Just bought a 1998 and I think I'm doing this backwards... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same scenario. Granted, I've only been in this old hundie for a week, but I can feel it sucking me in. The plan is to DD and keep the miles off the 200, but I've caught myself wanting to call Cristo and "just ask" how much bumpers and and sliders might put me back.

More similar than you know. Ours was purchased from one of my mom’s neighbors, because she’d mentioned “my sons and grandsons drive vehicles like yours, and they are just crazy about them” and the neighbor’s wife kept telling him that he had to get rid of at least one of his vehicles. 😁

While I’ve avoided the bumpers (so far), we have added a few “offroad items” that weren’t absolutely necessary, and I keep hearing a voice saying “No ATRAC! Two pinion front diff! There’s a empty square knockout that’s perfect for an 80 series locker switch! You should get lockers!”

I’m probably not the best person to follow 😂

Last edited:
Is this good or bad?

To me, it’s a fond reminder of the 94 80 series that I used to have, without the negative on-road manners of the solid front axle, with a few creature comforts beyond “we slapped leather in a work truck and call it a luxury SUV”, and a more pleasant V8 that does’t seem to hunt for gears so much.

For your Slee bumpers, yeah I was looking at the Slee standard with one swing-out and that was going to be about $3500 plus s+h so if you add front in there you are probably looking at at least $5-$6k.

Considering what I have in it, and what these are going for even mildly built, I might not be too far behind even at 5-6K . Of course there is lockers and suspension to factor in. :) ...The things we tell ourselves.

Last edited:
I’m probably not the best person to follow 😂

Ha! Your profile pic says it all. My driveway currently looks a lot like yours, however much less discrimination between series....100,150,200. The GX is dead to me. Wife won't let me touch it except to fill it with gas an wash on the weekends.

Considering what I have in it, and what these are going for even mildly built, I might not be too far behind even at 5-6K . Of course there is lockers and and suspension to factor in. :) ...The things we tell ourselves.
Yeah all depends on what you plan to do with it, what your budget is, etc.
I like the Slee bumpers for sure, but a bit rich for my blood. I personally will likely go with a Dissent No-Cut rear for my 98 when the time comes, or possibly a Trail Tailor rear. No real plans for a front bumper but may throw a hide-a-winch in there. But that would likely come after detonating the front diff.
Current priority of business for me is...
- Diff drop with sway bar extensions (Trail Tailor)
- New UCAs
- New LCA ball joints
- Increase lift to 2"-2.5" (currently at about 1.5")
- Replace shocks with something better than current OME NitroChargers
- Roof Rack (thinking Gamiviti Expo++)
- Rear bumper with single swingout for spare

Ha! Your profile pic says it all. My driveway currently looks a lot like yours, however much less discrimination between series....100,150,200. The GX is dead to me. Wife won't let me touch it except to fill it with gas an wash on the weekends.

You just need to be able to say “economy of scale”, “money savings from common spare parts”, “trickle down upgrades”, “look what I bought you honey”, and “but think of all of the money that I saved with this purchase” with a straight face...

I like the Slee bumpers for sure, but a bit rich for my blood. I personally will likely go with a Dissent No-Cut rear for my 98 when the time comes, or possibly a Trail Tailor rear. No real plans for a front bumper but may throw a hide-a-winch in there. But that would likely come after detonating the front diff.
- New UCAs
- New LCA ball joints

Just read your build thread. Only taking breaks to dive under mine and compare. :)

Reading through my service history, I don't see a lot of replacement rubber and that concerned me. Tie rod ends UCA/LCA bushings all look good, at least visually. If I had to guess, my clunk is very similar to yours. I'll get it in the garage and do the FWD/REV test you did. This made a lot more sense to me after I saw the videos you posted. Thank you for taking the time to document all this. I'm actually looking forward to a rig I can "tinker" with again. Lots to learn....especially if I decide to dive into the CV like you did.

You just need to be able to say “economy of scale”, “money savings from common spare parts”, “trickle down upgrades”, “look what I bought you honey”, and “but think of all of the money that I saved with this purchase” with a straight face...

Tried that, she knows better. However if you add up what we paid for all three, it's roughly the price of a new 200. 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: jLB
"Honey, it is an appreciating classic!" "It is built to last" "Nothing built this well is ever going to be this price again"

If that fails, it is the dog mobile. Get a dog if needed.

And you are not the only one who feels that way about 100 vs 200.

Tried that, she knows better. However if you add up what we paid for all three, it's roughly the price of a new 200. 🤔

Why is it that “I bought it for 1/2 price... Look at all the money I saved!” Is supposed to work with clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, and home decor, but it’s bull**** on vehicles, tools, and guns? 🤔

Last edited:
- New UCAs
- New LCA ball joints

CV axles
Drive plates
Front lower ball joints
Diff drop
Front diff bushings
+2” front & +3”rear
Brakes
Braided steel brake lines
285/75R16 tires
Front aftermarket UCAs
Rear aftermarket upper/lower control arms
Panhard bar
Panhard drop bracket
Sway bar extended links/bushings
Aftermarket shocks
Sliders
Hidden winch mount
s***ty Chinese headlights

That sounds kinda familiar...

FE8BC855-060F-4FD5-A158-5A30ABCCA3BE.jpeg

Last edited:
CV axles
Drive plates
Front lower ball joints
Diff drop
Front diff bushings
+2” front & +3”rear
Brakes
Braided steel brake lines
285/75R16 tires
Front aftermarket UCAs
Rear aftermarket upper/lower control arms
Panhard bar
Panhard drop bracket
Sway bar extended links/bushings
Aftermarket shocks
Sliders
Hidden winch mount
s***ty Chinese headlights

That sounds kinda familiar...

View attachment 2565155
LOL.....HEY I did not buy S*&^^% chinesium headlights. My Diode Dynamics SL1's are still going strong and I have yet to receive the recall notice from them.

And there are plenty of "other" upgrades that will be less cost consumptive that are on that list. Just those are the near future things minus maybe doing a new muffler. Speaking of, after looking at multiple muffler replacement videos I had NO IDEA that the stock muffler (just the muffler alone) weighs something like 40+ lbs!!!! So I am saving weight, which will increase horsepower and fuel savings by dumping the OE muffler for something like a Thrush Welded or Magnaflow!!! See, I'm saving money too!

And with regards to bumpers, rack, etc. I like the video the Brady Adventures posted recently where he discusses the bumper setup with the guys from Dissent. I was on the fence too about steel vs. aluminum but they made some great points in there and seeing as I am basically starting with a blank canvas, going aluminum NOW would net me a better outcome in the long run. See..... I'm saving money AGAIN!!!

LOL.....HEY I did not buy S*&^^% chinesium headlights.

A moment of weakness, while trying to find a temporary stop gap solution, for a “one-eyed” vehicle, because of a headlight condensation issue.

The long term fix will be a proper HID conversion, in OEM (glass) housings, from “Luke111”, or a 7” conversion kit from “kelly saad” with LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom