June Hurricane Creek Trip - June 21/22/23 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Moonshine survived GSMTR this year!! That means @Bryanseye and I will be leading the June HC trip for our NC/SC TLCA clubs.

Typically it's the first or second weekend in June, but my schedule is packed this month, so we're doing June 21/22/23. I apologize for not getting this thread up sooner, but here it is!!

Past thread for reference:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday June 21st. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Planning ahead for dinner on Friday and Saturday night, we typically do a potluck. Let’s hear some ideas on what we should do for those 2 nights? Once we come to a conclusion on what we will be eating, post up what you will bring to contribute.

Sign-ups

ONSC:
1. @GLTHFJ60
2. @forrest5000
3. @SeanLX
4. @SFROMAN

UC:
1. @Bryanseye
2: @aquatech3
3: @Southeast Overland
4: @SCDerby
5: @BillWright

LCLC:
1. @Salty Dog

Wait List:

Tagging past june attendees and others who have expressed interest:
@SFROMAN
@forrest5000
@SeanLX
@AJR
@jimsmith1370
@mtweller
@jrmudder92
@AndrewHadji
@jamesurq
@ceby
@aquatech3
@Trollhole
@ikanclim
@BillWright
@dmark84
@IcutYourCruiser
@Tincan93
@ErikinSC
@JToobe
@dbenke

Last edited:
oof, hoping to get the truck back mid june, ill be a tentative unfortunately

In ,already put in for time off.

I think this works. Count me in.

unfortunately I have to pick up my kids from camp near Winston Salem on that Friday . So I am out

I can make it.

Will be running late on Friday though. If that’s cool. Then sign me up

With that, the ONSC portion is packed out. Further ONSC members will be on the waiting list from here on out.

@Bryanseye what date should we allow wait list people to take slots in other clubs (if slots not taken)? 6/16?

With that, the ONSC portion is packed out. Further ONSC members will be on the waiting list from here on out.

@Bryanseye what date should we allow wait list people to take slots in other clubs (if slots not taken)? 6/16?
That’s fair.

We’re in. I have one contingency I have to work through but should be able to settle that in the next day or so.
Should I bring some shine?

See y'all on Friday. Taking beer requests now. Could do a keg if you wanted, just need advance notice...
A keg won’t fit in my fridge.

I think I need a bigger fridge. 😁

Kellerweis for me. 🍻

I offered a keg and then realized getting y'all to decide on a single beer would make my head spin so name your can and bottle wants and that'll be that.

Dang....this is one trip I hate to miss. On a positive note, I’ll be drinking beer in Germany 🍻🇩🇪

Damn, the conflict I thought I could easily overcome has gotten worse, so now I'm out. I really hate this cause we really wanted to go again this year but some lucky guy on the wait list will have a great time. Maybe I can convince someone to take my growler back to Sierra Nevada and refill it. On second thought, that would never make it back to me with anything in it, so scratch that idea, too.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom