Just Bought - 2000 LX470 I'm Back After a 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First post, felt compelled. I also just got a 2000 LX 470, pearl white. I still don’t have mine yet, waiting for someone to bring it up from OK, mine definitely doesn’t have under 200k but the price was right. Good luck with yours, and I look forward to making an intro thread of my own at some point!

First post, felt compelled. I also just got a 2000 LX 470, pearl white. I still don’t have mine yet, waiting for someone to bring it up from OK, mine definitely doesn’t have under 200k but the price was right. Good luck with yours, and I look forward to making an intro thread of my own at some point!

Awesome! Glad I ended up with 2000 and Golden Pearl...it's a great combo!

Last edited:
So far, I've enjoyed visiting the Lexus store a few times, though I still don't have an actual full experience--trying another tomorrow.

The front passenger's wheel wobbles, and it seemed to clearly be the bearing(s) based on the light pull, noise/vibration, etc. We verified as such while in the air Friday getting tires, at the tire guy/local mechanic, but I want more checked in addition to this.

Otherwise, great. Smooth, quick, and a trip to Home Depot on the way back to look for cupholder insert ideas (these are useless, as many posts over the years have described).

Seat bottom covers ordered, until I can do the leather replacement (driver's seat has a tear), and finally figured out the cheap Pioneer USB/bluetooth already installed. Still looking for the right CarPlay/backup camera plug in, in time.

D9E7B589-32E4-45D2-A569-61B1017CF418.jpeg

FCF677BA-606C-469B-A9FC-B25F356163A2.jpeg

B48456E4-702D-44B8-83EE-59DEDABAF1CE.jpeg

Last edited:
After the first dealer wanted me to reschedule another week later, called another in a different state nearby, and "no problem, come tomorrow and we'll give you a loaner."

This is a weekend, roadtrip, fun truck for me, but I'm in the industry and prefer to spend the money for warrantied "handled" service. Plus, the truck was a great deal, and in great shape to start, so I'm not out excessively.

Great so far.

Doing:
-Both front wheel bearings, full, replacement
-Coolant T's and coolant system flush and check
-Front differential fluid
-Transfer case fluid
-Rear differential fluid
-Alignment. After new wheels, new tires, and new bearings both sides, this sounds...worth it. They only noted "you'll need to do it again if you end up doing the axle/boot". Just added this.
-Brake fluid, recommended. Added & done.
-Steering fluid, recommended. Added & done.

Return Trip:

-Left, started driving. Tracks straight and brake pedal is stronger. Vibrates & wobbles in the steering wheel & seat however. Returned. Going to road force check the new tires, and realized “rotors are bad, we should have looked further. Ordered, and doing, and checking the rears. Updates to follow.

Discussed, but not doing yet:

-Transmission fluid "It's an older vehicle, and without knowing the history, we don't recommend disturbing that yet." Agreed, but on the list.
-AHC fluid, odd, but "We don't recommend doing that yet either. It works fine, and it's older. Technician recommends leave that alone, for now."

Also:
-Front axle boot starting to leak "we recommend the axle and boot replacement, as it's all one piece". Service History shows the boots, etc. were already done at 155k by Toyota/Lexus, so "not a big concern right now". Pricey, and there's no noise, and boots, etc. were done at 155k so I'll leave this for a later inspection.

Asked them to do a full run through of everything, and am very pleased with the service and results so far. Great place. Not cheap, but one stop shop, and handled...next day availability, and I'm in a loaner. That's worth a lot to me, 20 year old truck, or not.

Lexus of Wilmington Service.JPG

Last edited:
FYI, these are all-wheel-drive trucks and you must make sure all 4 tires are same not just the size.
I too own 97 4runner for 10+ years. Do you happen to be at T4R.org?

Agree with your maintenance plan, mostly. I really don't see a reason not to do the AHC fluid. Only reason I can see then recommending against is that they don't feel comfortable with it for some reason. That old fluid will degrade all your other AHC parts faster than new fluid, and new fluid will give you a small to moderate ride improvement as well.

FYI, these are all-wheel-drive trucks and you must make sure all 4 tires are same not just the size.
I too own 97 4runner for 10+ years. Do you happen to be at T4R.org?

Agreed. Glad on day 2 my initial “let’s just do 2 old ones” was a NO.

The new Kumhos are great, and it was driving SO much crisper, smoother, etc even with a bad bearing and such.

Agree with your maintenance plan, mostly. I really don't see a reason not to do the AHC fluid. Only reason I can see then recommending against is that they don't feel comfortable with it for some reason. That old fluid will degrade all your other AHC parts faster than new fluid, and new fluid will give you a small to moderate ride improvement as well.

Agreed, didn’t expect that reply, but they’re doing everything else and even pointed out to me “so the coolant T’s and coolant...only seeping but highly recommended”.

AHC, I’ll do next after this. They’ve been great so I appreciate the “no need yet” vs “everything is broken”.

Just a bit of “it’s so old we’re not completely sure” vibe, but that makes sense.

Great service history on this truck, but the antique tires were fascinating.

Last edited:
Drivers power door lock also needs replaced, but no rush on that one. Seems doable, but not high priority. Back to classic days of remembering to key lock that door as I walk away, ha.

Looking forward to getting it back. Should be Monday, at this point. The loaner remains.

If you are going to use Techstream to make adjustments while performing your AHC fluid flush (yourself?), wait on the alignment until you finish with that task.

If you are going to use Techstream to make adjustments while performing your AHC fluid flush (yourself?), wait on the alignment until you finish with that task.

Good point. No adjustments needed, but after new tires, new wheels, new bearings, etc., won’t hurt to do now too.

Easy to check & adjust again if needed after more work. Great info. I won’t be doing AHC, etc myself. Too busy traveling and live in a city for now, so no space or time to tinker fully.

I’ll be myself replacing a corner light, audio (maybe, this cheap double din Pioneer that was already done is clean but super too limited and I want a clean camera/CarPlay), and other odds & ends.

Most stuff, will be Lexus or the local tire store that can do the rest. Parking at home for the next...year, on a good day...

B7E8C30C-0443-4BD2-B033-C9ED64EA00AE.jpeg

"Front axle boot starting to leak "we recommend the axle and boot replacement, as it's all one piece". Service History shows the boots, etc. were already done at 155k by Toyota/Lexus, so "not a big concern right now". Pricey, and there's no noise, and boots, etc. were done at 155k so I'll leave this for a later inspection."

This doesn't sound like grounds to replace axles which are only 50k old. These are pretty tough axles and as you said expensive if you get OEM. If the boot is in good shape (no tears) you probably just need to replace or tighten the CV boot clamp to keep the grease in. 1/2 banana job.

"Front axle boot starting to leak "we recommend the axle and boot replacement, as it's all one piece". Service History shows the boots, etc. were already done at 155k by Toyota/Lexus, so "not a big concern right now". Pricey, and there's no noise, and boots, etc. were done at 155k so I'll leave this for a later inspection."

This doesn't sound like grounds to replace axles which are only 50k old. These are pretty tough axles and as you said expensive if you get OEM. If the boot is in good shape (no tears) you probably just need to replace or tighten the CV boot clamp to keep the grease in. 1/2 banana job.

My thoughts exactly. Bearings were clearly the first big issue, but a seeping boot can be dealt with.

Making a list of fluids, capacities, etc to grab after this for next stuff.

Congrats, love the white LX. I have a 98 And daily drive mine.
F2E60EDF-A5AE-43C1-AF69-13218BEC387C.jpeg

Nice vehicle, reminds me of mine but a little cleaner cosmetically. I bought mine with 176,000 miles on it, I'm at 225,000 now. It's my every day driver as well as my hunting / camping vehicle. I've put some money into it (got a free suspension upgrade as part of my "AS IS" warranty worth $3000, replaced my beat AHC with an OME spring kit etc). I hear AHC is great when it's in good shape mine was shot when I bought it, but the dealer gave me a $3000 credit, I only paid $9600 with a new set of KOs so I'm happy. Not sure how they compare with the LCs but mine's quieter than my wifes 2019 Prius. Congrats!

Nice vehicle, reminds me of mine but a little cleaner cosmetically. I bought mine with 176,000 miles on it, I'm at 225,000 now. It's my every day driver as well as my hunting / camping vehicle. I've put some money into it (got a free suspension upgrade as part of my "AS IS" warranty worth $3000, replaced my beat AHC with an OME spring kit etc). I hear AHC is great when it's in good shape mine was shot when I bought it, but the dealer gave me a $3000 credit, I only paid $9600 with a new set of KOs so I'm happy. Not sure how they compare with the LCs but mine's quieter than my wifes 2019 Prius. Congrats!

Great find. I had been looking for newer 2003+ ones, that were in the $10k range, but I'm glad I ended up one day searching CarGurus and "where is that? So close?" A great little dealer 45 minutes out of the city had it since January, as a wholesale trade. Ad said "radio inoperable" but they had never updated that text, had replaced the Nakamichi with a Pioneer, PA inspected it, etc.

Nice guys. "We try to find these and Land Cruisers, from time to time. Last Land Cruiser we had, same gen, someone bought it over the phone, no negotation, and it was gone in 2 days. These are great."

Glad I went older...the price kept dropping, the miles were lower than any other I looked at, and being a California->Oregon for a couple years->then North NJ for the last 2 years, it was well kept and not a winter car for long.

The service advisor at Lexus loves my "yes, let's just do it!" and the bills are adding up, but again, it's old, and I bought it way under what others were, so even with all this service, I'm still barely scratching what the asking price of other newer ones were...and those would likely need the same.

Thanks Crutchfield. Already have a double din BASIC Pioneer installed (seems to all work properly) but is very basic, and I've yet to figure out how to even make USB work properly, without an app. It's a cheapie, but Pioneer already thankfully.

Just ordered this new CarPlay double din Pioneer, open box special. Hopefully an easy swap since Pioneer harness, etc. and bluetooth mic are already installed...we'll see.

Backup camera add is needed, too. I've done several head units, but never a camera. Poking around for what would be the best, easiest, LX worthy option back there. Parallell parking without has been fine, but I'd also like to not oops put my hitch through another car when trying to do so.

Pioneer DMH-1500NEX.jpg

363F4692-D226-43F5-AEC3-7D1D20FC5894.jpeg

PA plates are also ugly, and I'd rather not do vanity, etc. Order form is in for this "classic" looking train plate.

Should blend much more classic and classy with the Golden Pearl. We'll see. First time ever having PA plates, after years of DE and spending most time in NY.

The title just came in the mail today too, so perfect timing.

PA Preserve Our Heritage Plate.jpg

I have on of these with a Pioneer W8500 HU. Works flawlessly.

ERT02 backup cam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom