Just another Saginaw P/S woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

I'd like to hear from you guys about my problem recently with my rig's power steering system. I noticed that when i turn the wheel full right or full left, i can feel a strong wobble on the steering wheel. But I don't experience this while I'm driving straight on the road.

Does anyone of you guys experience this with your Saginaw P/S? What could be wrong with my power steering?

Need your sound advise.

TIA

cheers!

gado

Is the steering mod new, or is this a new condition to an existing Saginaw set-up? I would jack the front end off the ground, and check wheels for wobble. Your wheel bearing could be failing, and the condition shows itself when the pressure is forced from the side...

Is your rig SOA? You might want to jack it up and have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock. The bolts used to limit how much you turn could be moving past the stops on the axle. That could be what you are feeling.

Here's a pic of my axle. SOA and cut-n-turned. You can see the stops and the red bolt used to limit steering.

IMG_3480.jpg

The steering box consists of two major parts, the worm gear, which brings 'in' the motion from the steering column, and the sector shaft, which sends the motion 'out' to the pitman arm and the drag link.

While the exact specifications of the two pieces vary from vehicle to vehicle, it is safe to say that the two pieces mesh together with one or the other having an arc to it's relative orientation. The contact between the two pieces will be at the apex of the arc, which should also be at the centerline of steering box travel.

Conversely, because of the fact that only ONE of the two pieces is arc shaped, ther will be increasing amounts of freeplay as one or the other of the parts moves away from the centerline. If you were to shut off your vehicle with the wheels turned, you could see this freeplay.

If your vehicle has tracking issues related to caster or camber, they will also be more evident with the knuckles turned one way or the other. The knuckles have their own specific static orientation, and their layover angles, or Ackerman angles, as Luke Porter from 4x4 labs explains it, are sensitive to any change from stock orientation.

My guess is that you are experiencing a combination of the two.

Best

Mark A.

@kurtnkeggen, @davegonz, @65swb45,

It's an old set-up mate. SOA, not cut-n-turn, 36x12.5R15 Simex. Haven't experienced it when my set-up was a bit new. But now, it's kinda getting bad. And the ATF leaks badly at the seal of the worm gear.

cheers!

gado

@kurtnkeggen, @davegonz, @65swb45,

It's an old set-up mate. SOA, not cut-n-turn, 36x12.5R15 Simex. Haven't experienced it when my set-up was a bit new. But now, it's kinda getting bad. And the ATF leaks badly at the seal of the worm gear.

cheers!

gado

There you Go!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom