Jupiter and Saturn Close together in sky tonight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Check out Jupiter and Saturn in the Southwest sky tonight just after dark. They are very close together. Tomorrow night they will appear as one bright planet as Jupiter is in front of Saturn, as viewed from Earth. A pair of binoculars will enhance the sight, but not necessary. You could see 3 or 4 of Jupiter's moons with just Binoculars. A telescope would show you Saturn's rings, also.
This is a rare opportunity. Jupiter is about 390 million miles away and Saturn is about 792 million miles away from Earth. Jupiter is about 456 million miles from Saturn. This conjunction happens every 20 years.

I will be 90 years old before I see this again. I have descent eye sight now, who knows in 20 years. 🌟👀🌟 Clear skies tonight so check it out.

The last time these 2 planets appeared this close, at a good time to view them was 1226, back when Genghis Khan was roaming around.

I am looking forward to seeing this!

It took 19 years to put 190K miles on my Runner.... at 9K a year it would take 43,000 years to drive to Jupiter. If you did 100mph 24hrs aur day it would still take you 445 years to get there... But then you would have to turn right around because there would not be a safe place to park.

It took 19 years to put 190K miles on my Runner.... at 9K a year it would take 43,000 years to drive to Jupiter. If you did 100mph 24hrs aur day it would still take you 445 years to get there... But then you would have to turn right around because there would not be a safe place to park.
tenor (1).gif

The last time these 2 planets appeared this close, at a good time to view them was 1226, back when Genghis Khan was roaming around.
I have been looking for a picture of the famous Genghis Klan in his FJ40 in the Gobi desert. If you can find it , it would be a Christmas Miracle!!!:rofl::steer:

Nice set of optics there. How big is the primary, 6"?

Thanks. Its almost 40 years old and could use a good cleaning. Yeah 6" my father in law gave it to us a while back when he bought himself a new 10"
Hard to take a picture with a cell phone, but you can see Jupiter and 3 of its moons and Saturn below it.

IMG_20201221_174607.jpg

To think that Jupiter is closer to Earth than Saturn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom