jump seat question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO put a roll bar in my 69. I have only had it a few months when talking to him he told me he found the jump seats, but that they would not fit because of the roll bar.

I thought I saw a pic where the longer seats were used and a rollbar was in place. Is it possible to still use them or do I suck it up and get a pair of shorter ones

TIA
Squizz

If you make a new cage and space the pillars out then you can fit the wide ones, which is the ideal setup IMO. You could mount em up in front of the tubes rather than between them but it'd take up a lot of room and I prolly wouldn't do that. So you might wanna just get some of the smaller ones.

I bet if you get those other ones and ebay em you can make enough to get the smaller ones. Or just offer a trade in the classified section.

Check the rigs on the home page for an example of that widened cage setup.

Here's that pic...

FredTheMonster11.jpg

i like the factory seats but didnt have any so i did this with a heep seat. the cage under the seat has 2 amps and a pair of bose 161's and added a box in the back for tools and spare parts. just another option for you to think about.
IMG_0508a.JPG
IMG_0406a.JPG
IMG_0511a.JPG

I used the middle seat (2 seater in front of the door) from a dodge minivan, bolted onto 3x4 angle iron, then down thru the floor into a peice of angle underneath. worked great, and the seats are available cheap and plentiful, and it fits perfectly between the wheelwells, only thing that I don't like about mine is that it has a armrest on one side only, likely one from a newer van with dual sliding doors would have two or none, which would look nicer

gladly said:
I used the middle seat (2 seater in front of the door) from a dodge minivan, bolted onto 3x4 angle iron, then down thru the floor into a peice of angle underneath. worked great, and the seats are available cheap and plentiful, and it fits perfectly between the wheelwells, only thing that I don't like about mine is that it has a armrest on one side only, likely one from a newer van with dual sliding doors would have two or none, which would look nicer
Post up a pic of this seat setup.

Thanks for all the info and the link guys. I wouldn't mind a custom roll bar and using the longer seat. I know where to look now for rear seat options, where might I find custom roll bars.

TIA

I did the second row Caravan seat but,I did a little welding and duplicated the mounting system so now I not only can use the slider,but also the 2 quick release handles to pull it out fast for those emergency bass fishing expeditions.

What about if I want to use my original jump seats but the roll bar is still in the way, aren't there brackets out there that I can use to get around the roll bar? Does anyone out there have an example of what they did?

My rear roll bar from Specter, P/N 244-416, had brackets welded on that allowed a spacer kit, P/N 244-10 for 1958-73, to be added that moved the long seats towards the center of the truck. If you go to the Specter website and look for these, you might get an idea how to space yours out.

jumpseat.jpg

In this photo, you can see the jumpseat is placed against the rollbar. The brackets I'm talking about are hidden by the back of the seat. However, take a look at the silver upright post that supports the seat back. There's a bracket that attaches to the tub wall. The bracket used to attach directly to the tub wall, but now it has a long spacer standing it off, along with a longer bolt. That should be used as your primary bolt as an index guide for the rest of the spacers for the roll bar, assuming your roll bar lacks the brackets. You can either weld brackets onto the roll bar, or you might be able to use thick barstock and u-bolt a backet to the rollbar, then bolt the seat to the bracket. The barstock might even have to span the uprights, in which case C channel might work best. It's going to depend on how clean you want it and whether you want to weld or not. I suppose you could drill holes in the rollbar, but I've never been keen on doing that.

Also, if your seats have rubber feet under them, the feet will have to be moved back because they will hang off into space once offset by the roll bar. These are the feet that provide support against the wheel well.

Lone Gunman, Which Knaack box did you use for storage?
Lane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom