Just bought an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello from WA! I just bought a gold 91 with center lock only, under 200k,with an early vortec v8 swap. I got it cheap from a coworker because it needs some work. I’m new to the LCs, but not new to wrenching and wheeling. I’m sad because I bought this vehicle to flip as I need the money, but I decided to register because I want to get it running right and to sell a good product and I know this place has all the knowledge. I’ve always wanted an FJ80, and now I have one that I can’t keep at this point in my life. Maybe a piece of a jet engine will land on my 89 Suburban and I can keep it lol.

Anyway, before I delve in the search function, I need to replace a leaky radiator. Are part store brands in the $300 range a good idea? That’s what was in it...

The swap appears to be decent quality. They went through the effort to hook up the AC (inop) and the cruise control. At quick glance that says it’s not a hack job.

Also, the steering gear leaks like mad and I’ll likely reseal it myself, it was missing two caliper bolts which are already in the mail, and there’s no door key (did these come with separate door and ignition keys?)

What common issues plague the 80 that I should look for? Any advice?

Thanks

My 80 came with a CSF brand radiator. They are around $300 on Rock Auto. Seemed decent quality. Only reason I replaced it is I broke off the little hose bard doing work on the engine.

80's did not come with separate door and ignition keys. Possible one set of locks has been swapped or your key is worn to the point it no longer works correctly. You can get new keys cut with the VIN.

The FAQ will be your friend on common issues. If you're just going to flip it getting it running and driving is about all I'd do. Most people expect to have to baseline stuff when they get a used land cruiser and I doubt you'd make your money back on the parts doing all that PM up front.

If you want the 80 so bad why not sell the suburban :) ?

Let’s see that engine bay
My 80 came with a CSF brand radiator. They are around $300 on Rock Auto. Seemed decent quality. Only reason I replaced it is I broke off the little hose bard doing work on the engine.

80's did not come with separate door and ignition keys. Possible one set of locks has been swapped or your key is worn to the point it no longer works correctly. You can get new keys cut with the VIN.

The FAQ will be your friend on common issues. If you're just going to flip it getting it running and driving is about all I'd do. Most people expect to have to baseline stuff when they get a used land cruiser and I doubt you'd make your money back on the parts doing all that PM up front.

If you want the 80 so bad why not sell the suburban :) ?
Never! I love my Canyonero and I find it a great vehicle that I’ve grown quite attached to. I’ve had it 15 years now and it’s taken the fam to some awesome places. Only way it gets replaced is if it gets taken.
Let’s see that engine bay
I’ll get some tomorrow. It’s still sitting at the coworkers house. I’ll attach a not so great photo I have

Gotta get used to the forum lol

ABD61DD2-55CF-459C-89DF-8BC578188549.jpeg

314B4704-3E75-44C6-B358-2A2390962B61.jpeg

7604EF7A-8552-4B39-AB55-BFF901D5443A.jpeg

About all I can offer at this point is:
Welcome to MUD!
:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom