Jumping over here from the 80 Series forum - FJ60 factory oil pressure spec? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm an 80 owner and I have a buddy who lives on a rural property who has a 60 series and the oil gauge is acting up. He stopped driving it out of concern. Could someone post the Toyota oil pressure specs for me? Usually it's a hot idle number and then sometimes the FSM also has another pressure listing for perhaps 3000 rpm or similar, which I'll need to confirm all is well.

I'm headed up there in a day or two with a mechanical guage. I'm also wondering if anyone knows the factory threaded oil pressure sender hole size in the block. I have an 88 Supra Six cylinder and the block fitting is an odd 1/8 BSP (NOT the NPT) thread which Toyota was fond of in those days. So what say ye about these two items?

We will be working by flashlights. Outside. December. Idaho. Up in the mountains. So I want to get this right as it's over an hour to get out there. Thanks for any assist.

IdahoDoug

I don't have spec data for you, but I can relay that the 60-series oil pressure gauges are notorious for being nonworking or wildly off. use the search forum function here and you'll see what I mean. Good chance there isn't even a problem with the oil pressure, just the stupid stock gauge.

You can’t kill an I6 with low oil pressure, not for a long long time

Ive had some that idled on 2psi and ran on 5psi

Yes, before posting, I read a dozen threads on 60 oil pressure here. Without fail, they discussed "1/3" or 2/3" on the guage and I got the inaccuracy of them clearly. Even 40-60 psi hot without an RPM is not useful information. Is there a spec in your factory service manuals in the "LUBRICATION" section? Help a brother out here :banana:

Nevermind, I found it - where else - the 80 Series section. You guys can go back to sleep now :rofl:

Yes, before posting, I read a dozen threads on 60 oil pressure here. Without fail, they discussed "1/3" or 2/3" on the guage and I got the inaccuracy of them clearly. Even 40-60 psi hot without an RPM is not useful information. Is there a spec in your factory service manuals in the "LUBRICATION" section? Help a brother out here :banana:

40 at idle, 60 at 1-3500 rpm

40psi at idle with a warm engine? Hmm, check your sources on that. I've been wrenching for a long time and have never seen that kind of oil pressure at warm idle. I have no dog in this race but would hate to come up to the 60 forum and leave a thread with an inaccurate last post.

"40 at idle, 60 at 1-3500 rpm"

I'm an 80 owner and I have a buddy who lives on a rural property who has a 60 series and the oil gauge is acting up. He stopped driving it out of concern. Could someone post the Toyota oil pressure specs for me? Usually it's a hot idle number and then sometimes the FSM also has another pressure listing for perhaps 3000 rpm or similar, which I'll need to confirm all is well.

I'm headed up there in a day or two with a mechanical guage. I'm also wondering if anyone knows the factory threaded oil pressure sender hole size in the block. I have an 88 Supra Six cylinder and the block fitting is an odd 1/8 BSP (NOT the NPT) thread which Toyota was fond of in those days. So what say ye about these two items?

We will be working by flashlights. Outside. December. Idaho. Up in the mountains. So I want to get this right as it's over an hour to get out there. Thanks for any assist.

IdahoDoug

40psi at idle with a warm engine? Hmm, check your sources on that. I've been wrenching for a long time and have never seen that kind of oil pressure at warm idle. I have no dog in this race but would hate to come up to the 60 forum and leave a thread with an inaccurate last post.

"40 at idle, 60 at 1-3500 rpm"

FSM for 3FE says max of 70 PSI at 4000 RPM, minimum of 4 PSI at idle.

I recently added a new oil pressure sender and external oil pressure gauge. We also used an external oil pressure gauge tool to verify pressures at the sender port. The new gauge agrees with those. Having driven it a while now and observing, I can confirm that the 3FE at start up usually is about 60 PSI and stays there until warmed up. Idle hangs around 40 +/-5 PSI once warmed up.

"a 60 series and the oil gauge is acting up" is not much information to work with.

The owner should do two things before assuming the gauge is the issue.
1. check to make sure the engine has sufficient oil,
2. examine the oil galley plug in the head because if that has blown out it may lead to oil loss and a engine rebuild.

"a 60 series and the oil gauge is acting up" is not much information to work with.

The owner should do two things before assuming the gauge is the issue.
1. check to make sure the engine has sufficient oil,
2. examine the oil galley plug in the head because if that has blown out it may lead to oil loss and a engine rebuild.
That piece of advice from @Godwin is what put me to work on an oil pressure gauge upgrade and creating an oil low pressure alarm. I had never heard of the oil gallery plug. Thank you, Godwin.

So, I am flat amazed at the oil pressure and owe Mr. Godwin an apology. The engine only has 124k on it and was obviously well treated all its life. With my mechanical guage on it, it ran 70psi cold high idle for 15 minutes and when the oil cooler was too hot to touch, it had dropped to 58psi at 800 rpm idle. Wow. I'm impressed. All's well, thing runs like a...well, like a Toyota Straight Six.

He drove around in the woods for a bit, we got it all muddy and parked it. My 80's all muddy from getting up into the mountains, and I just parked it next to the other 80 which is still muddy from last weekend's jaunt out to a remote hiking trail. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. I hate mud.

There is no oil pressure specification in the 2F engine manual. There are mechanical tolerances associated with the oil pump. Below is from the owners manual (refer to "Station Wagon" graphic). Apprently pretty much anything is OK, depending whether idling or normally driving. My 2F with ca. 230K miles stays solidly in the middle bar whenever the engine is running.

1638457902132.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom