Just bought an 80 series What to change first (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

This is my first post so excuse me if this has been asked before.

I've just bought a 1997 FJ80 4.5 Petrol.

There is no service history. The oil services have been done every 8000kms by the last owner who put on approx 30 000kms.

What items should I tackle first with a budget of approx USD 500$

Thanks !

I'd change that attitude if I were you mate.

:flipoff2:welcome, use the search and look for 'baseline maintenance' threads. then post a photo of your 80 on here for us.

I'd change that attitude if I were you mate.

:flipoff2:welcome, use the search and look for 'baseline maintenance' threads. then post a photo of your 80 on here for us.

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

All fluids and all rubber hoses under the hood.
That will take care of that $500 right quick.
Welcome to MUD.

Check your fluid levels and condition, top off as needed. If any are BAD, change them right then.

Drive it for 5000 KM and make your list.

I drove mine for $200 USD for the first two years and 25K miles. Then I threw $6000 at it because it needed a LOT. That was to get it to reliable DD service.

Make it run
Make it stop
Make it drive
Make it safe
Make it reliable
Make it pretty

I classify everything into this order in order to prioritize.

Agree with above and will emphasize that $500 will not go very far. With a limited budget you need to inspect/review everything and then only spend on what needs attention currently vs. running through a broader/typical baseline list that will cost a lot more than $500. Fortunately it looks like a really clean 80 and sounds like it's been maintained so it may not even need $500 currently, you will have to inspect carefully to determine that though.

I'll add to @BILT4ME s list an item that probably falls under "make it run" which is "prevent avoidable damage". Fluid changes, tightening nuts/bearings, inspecting wear items, watching temps, etc. all would fall in this "avoiding damage" category. Since you don't have the budget to do a full baseline all at once you can at least make sure you don't have active issues that are going to damage components making repairs more expsnive or lead to wasted time/$$ on breakdowns, towing and emergency repair! This is the old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" logic and inspection and understanding what you are looking at vs. just replacing everything totally works if you are capable of the inspection.

Nice 80!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom