Builds Just another '69 build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey all, thought i'd get with the program and start a build up thread.
Its a 69 fj40 and it belonged to my grandpa. It sat in the desert since who knows when and hopefully i can get this bad mama jamma looking good. Im putting a 03 chevy vortec gen 3 adapted to the stock 3 sp tcase.

b4andafterlandcruizerpics002-1.jpg

b4andafterlandcruizerpics006.jpg

Aprilpics053.jpg

few pics of the tear down

Just tearing things out i seriously found all parts of the parker desert in this thing haha

supapics014.jpg

pulling the motor....
supapics024.jpg

supapics036.jpg

supapics242.jpg

thanks

thats awesome 69 was a golden year you doing any big modifacation to yours? Im pretty new to car resto so im kinda wingin it as i go haha but hopefully if everything runs smooth i should be able to fit a gen three 5.3L chevy vortec running power steering and all four disc brakes.

tcase work

Here are some pics of progress
First some Transfer case work

Before...
supapics239.jpg

and after some intense cleaning, resealing, and converting from vacuum to direct transfer, this is the end result....
2-18-07015.jpg
2-18-07016.jpg

Engines and all their crazyness

ok so i was searching on what to do for the engine and after bounching around the idea of rebuilding the stock F engine or just doing a chevy conversion i decided when i was searching craigslist one day to throw in a Generation three 5.3L vortec chevy and advance adapters would make that possible

The New motor.....
supapics034-1.jpg

I had john at speartech wiring redo my wiring harness and ECM to spec to axle gears, transfer gears, he also deleted the governer, airbags and all the unnecessary power stealing componets
supapics033.jpg

any feedback?

shoot i thought i would get ripped apart at least a little bit for going chevy in toyota bummer haha well heres some pics of the adapter and that awesome process..

First we had to cut the outpuit shaft on the 4L60e which sucked
3-8-07005.jpg

3-8-07012.jpg

Then we bolted AA adapter the the Tcase

2-18-07061.jpg

So i bought this direct shift kit from classic cruisers and it didnt quite line up so my buddy jason did some badass fab'in
2-18-07059.jpg

Getting something like that from your grampa makes it even more cool in my opinion. Cool project :beer:

what happened to the parking break drum?

Pretty bad-ass setup your looking at dropping in your rig. Looking forward to seeing it all starting to come together. Good luck.

Kevin

Great Progress

That thing is coming along great. I wish i could say i was that far on mine too.. My sand blaster just got here the other day so i am going to sand blst my frame and body. I got the front axle out and one knuckle off. are you going to do the SOA on yours. Let me know how your drivelines and everything turn out. 69 was deffinentely a golden year.

that looks great. I rode in my buddies jeep with a 350 and 3-spd auto the other day and man it has balls. Too much for me I don't know what kind of HP that Vortec has but you better put some wheelie bars on the back of your cruiser :hillbilly:

Two things here: 1. I wish I had my grampa's first truck - a Model A stakebed, but that is for another forum. 2. I have been told that you must own a car that is the same age as yourself and for that, I wish I had your rig. Great to watch it come together!

cool rig, Just needs the t-case and nose cone brace and your good to go....

Rear GM Disc Brake work

So I decided to go with a GM disc brake conversion for the rear axle, and in reading the tech section, I saw there was a little bit of info on the matter, but I think I might be doing something crazy here....any thoughts?

Before...
supapics234-1.jpg

A little bit of rebuild...
s3.jpg

s9.jpg

3-8-07034.jpg

3-8-07033.jpg

3-8-07037.jpg

and on to the brakes..
I raided a junk yard and came across a 2001 chevy silverado rear end, so I grabbed the calipers, rotors, parking brake, the whole set up....
Obviously its not just going to bolt directly on, but seeing as both are a 6 lug set up, all I had to do was turn the rear end into a 4 bolt mounting setup....

randombabyyy238.jpg

randombabyyy246.jpg

randombabyyy245.jpg

randombabyyy248.jpg

randombabyyy251.jpg

randombabyyy250.jpg

ah...and I had to machine out the inside of the GM rotors to fit over the end of the axle...

Im hoping this will hold, any thoughts on this? did I just ruin my rear end?

So I decided to go with a GM disc brake conversion for the rear axle, and in reading the tech section, I saw there was a little bit of info on the matter, but I think I might be doing something crazy here....any thoughts?

Before...
supapics234-1.jpg

A little bit of rebuild...
s3.jpg

s9.jpg

3-8-07034.jpg

3-8-07033.jpg

3-8-07037.jpg

and on to the brakes..
I raided a junk yard and came across a 2001 chevy silverado rear end, so I grabbed the calipers, rotors, parking brake, the whole set up....
Obviously its not just going to bolt directly on, but seeing as both are a 6 lug set up, all I had to do was turn the rear end into a 4 bolt mounting setup....

randombabyyy238.jpg

randombabyyy246.jpg

randombabyyy245.jpg

randombabyyy248.jpg

randombabyyy251.jpg

randombabyyy250.jpg

ah...and I had to machine out the inside of the GM rotors to fit over the end of the axle...

Im hoping this will hold, any thoughts on this? did I just ruin my rear end?

This is EXACTLY what I have been wanting to do. I have been looking through the local pic-n-pulls for a suitable donor axle but the yards all want way too much.

I'd like more pics and details on what you did.

Don

Just like you said, I just raided the pick a part and found the rear brake setup off a 2001 chevy silverado for about $175. This included calipers, rotors(i bought new ones though), backing plate, mounting plate, parking brake (which is a drum setup) and all hard lines that are attached.

IMG_8143.jpg

I tried my luck painting the calipers red, well see how it turns out....

After all the parts are acquired, my buddy and I then made our attempt to fit the GM 4 bolt mount plate on the rear end mount. NOTE: Requires welder, grinder, and fabrication skills.
randombabyyy246.jpg

It became sort of a guess and check process

randombabyyy239.jpg

randombabyyy236.jpg

Once we had the general shape and fit of the mounting plate, we MIG welded the exterior of the bolt holes to give extra strength and support
This was our end mounting result....
IMG_8149.jpg

Now, the inside of the GM rotor is too small to fit over the end of the cruiser axle, so it must be machined out. We figured it was approximately 4.125 inches (again, this was on a sort of guess and check basis)
IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

After the Rotor is machined, everything mounted up very easily.
randombabyyy249.jpg

randombabyyy250.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom