June ROTM- Verde Valley Traverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pitch

Driving from the 2nd row
SILVER Star
Threads
The run date will be June 4th. We will be traveling in the Prescott, and Coconino NF's.

Two potential start times:
8:30 am start at I-17/Hwy 169 Exit, east side of Hwy. This is for those that want to do
the ENTIRE VV traverse. We will cross from south to north. We will air down here.

10:00 am start from the White Bridge day use area on Hwy 260 near Camp Verde. This
will be a bottoms-up portion of the VV traverse, but if you came from I-17 in the south…
that counts for something. Air down while you are getting ready.

Please be on time, ready to go at the posted times.

This is an overnight run. The are options for a bail out at the end of the day. Meaning, I can point you in the right direction, but you are on your own to get out without getting lost if you are not wanting to camp.

For the 830 starters: We will begin near I-17 and Hwy 169 (Cherry Rd/Dewey Humboldt exit), and come out either on Lake Mary Rd about 30 mi south of Flagstaff, or at the Stoneman Lake Exit off of I-17. There will be approx 8 miles of pavement at the bottom of the Verde Valley (in Camp Verde) between dirt sections. The total dirt mileage will be just under 50 miles, a little over 40 of those being the stretch between Camp Verde and Lake Mary Rd (FH3 on maps). The run is stocker friendly, but stock vehicles will probably want adequate skids/ rocker protection, 31" tires, and a skilled driver. Lockers not needed. Good tires are a must. Off road Trailers should be OK.

We will have the option to visit the Apache Maid Firetower along the way. We will likely camp nearby. No permits will be required. It will be fire season, so the safety of a nighttime campfire is TBD. We will likely be camping between 6500 and 7500', so it should be relatively cool at night.

I will be on CB for trail communications.

A group of 4 experienced drivers covered this route in around 6-7 hours this weekend (April 30th). Two 80's on 35's, a 4Runner on 31's, and an FJC with trailer on 32's/33's with a trailer. This will be a long day, but the scenery is good: riparian areas, cattle, elk, antelope, deer, dueling banjos, we saw it all. We will be camping in the pine trees. Expect a long day on the trail, bring food/water/etc.

For those wishing to camp out the night before the run, there are some areas that would be OK for dispersed camping on FR 136, just east of I-17 near the I-17/Hwy 169 exit. This will be the first taste of dirt on the traverse, part of our planned route. Post up if you are interested:

In:
Pitch
ftbshop
Saddletramp
verruckt1
Otter
boofaz
Chrismanjs
oilbrnr
Murf
Mattman
Old School G
Cruddz
Funner
LongDuck
letsride

Last edited:
We are in. Looking forward to it. Since youre leading, you cant back out of this one ;)

I plan on going. Hopefully will be heading down from up north instead of heading up from the valley.

Tina and I are in.

Count me in.

Regarding the possibility of a fire ban being in effect, does anyone know if a small propane fire ring would be banned as well or does a ban just apply to wood fueled fires?

Count me in.

Regarding the possibility of a fire ban being in effect, does anyone know if a small propane fire ring would be banned as well or does a ban just apply to wood fueled fires?
Propane fire rings are usually OK.

Where does this route cross the Verde?

Where does this route cross the Verde?
Via pavement on Hwy 260.

Nothing fancy here. The Dugas-Childs crossing is closed from what I hear. And, the bridge at Perkinsville is too far out of our way. That is another run, for another day.

I'm in unless work intervenes.

How much time do you think will be at Verde Valley elevation? Thinking of taking a FJ40 but June and the Verde Valley might be a little warm in June with no A/C. Heading North into the Verde Valley will it be on the east or west side of I-17?

How much time do you think will be at Verde Valley elevation? Thinking of taking a FJ40 but June and the Verde Valley might be a little warm in June with no A/C. Heading North into the Verde Valley will it be on the east or west side of I-17?

Guess you're not living that far back in the past that you can't survive without A/C. :p

My guess is east of 17 on 680 to Salt Mine Rd. in the valley, 260 to FS 618 up to 689 and then Stoneman Lk Rd.

Guess you're not living that far back in the past that you can't survive without A/C. :p

A lot of those years (over 40) in the past was driving my 68 FJ40 with no air or flow thru ventilation. Remembering all those years is why I even asked. Even driving around at 7,000' it gets hot and stuffy inside in June with no ventilation. It's even worse when your driving slow. Then if your driving fast in a group on a dirt road your eating dust with the front windows rolled down. End of the day your hot sweaty and skin feels like sand paper. Haven't been out in a FJ40 for a long time. Not as long for my FJ62 but still too long. Last May I plan on taking my FJ62 but didn't work out.

[QUOTE="oilbrnr, post: 10312893, member: 915

My guess is east of 17 on 680 to Salt Mine Rd. in the valley, 260 to FS 618 up to 689 and then Stoneman Lk Rd.[/QUOTE]

There are two possible entry points into the VV. The known entity is through Cherry. Horribly scenic, and not difficult at all. Option 2 is via Copper Canyon and Salt Mine Rd. I need to investigate. 618 will be on the menu as well, but 214 will be our route out of the VV.

I need to check some more details on the route before the group run. I have done the 618-214 route previously. All the PNF and CNF roads should be open for the season. A few of us will be pre-running in late April/early May.

@Living in the Past, time between 3 and 5k feet should be no more than 2.5 hours (pure guesswork :hmm:).

Last edited:
Im in.

In!
but.... any chance for a later start time for those of us driving up from the valley? Like 10am?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom