June trail ride Greenhorn Mountain, Saturday, June 15th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
I need to call the USFS to ensure the road is going to open as scheduled (seasonal closure through June 15 printed on MVUM).

The plan is to meet at the south location (Safeway store on 1920 S. Nevada Avenue at West Cheyenne Road) between 8am and 830am. We'll depart at 830am and travel I-25 South to Farista (near Walsenburg) and take Hwy 69 north-northwest to Gardner.

We can meet the Pueblo/Pueblo West members somewhere south of Pueblo.

From Gardner, we'll turn north on FS Road 634 and drive to Mission Wolf, and tour the sanctuary/rescue. From here, we will continue on FS Road 636 and back to 634 to the peak of Greenhorn Mountain.

I plan to camp, and might backtrack in order to camp at the Mission Wolf area. If you're coming for a day-trip only, you can proceed north on FS Roads 369, 361, and 360 to emerge on Hwy 165 near Bishop's Castle.

Sunday morning, I plan to break camp and go north to tour Bishop's Castle, and maybe fish a little at Lake Isabel.

Post here if you're coming, and whether you plan to camp overnight, or not.

roads may be closed also due to a forest fire burning in the area... idk how close it is but i know its near gardner down there some where

roads may be closed also due to a forest fire burning in the area.

The state's wildfire page has no indication of active wildfires, statewide. (State of Colorado Division of Fire Prevention & Control)

so then a quick engine search "Huerfano County wildfire" brings up the Reveille fire, started by lightning on 2 or 3 June, 100 acres, 9 miles N of Gardner according to https://www.outtherecolorado.com/

Details here: Reveille Fire Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System

Last edited:
Looking at the details, and the "Public Info Field Map" on Out There Colorado, the fire is approximately 3 miles SE of Mission Wolf. It appears the FS and fire suppression units are using FS Roads 630, 636, and 634 for "drop points", "heli-pots", and fire "breaks".

I think it's an easy decision to avoid this area.

Shall we choose an alternate--Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road, Goose Creek Wilderness (Deckers/Cheeseman area), Cloverdale Mine?

Medano Pass is not "open" still (page last updated 9 June).

Last edited:
My wife is working the fire up there right now... she says they are going to be lighting more fires in the area today for prescribed burns, this is the map, the red is the burn area as of this morning. She is pretty sure all the roads are open but I would also recommend a backup plan... seems like this year’s trail schedule isn’t working out with nature... lol
4401C674-BEB2-42BB-9C09-37A856611BA3.jpeg

She also said they have tractors working non stop to improve the roads and that they are much nicer then we have ever seen them since they are planning ahead in using the roads for fire mitigation

have you guys ever explored around Black Mountain? its a bueatiful drive around black mountain through an old community of rye slough. i would show it to u guys if anybody is interested

have you guys ever explored around Black Mountain? its a bueatiful drive around black mountain through an old community of rye slough. i would show it to u guys if anybody is interested
Chase, our plan B is to do Cloverdale mine trail near Hillside. We will camp near Rainbow lake. Are you interested?

Reactions: SAS
possibly but i think that road was only open to rainbow lake last week or 2 weeks ago... maybe its had some significant melt since then

i think that road was only open to rainbow lake last week or 2 weeks ago

Trip report on trailsoffroad dated 8 June says it is open to near the cabins before the large boulder field, which is above both reservoirs.

For any watching this thread, we're going with Plan B, Cloverdale Mine to fish and camp near the Rainbow Lake (upper lake). Bill and I are "in", Josh is "in" but not camping this time. Chase looks to be "in". Anyone else???

South Nevada Safeway, 1920 S. Nevada is the address. Cheyenne Road (not Boulevard) is the cross-street. Meet between 8 and 830.

Depart at 830am. Travel down 115 to Penrose, then 50 west to Canon City. Pick up Chase at Wally World (assume he's coming) around 945-10am. Continue west to Texas Creek then go south on Hwy 69 to CR 198 at Hillside (little village).

CB Channel 4
HAM --to be determined

Last edited:
Sorry I can’t make it in the morning.. got a project to finish but hopefully I can meet up with u guys in the afternoon for some fishing or something! Have a great time guys

We had a good trip, and did a little fishing and camping. Three trucks--Tacoma, FJ40, FJ60. Camped at the upper lake, and went up the trail this morning to see where the snowline is--found it at the same place reported on trailsoffroad last week, the cabins before the big boulder field (Waypoint 9 on the guide). Gonna be a few weeks before it's open to the top.
20190615_144353.jpg
20190615_144940.jpg
20190615_200639.jpg
20190616_104028.jpg

20190616_104120.jpg

my dad saw you guys on hwy 69 between hillside and westcliffe, he was hauling his bobcat to their place in westcliffe, i wish i didn't miss it looks like a good time!!

Reactions: SAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom