1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

junk 2f?!?!?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by nwheels67, Aug 17, 2006.

1. nwheels67

nwheels67

Alright, I had posted a while back about a poorly running 2f, and the recommendation was a compression test and check vac. lines. I finally got around to checking the compression and I might be in for more than I originally thought. Cylinders 1 and 2 only have enough compression to barely tip the guage at about 22, 5 and 6 the same way. In 3 and 4 I got about 130-140.

Basically I am wondering where I need to start on this mess to figure out if the motor is worth saving. A friend said to check the valves and see if some are too tight or too loose but then another said head gasket or toasted exhaust valves. I'm just trying to get a good starting point on all this without dumping a bunch of money out in the wrong direction. Any suggestions are appreciated as I am clueless with the 2f it's not simple like my old 22r.
    NICK

2. PAFJ

PAFJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Adjusting the valves would be a good place to start. Where at in Washington are you located? If close...I could possibly lend a hand. PM me if you want.

:cheers:

3. NocalFJ60

NocalFJ60

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah.. check the valves is the first thing to try. Those numbers seem very low and other cylinders read high so its not your gauge. You pushing the gas pedal to the floor when cranking the engine?

4. nikos8

nikos8

x3 valve job first. Check compression again. If it still the same you might have to remove the head and take a look at the piston rings and cylinder walls.

5. VETTE60

VETTE60

Media:
    Albums:
    what you should do is.....check the compression and adjust the valves on a fuel injected chevy 350 before you drop it in!:grinpimp:

6. sl33py

sl33py

Nick - where in WA? Did you get it up to temp before testing? did you do a wet test as well?

Did you talk nice to it? (that one always gets me...)

rob

7. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

My vote is for a blown gasket. If the oil isn't milky yours is probably blown between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. I had mine go between 3 & 4. Same symptoms as you describe. It really isn't a big deal to replace and have the valves done and the head checked while it's off. It's a heavy SOB though!

8. texapino

texapino

had the same problem, valves were to tight causing #6 to be bad

9. fj40charles

fj40charles

Just cruious why you want to have the thottle open when taking compression reading.

10. nwheels67

nwheels67

the engine has been running so crappy i could barely keep it running to move it around, that's what made me do the compression test. as for warming it up or doing a wet test i wasn't able to do so, it was basically pull a plug at a time crank it 3 times and see what i got. i am located in centralia which is about 20 miles south of olympia. i'm not really sure on adjusting valves which is why i have not tried it in the past, what do i need to do to figure it out?

11. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

If you leave the butterflies closed you will get low readings..

12. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

X2

When you have the same low reading in two adjacent cylinders, suspect a head gasket leak between the two.

13. Tinker

Tinker

Zippy
    You'd adjust the valves 1st, no?

14. fj40charles

fj40charles

Thanks Mace.. Good to know..

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">