Just bought a windshield for $75: Where can I get an economy windshield gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got the windshield glass out of my '76 FJ40 yesterday and the weatherstripping is in good condition, although 45 years old. I removed the windshield because I'm painting the rig and plan to reuse the glass and weatherstripping. The rubber is untorn, uncracked, flexible but dirty. I've had good luck in the past cleaning up rubber things like weatherstripping and hoses using Westley's Whitewall Cleaner and will probably use that on the windshield weatherstripping but my question is what to use after cleaning to keep it nice and flexible, and also black of course? I've used Armorall, 303, and various Meguiar's products for all kinds of rubber trim but looking for more of a "conditioner" than surface coating to renew it for the next 45 years. Any suggestions?

Reading this thread I see new Toyota windshield weatherstripping pretty cheap, less than $75, so maybe I should just go new. But I hate not reusing something that I can fix-restore-recondition!

Thanks,
Pete
I was just in the same position yesterday. I bought some AGS Sil-Glyde Amazon product ASIN B000KXLR5E hoping to recondition the glass seal. When I was washing the old seal (from at least 1975) I notice it really wasn't pliable enough for me to be sure I could get the glass in and for it to seal properly on the frame. After busting all the rust off the frame and painting, I decided that I will spend the money and make sure it's right. CCOT sells an aftermarket seal for $48. I went ahead and ordered it to be safe. https://www.coolcruisers.com/wiglloseru66.html

I just got the windshield glass out of my '76 FJ40 yesterday and the weatherstripping is in good condition, although 45 years old. I removed the windshield because I'm painting the rig and plan to reuse the glass and weatherstripping. The rubber is untorn, uncracked, flexible but dirty. I've had good luck in the past cleaning up rubber things like weatherstripping and hoses using Westley's Whitewall Cleaner and will probably use that on the windshield weatherstripping but my question is what to use after cleaning to keep it nice and flexible, and also black of course? I've used Armorall, 303, and various Meguiar's products for all kinds of rubber trim but looking for more of a "conditioner" than surface coating to renew it for the next 45 years. Any suggestions?

Reading this thread I see new Toyota windshield weatherstripping pretty cheap, less than $75, so maybe I should just go new. But I hate not reusing something that I can fix-restore-recondition!

Thanks,
Pete
Have a look online at wintergreen oil for softening old hard rubber. I have some but haven't tried it yet.

Blue is a 78 without the lock.
Red is a 74 with the lock.
The lock is a roundish piece that is pressed into the rubber gasket making the windshield gasket two pieces.
20211021_174754.jpg

If you look closely at the pics you can see the insert on the red.
The blue one is just an indentation in the gasket which is one piece.

20211021_174809.jpg

Wintergreen does work, but it's better suited for smaller parts.

I'd value (assumedly) original glass more than the gasket, and a new, softer gasket would give you a better chance at getting it back in without issue.

OEM is cheap enough that I'd just replace it and carry on... weatherstrip is generally just a perishable item.

Thanks,
Pete
The issue with rubber that old is it will have compressed over time and will not be as tight as a new gasket. $75 is pretty cheap insurance for a new gasket.

There is a locking piece of OEM weather strip from 1969-1975 for sure. Dont think later years had them. No idea about earlier years.
74...not 75

Edited my previous post to correct 1975 to 1974. The parts number said to "1/1975".

Agreed on getting new. Not sure why you'd go aftermarket either, unless OEM runs out of stock. (Then I'd go to Racer's site)

Whoo-hoo! Installed the glass today!. I won't tell you that it was the easiest thing in the world that I've ever done, but we got it in! First go around, we tried to put the gasket on the glass, and then lift the whole thing over to the frame and use a 1/4" cotton rope inside the rubber groove to pull the rubber lip over the edge of the frame (just like a youtube video). This approach did not work for us because the gasket kept slipping off the glass (there seemed to be excess gasket - it was not a tight fit onto the glass- came loose with minimal manipulation). The second approach we used was to install the gasket onto the frame, and then try to coax the glass into the groove. Well, the gasket kept slipping off the frame! - very aggravating, but patience and perseverance prevailed as we did the bottom of the glass first, then the sides, then the top, progressively slipping the gasket onto the ridge on the windshield frame, and then coaxing the glass into its respective groove. Now, I need to purchase the lock and the Lisle "lock installation tool". This install on the '66 was my training in preparation for new windshield install on the '70, which will occur in the coming weeks. In my case, I definitely needed my two friends helping me.

IMG_3253.JPG

Whoo-hoo! Installed the glass today!. I won't tell you that it was the easiest thing in the world that I've ever done, but we got it in! First go around, we tried to put the gasket on the glass, and then lift the whole thing over to the frame and use a 1/4" cotton rope inside the rubber groove to pull the rubber lip over the edge of the frame (just like a youtube video). This approach did not work for us because the gasket kept slipping off the glass (there seemed to be excess gasket - it was not a tight fit onto the glass- came loose with minimal manipulation). The second approach we used was to install the gasket onto the frame, and then try to coax the glass into the groove. Well, the gasket kept slipping off the frame! - very aggravating, but patience and perseverance prevailed as we did the bottom of the glass first, then the sides, then the top, progressively slipping the gasket onto the ridge on the windshield frame, and then coaxing the glass into its respective groove. Now, I need to purchase the lock and the Lisle "lock installation tool". This install on the '66 was my training in preparation for new windshield install on the '70, which will occur in the coming weeks. In my case, I definitely needed my two friends helping me.

View attachment 2826597
Congrats on a job well done!

Highly recommend having a tube of this to keep all your rubber weatherstripping soft and pliable. I little dab goes a long way.

Genuine Honda 08798-9013 Silicone Grease Amazon product ASIN B00GD49GTS

Hey Folks... I am still messing with my windshield glass install. My 75ish FJ40 is a hodgepodge of body parts. I ordered an aftermarket glass seal from CCOT that supposedly fits 66-12/74 thinking the windshield fram was a 69.. my son and I tried everything to install.. I gave up and called a local glass guy who has done FJ40's before (he knows Upstate Cruisiers pretty well).. he gave up after an hour. He thinks my glass is wrong. How I got it from the seller was the same glass with a non lockable seal (with several sub seals that don't seem to be applicable to my frame).. some how someone jammed it in and it stuck.

My question. What are the years of the different frames? Mine has the wiper motor on top. From what I understand that is the way it was for 65-74, but there was a change in 68 as there are different frames for 68-74. (using cruiser corps as a reference) How can I tell what year frame I have and ultimately what glass/ seal I need?

Crusier Corps sells glass for a 65-74. They sell a seal for a 65-74. Am I to assume that since I have a wiper motor on top, my frame is somewhere in the 65-74 range and these parts will work? Sorry if this is too vague. Beyond frustrated at this point.

wg1.jpg

wg2.jpg

wg3.jpg

wg4.jpg

wg6.jpg

Don't the older windshields also take the two piece (locking cord) weatherstrip?

Looks like you have the newer style in the photos...?
Yeah, and I am pretty sure that isnt right (the newer type seal in my older type frame).. I think that was thrown together in the PO's barn. I just wanted to know if the glass and seal were the same from 65-12/74 because I am pretty sure thats what date range my frame is in. Is there a definitive way to tell what year your windshield frame is?

Woo-Hoo again! Got the second windshield installed! This time on my 1970 FJ40.
IMG_3294.JPG
It gets easier with experience! Here is my final cost:

$83(glass+tax) + $60(gasket) + $23("lock")+$15(tool for lock install) = $181 per windshield

Oh, and I almost forgot to add: Value of learning how to do it and gratification at doing it yourself: PRICELESS!

Woo-Hoo again! Got the second windshield installed! This time on my 1970 FJ40.View attachment 2856087It gets easier with experience! Here is my final cost:

$83(glass+tax) + $60(gasket) + $23("lock")+$15(tool for lock install) = $181 per windshield

Oh, and I almost forgot to add: Value of learning how to do it and gratification at doing it yourself: PRICELESS!
Hey All,

Congrats Joestewart! I think the windshield stuff is the most frustrating thing I have done in my build. I did manage to get it finished yesterday after a month of messing with it. I had a local glass guy help me with it ( it took a couple of visits till we got it right ) I learned alot about windshield frames, glass and aftermarket vs. OEM windshield seals. I will now highly recommend that you use a Toyota OEM seal and lock. It was actually cheaper than the aftermarket seal (that didn't work , so I ordered the seal and lock directly from Toyota, got it in 4 days) Yes, there is a difference in rubber compound and fit. I got my glass from Crusier Corps, shipped free and came in perfect.

ws1.jpg

ws2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom