Events/Trails June 16-20 Club Campout: Multi-Night Thru Black Rock Desert (No Playa!) (1 Viewer)

Will you attend?

• Yes! 18-20th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes! 19th & 20th

• Yes, but I special dates (specify in comments)

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Inaugural Black Rock Overland Adventure 2021 - RSVP on our club website.
When: Wednesday June 16, 2021 @11AM (to head to Alturas, CA). See notes below on alternate times and dates.
Trailboss: TBD/Multiple
Where
: Northern Black Rock Desert
Meet Up: Thursday Morning: Chimney Rock Travel Center, 27002 US-395, Alturas, CA 96101
Travel Time: Varies
What to Bring: GAS, Camera, GAS, Cool weather gear (layers), GAS, water, GAS, food, GAS, camping gear, GAS, recovery gear, GAS, HAM radio.... and GAS!
Frequencies: 146.460 alt 146.052 - I highly recommend an installed mobile 2m ham radio for this trip. Handhelds just don't have the power and range if we get spread out or separated. I also recommend a Garmin InReach for emergency communications. Do this even if you do not have your license yet. At very least you can listen into the trial team's conversations and anyone can use a ham in an emergency. Program the Black Rock Desert repeaters into your radio before you go. You'll need a dual band (2m/70cm) or 2nd radio to hit the main repeater on 440.175. We may hold an impromptu HAM JAM to help everyone get setup properly before the trip.

Use the poll to RSVP so we know who to expect and how many rigs will be on the trail.

Details

This is a big multi-day trip! 168 miles almost all offroad that will start on Wednesday June 16, 2021 in Alturas ,CA and end on Sunday June 20th at Denio Junction, NV. The route is designed in such a way as to allow people to join up with the group each day in the event they are unable to get the Wed-Fri off or have other commitments that will not allow them to stay for the entire trip. The map below details how this will work. The orange/yellow trail is the main track for this trip. We will plan on breaking camp and heading out each day by 10AM.

1620319081894.png
1620319158269.png

Some members of Toyotally Awesome Cruisers may join us for this adventure. Please have your people respond to the poll too @hairy_apple.

Fuel pumps are only available at the start and end of the trip, so you'll need to bring what you think you'll need. Those who have larger vehicles and can carry a few extra cans should do so to help others out in a pinch.

1615574088522.png

Day 1 (Wednesday June 16)- Travel Day to Alturas. Hotels in the area include:
Day 2 (Thursday June 17) - Head to the Chimney Rock Travel Center, 27002 US-395, Alturas, CA 96101 to gas up regroup outside of town. Note that there are a few gas stations in Cedarville for a final top-off before we head into the BRD. Then continue on to the "Western Trailhead" is just north of Alturas which gives us a fairly civilized and straightforward route to Steven's Camp at the northern most part of High Rock Canyon. It is about 2-hours and 67 miles from Chimney Rock to Steve's camp.

Day 3 (Friday June 18)- The turquoise route on the map shows the route along Country Road 34 N from Gerlach to Steven's Camp. This would be the route to use to meet up with us before we head into High Rock Canyon. We head North-to South into High Rock Canyon today. This canyon is part of the Applegate/Lassen Emigrant Trail and there is a lot of history along this route. If you are doing Black Rock, it is a must see! We take the HRC trail to Soldier Meadows Hot Springs. With stops, this is a 4-6 hour trial ending in a boondock campsite with multiple plots. We will attempt to snag the Solider Meadows BLM cabin that has a vault toilet and is large enough to sleep several people inside (bring your own cots/bedding). There are picnic tables, BBQ, firepit outside and plenty of space to setup ground or rooftop tents. We should have plenty of daylight to explore this area which includes several hot springs, remains of the Soldier Meadows fort to the north, and several trails.

Day 4 (Saturday June 19) - The green trail starting at the "Turnout to Solider Meadows" is the route to take if you want to meet us in the morning. You will take CR34 N to get to the turnout. Day three will take us into Tollhouse Canyon past Summit Lake and eventually around the northern slope of Summit Lake Mountain. This portion of the trail is unexplored by anyone in the club, so expect some possible setbacks or a need for us to backtrack as we explore. We will eventually stop at Knott Creek in the western Pine Forest Range where we will seek out a spot for camping. There are two bodies of water in the Pine Forest hills where swimming and fishing may be options. Because this is a new section of BRD, travel time is unknown, but the route is about 30 miles.

Day 5 (Sunday June 20) - The light blue and dark blue trails to the southeast of Knott Creek will be the shortest route to meetup with us on Day 4. The plan is to jump onto "Wreckage Trail" and head north past Continental Lake. We will cross Hwy 140 and take a 12 mile trail to a WWII bomber wreck site where a portion of plane remains. Denio Junction is only 3 miles down the 140 from the this turnoff, so we can jump over there to gas up before heading to the wreck. We will then backtrack to 140 E to the 205/140 Denio Junction where folks may choose to camp/rent a hotel for a night to recoup before making the long drive back to Reno, or just head straight home.

Here's an exploded view of the wreckage trail.
1615573423064.png

Last edited:
The trip is still open for discussion, but I wanted to get something posted so folks could start planning. If anyone has an idea for a location other than Black Rock, please chime in. :)

Just a note, Knott Creek Reservoir fishing season opens the 2nd Saturday of June. So you'll be going through their opening week. Last year it was very crowded. This year, due to a fish die off at the end of the last summer, it might be less crowded. But the fishing is likely to be quite off given the die off.

That said, it is a gorgeous trail into and out of the reservoir... and I highly recommend it even if you drive on through. If you are up for a cooler way out of Knott Creek to Denio Junction, you can go out via Onion Valley Reservoir instead of out via Devil Faucet Hot Spring.

Lastly, if the rains heavily at the Knott Creek, the south road (from Pearl Camp / Leonard Creek) can become impassible. it is clay and steep. Also, as you drop down the reservior, whether coming from the north or south, the road is mine field of tire slashing rocks. Be sure to air down properly. Typically I air down a bit when I first leave pavement and lower again when I hit these rocky sections.

If the KCR road from Pearl Camp is impassible, you can stay on Pearl Camp road.... which will take you north to Devil Faucet Hot Spring. Though you could then go up KCR from there, given your plan, likely best just to carry on north.

BTW, if anyone is interested in spending more time near the start point of your trip, I know the Warner range fairly well... having been up there a few times going after redband trout. However, in mid June, some of the passes can easily be impassible. I did my first ever self recovery one June up there after attempting to cross one too many snow drifts.

Like others in the club, I've never been to the middle area of your planned route. There's some stuff in that area I would really like to explore some day.

Just a note, Knott Creek Reservoir fishing season opens the 2nd Saturday of June. So you'll be going through their opening week. Last year it was very crowded. This year, due to a fish die off at the end of the last summer, it might be less crowded. But the fishing is likely to be quite off given the die off.

That said, it is a gorgeous trail into and out of the reservoir... and I highly recommend it even if you drive on through. If you are up for a cooler way out of Knott Creek to Denio Junction, you can go out via Onion Valley Reservoir instead of out via Devil Faucet Hot Spring.

Lastly, if the rains heavily at the Knott Creek, the south road (from Pearl Camp / Leonard Creek) can become impassible. it is clay and steep. Also, as you drop down the reservior, whether coming from the north or south, the road is mine field of tire slashing rocks. Be sure to air down properly. Typically I air down a bit when I first leave pavement and lower again when I hit these rocky sections.

If the KCR road from Pearl Camp is impassible, you can stay on Pearl Camp road.... which will take you north to Devil Faucet Hot Spring. Though you could then go up KCR from there, given your plan, likely best just to carry on north.

BTW, if anyone is interested in spending more time near the start point of your trip, I know the Warner range fairly well... having been up there a few times going after redband trout. However, in mid June, some of the passes can easily be impassible. I did my first ever self recovery one June up there after attempting to cross one too many snow drifts.

Like others in the club, I've never been to the middle area of your planned route. There's some stuff in that area I would really like to explore some day.

You should come with! It would be nice to have your expertise on this trip. The tentative date is June 16-20.

You should come with! It would be nice to have your expertise on this trip. The tentative date is June 16-20.
If I sort out a safe way to carry 5-10 gals of gas on the rig, I might be game. FJ Cruisers only have a 19 gal tank and suck gas pretty fast. I really need to install a scanguage or equivalent and do some testing to get a better handle on my range.

I do have an offroad trailer I could drag that is setup to carry 4 jerries. While I normally split the four between gas and water (for extended stay camping), I could run with with 4 gas jerries and store water in cab or the trailer box. But then my MPG would suffer even more.

But probably better to just figure out how to carry some extra gas or if someone is intending to carry water outside the rig, have them carry gas for me while I carry their water in my cab.

But this all said, I haven't sorted out all my summer schedule... and my wife might have other plans for me in that timeframe. So, for now, only put me down as "interested".

Last edited:
So I booked a hotel for Wed night at Hotel Niles in Alturas and Sunday night at Candlewood Suites in Winnemucca. I'll do the long drive home on Monday fully refreshed.

Hotel Niles has a coffee shop and a steakhouse inside (I know right! In Alturas!!!) and I'll get to eat breakfast at The Griddle on Monday. Yum!

Can't wait. Are we still only up to 4? Is range anxiety keeping the numbers down? I'll carry as much gas as I can to help anyone else out.

I think we will get a few more. Some folks will meet us on Friday Morning at Steven's Camp to do High Rock and camp at Soldier Meadows then head home. Some other folks continue on from there. I think @hairy_apple is gonna come (RIGHT!?) ;) so that's six rigs.

So I would love to join you guys on this trip, I’m from Alturas but living in Fall River Mills, about 1hr west On 299. I have a fishing derby and Wedding on the 19th. I might be up for dinner Wednesday if you guys do dinner Wednesday night.
8A49C27A-44D7-47B4-B90D-48729F48180C.jpeg
F052D1A2-EC0A-4178-AD30-737AE31F268C.jpeg

So I would love to join you guys on this trip, I’m from Alturas but living in Fall River Mills, about 1hr west On 299. I have a fishing derby and Wedding on the 19th. I might be up for dinner Wednesday if you guys do dinner Wednesday night.
View attachment 2675205View attachment 2675208

I think only two of us will be in Alturas on Wed night at this point. I plan on eating at the restaurant inside Hotel Niles if it seems good.

You should join us for the 16th-18th! You'll go through high rock and soldier meadow and you could head home via Gerlach so you are home for the stuff on the 19th.

I think only two of us will be in Alturas on Wed night at this point. I plan on eating at the restaurant inside Hotel Niles if it seems good.

You should join us for the 16th-18th! You'll go through high rock and soldier meadow and you could head home via Gerlach so you are home for the stuff on the 19th.

I thought about that, I would have to ditch work Thursday which is not a problem unless something is going on (Fire). Still not out of the possibility, I could exit out of High Rock and head west toward 34, as you guys head to fly canyon.

Anybody bringing their 4 legged co-pilots?thinking of bringing my 11 month old pup.

Anybody bringing their 4 legged co-pilots?thinking of bringing my 11 month old pup.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a way to secure it.

@Tony_Farson , can you change the layout of the calendar on the club website? I went to check it out and thought, briefly, that the club run was shown mistakenly as being on Friday because of the atypical layout (left to right, starts on Monday, non Sunday). I think it's important to have it follow typical layouts that we are all used to in order to avoid confusion.

@Tony_Farson , can you change the layout of the calendar on the club website? I went to check it out and thought, briefly, that the club run was shown mistakenly as being on Friday because of the atypical layout (left to right, starts on Monday, non Sunday). I think it's important to have it follow typical layouts that we are all used to in order to avoid confusion.

I'll check again. I seem to recall that I couldn't a few months ago. Standby...

Tur dur!

1621266342078.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom