Junkyard turbo for 1HZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some used turbo ideas for my 1HZ. What have people had luck with? I can find a mitsubishi TDO4HL-15T from Saab 2.3 4-cyl. pretty easily, but will that be big enough for the 1HZ? My friend owns a machine shop so adpator plates are not an issue.

Eventually i will buy a new turbo according to spec, but i just can't afford that right now. TIA

Try and look for something bigger. I would aim for something off of a 2.5 to 3.5 gasser. A supra turbo might be the answer.

Also if you go Garrett it would make life easier for a manifold. But like you said you got a machine shop at your disposal.

I think your 1HZ is gonna flow waay more than a 2-2.5 gasser turbo. But anything off of a hi perf civic may work. Cause they crank them up. I am thinking of the 200-300 hp aftermarket ones. Wait till you hear of some street racing kid crash :),
then follow the tow truck.......

Another thought is the early holset used on the older cummins. Plentiful and has good results on the 3b diesel dude and that other guy who used one. So probably can be cranked up for the 1hZ.

Why the holset is working for them is I think they were low end turbos not meant for a lot of boost, as well the cummins probably is much lower on the rpm scale than a yota diesel..........theory of course.

I think your main set back is the manifold. What have you done for that?

The older (89-93) cummins were too big even for a 5.9 diesel. 94-98 automatics were smaller, a bit too small for the 5.9. I think still too big for an engine a litre and a half smaller.

There are a whole slew of formulas (none of which I know off hand, tho) that will tell you what turbo you should use. When I was looking, I just did some looking on the web for this info.

Most of the junk yard turbos out there are from gas four bangers which are prolly way to small for a 4 litre. But there must be some domestic GM or Mopar products out there with a small six you could use...

Good luck on your project.

-kevin

Keep an eye out for used kits also. i found one for the 2h at a quarter of the cost of a new one and it turned out to be in great shape. Though it might be a little harder to find a used one for the 1hz as most are still running- but who knows.

crushers said:
my advice is do it right the first time.
cheers

Wayne's right you know. So here's what I'd suggest: Go to your local landscaping yard and buy yourself a Money tree. Don't skimp on on a cheap one- buy the best you can afford, they always yield more. Plant it in your yard in an area that's not easily visible (people will actually steal a money tree believe it or not). Then it's just a matter of waiting until it produces $3-4K and you'll be able to do your turbo setup right!

If you're like the rest of us schmos an older garret from a Volvo b230ft should work well for you.

Cheers,
Mac

I thought all depends of your options .. her ewe have more turbo charget diesels than gassers .. so it's more easy find a right good shape turbo from a diesel that a gasser.

supra is a ct-26 variant. There were many ct-26 turbos out there.

just like the ct-20 went on the 2l-t and 22r...

look at some of the pictures of the turbos put on different vehicles here. I see they hang upside down..... so when you pick a junkyard turbo not only does size come into play so does orientation of the exhaust housing etc....

there are some funny looking turbos out there.

I remember once that gm had some turbo'd buicks.......might be in the right zone.

I agree with Wayne on this about doing it right the first time. But a lot of people have had sucess with junkers and sometimes the walet is very thin. Its hard to spend 1k on turbo or more when you aren't selling the truck. It takes budgeting in my lifestlye to afford the new turbo's........one day I will just buy a JDM with a turbo already. :)

Buick Grand National...3.8 litre if I remember correctly. Lots of after market support for this strait line speed meister.

-Kevin

Tapage said:
What is the factory turbo that comes in the 12H-T engine . ?

CT26 varient...

Dinna kin what the ratios are.

gb

Greg_B said:
CT26 varient...

gb

Thanks Greg .. it's interesting, so we get this CT26 in other comercial aplications . ?

Tapage said:
Thanks Greg .. it's interesting, so we get this CT26 in other comercial aplications . ?

toyota supra, mr2- mitusbishi 3000 maybe. Those are ones I know off the top of my head

Ya know as AR ratios go etc, all that tech talk, I must admit wondering how a gasser spins hudge RPMs and yet we can use these compressors on our low RPM diesels?

Guess I should go back to school.......

Greg_B said:
CT26 varient...

gb
Turbo Glide kit for the 1HZ uses the Garrett Hi Flo T28 with the intergrated waste gate.
Exhaust ratio is .86 and the Compressor ratio is .60:cheers:

Radd Cruisers said:
Ya know as AR ratios go etc, all that tech talk, I must admit wondering how a gasser spins hudge RPMs and yet we can use these compressors on our low RPM diesels?

Guess I should go back to school.......

Thats why we are picking turbos off a smaller displacement gasser. SO the max flow on 6-7k RPM gasser at 2.5 liters in size would be closer to the airflow of 3.4L diesel at 4000 rpm. They will flow at max rpm similar CFM's.

Now this range is ballpark and might not give a good performance as per your new ones, but for IE the chysler turbos off of labarons have been found to be in the similar airflow range.

The airflow and AR's, comp wheel angles, weights.......etc. Are huge variables. And you have no garrantee your junkyard turbo will be a match at all.

Where as a Denco or AXT was mapped for the exact application. Where as the junkyard is a guess.

All this theory is not for Radd, more of me rambling :)

Using a 2H as an example for turbo selection.
You want a used turbo from an engine that makes slightly more power than you hope to gain from your engine. For a 2h that develops approximately 75kw multiply this by 1.4. Then you are looking roughly at 105kw. By this you will want a turbo off a motor that develops 120 to 140 kw.
Also the secondhand turbo will need to be clockable,so you can rotate the outputs to the necessary positions required. cheers

The 951 Porsche ( 944 Turbo ) comes with the KKK K26-6 one model in 1988 ( only this year ) the S model, come with the K26-8.

So the normal 951 makes around 210 HP at 5600 rpm .. and the S model make around 247 HP at 6000 rpm ... so those turbo makes sence for my 2H .. I thought maybe I have access to one of those ..

So both turbos are oil and water cooled .. and both engines ( 2.5 4 banger ) are intercooled also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom