Just Bought 1992 HDJ81 - Comox Valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I just bought a 1992 HDJ81 from Edmonton - and surprisingly, there is no rust on it! I am new to this forum, new to Land Cruisers, and new to 4wheel drive vehicles - I guess I am the ultimate noobie! The rig is currently getting inspected at Coombs Country Auto and has a few things needing attention - possibly front brakes (R+L wheels are binding), wheel bearings, bushings on the rear shocks, plus a few other things. I am curious about the brakes though as I am considering upgrading to the 93+ style - any thoughts? As for parts I am currently dealing with 4wheel auto in Edmonton. They seemed to have missed some things that came up in Coombs (or their standards are different) but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with 4wheel auto and/or Coombs Country Auto?

Any suggestions for where to get good quality parts, and find a good, honest mechanic knowlegdable on these rigs would be great - it's like trying to navigate through a mind field right now!

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Cruiser.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase! Looks like a nice rig. Welcome to the club too.

Many of us work on our own trucks here, but I do know that RADD cruisers has a good reputation with the type of work your rig needs. They are in Duncan area: http://raddcruisers.ca/ I can't speak to the other 'import' shops on the island. I'm sure other guys here will chip in their ideas.

Does look nice, you don't see them in that colour very often...

Buddy of mine owns a delica, and I think he took it there for a fairly large service recently ( one it's needed since he bought it 5 years ago ) and they didn't rake him over the coals too badly, all things considered.

(unless there's two places in coombs that do a lot of jdm work?)

Radd is good. Probably a better parts source ( and certainly closer) than edmonton...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I do plan on working on it myself but it is going to be a learning curve! I will check out RADD cruisers. Thanks!

I believe John left the business but the others (except Milson) stayed on to run it?

Speaking of Rob Milson, he is another local land cruiser mechanic you could talk to. He is in Chemainus.

It was actually John I spoke to! Thanks for the other name. Does anyone know if the 1992.5 hdj81 came with the upgraded brakes?

You could punch your VIN into toyodiy.com and it will give you the factory part # for your brakes, and you can then compare to a newer truck to see if yours are the same, or the older, smaller front brakes. Nice truck!

You could punch your VIN into toyodiy.com and it will give you the factory part # for your brakes, and you can then compare to a newer truck to see if yours are the same, or the older, smaller front brakes. Nice truck!

Useful little site. I was eyeballing whether the drums on a 60 full floater were the same as a semi float. (speaking of brakes) it would appear they are, which is nice.

Some evidence of a power slide in my trucks dodgy past...:lol:

awesome 80 series! looks like its going to treat you well! I head up skiing often enough, gotta get some snow wheeling in one time!

Rocky Mountain Imports, John Hamilton usually has everything in stock for 80's.

John from Radd is still around. He can get anything for you and has a ton of stock from what I understand. Great guy to deal with.
You should be able to walk into napa get the parts needed from a 94 80 series (pads, rotors and calipers)
Order your backing plates and other s*** from Akella here on the forum.

Thanks for the great info guys. Franken60, that's a really nice looking 60! Probably something I'm gonna get down the road, way down the road haha!

thanks man! I hope to have an 80 series as well, hard to find 5 speeds though. is yours?

I've been happy with NAPA pads, rotors, and Callipers.

John has been wrenching in cruisers since before I met him 23 years ago, I'd go to him if I needed help. Lots of other good cruiser folks on the island... Not like many other gear heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom