of floor space too. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing compressor but a regular 60 gal 18cfm vertical job is more than adequate for the average hobbiest.
I thought about that... the space as well as how much I would actually use it. But someone mentioned that a 30cfm really speeds up the process. I figured that since I’m pretty much going to be sandblasting the entire rig that I would appreciate the xtra CFM. I also don’t want to throw away money either so I guess I’ll have to do some more homework.

The one I posted is less floor space and 24 cfm which I wish I had. Most of my tools are electric though. Mine is a 15cfm. I'd like to get a sand blasting cabinet too and will be spraying my tub so I'll have to see how it goes as far as duty cycle. Well no one ever regrets the extra cfm. Floor space though.......

Last edited:
Most injuries by far are to do with the eye. Never underestimate the ability if a little piece of metal to bounces all over the place and off the side of your nose bypassing your glasses and go straight into your eye. Don't ignore it. Get it out. If it's a shard it can lodge perminantly in your eye and rust. It can prevent you from having MRIs too. The MRI can extract the shard from your eye and it might not be in a nice way. Might take it through the middle.

g[/QUOTE]

I see that... it’s a little bit cheaper and only has a little less cfm plus floor space.

Most injuries by far are to do with the eye. Never underestimate the ability if a little piece of metal to bounces all over the place and off the side of your nose bypassing your glasses and go straight into your eye. Don't ignore it. Get it out. If it's a shard it can lodge perminantly in your eye and rust. It can prevent you from having MRIs too. The MRI can extract the shard from your eye and it might not be in a nice way. Might take it through the middle.

g
[/QUOTE]
Jeez! I can almost feel that MRI description! Ouch!
Noted

As a vitreoretinal surgeon I can agree with gerg. “Simple” eye injuries are superficial specks of metal from metal to metal contact such as hammering, grinding and cutting. I just removed one using a Q-tip though many require a needle and rust ring drill. More serious injuries occur when metal shards or flecks penetrate the cornea, the clear dome covering the front of the eye. This requires suture repair. Worse is when metal pieces penetrate into the eye and impact the retina. This can cause hemorrhage and retinal tears or retinal detachment and require emergency eye surgery to remove the foreign body. I have a collection of them- everything from BBs, metal shards, and lattice staples. It can cause infection, loss of vision, cataracts, blindness and sometimes loss of the eye. Eye protection is essential and must be used all the time. Foreign body sensation, floaters, blurred vision and pain should not be ignored.

Keeps getting better every day.

Just say NO to the cheap cut off discs from harbor freight, buy quality ones.

Eyeball pro and a face shield when grinding. Ear plugs, and muffs.

Long sleeve tight work shirt.

Have fun.

As a vitreoretinal surgeon I can agree with gerg. “Simple” eye injuries are superficial specks of metal from metal to metal contact such as hammering, grinding and cutting. I just removed one using a Q-tip though many require a needle and rust ring drill. More serious injuries occur when metal shards or flecks penetrate the cornea, the clear dome covering the front of the eye. This requires suture repair. Worse is when metal pieces penetrate into the eye and impact the retina. This can cause hemorrhage and retinal tears or retinal detachment and require emergency eye surgery to remove the foreign body. I have a collection of them- everything from BBs, metal shards, and lattice staples. It can cause infection, loss of vision, cataracts, blindness and sometimes loss of the eye. Eye protection is essential and must be used all the time. Foreign body sensation, floaters, blurred vision and pain should not be ignored.
Good to know we have a medical team on hand in the case that there is an accident!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom