Jump Pack Hazard! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Problem:
My alternator went bad last weekend. Not too big of a deal to swap it out, however, the tow truck driver used a jump pack to start it and drive it up on the flatbed and off when he got to the house. So, I swapped it out, charged the battery and cranked it up but, had no power anywhere inside the vehicle. Chased fuses and wiring and questioned my own work on whether I installed correctly. Pulled the new alternator and had it bench tested, it failed. I got a new one and had them test it before I left the store, installed it and still had no power. Then I started checking relays and more fuses. Finally, found the culprit. There is a 100amp and 140amp fuse on the positive lead for the battery. They were both blown. Swapped them out and everything is fine.

Lessons:
1. The fuses worked and did exactly what they were supposed to do, they blew out and saved the rest of the electrical system from getting fried.
2. Be very careful when using a jump pack on your vehicle, they can put too many amps in and wreck your day and night.
3. Stop by your local shop and have a spare for those fuses. The 100amp was available at auto stores locally but, the 140amp was only available online or at Toyota. (I have one of each on hand now).

My jump pack has been used on a friends 100 couple times, no issues. Also used on several SxS's with no concern. Could this be a one off? If it matters, it was the jump pack offered by costco.

My jump pack has been used on a friends 100 couple times, no issues. Also used on several SxS's with no concern. Could this be a one off? If it matters, it was the jump pack offered by costco.
It was from interstate batteries on a service contract to the company. Maybe it hadn't been serviced properly. All I know is the fuses were fine when I jumped it off my buddy's truck before the guy put the jump pack on. Then we he delivered it they were blown.

Yeah, I have a GooLoo jump pack (recommended by the guy on YouTube's Project Farm), and I've used it probably 30 times on various vehicles (60, 80, 100, Sequoia, GX, F250, Nissan forklift, etc.) without issue. Unless there was something wrong with the tow truck's unit, I would think it should be no more "dangerous" than using jumper cables. Plus, there's supposed to be "safety circuitry" in the newer models.

On a similar note, I have had one or more of the fuses on my 100 positive cable blow before, but it wasn't due to a jump pack. I'm still not sure of the reason, but your 3 lessons above are good advice and worth heeding.

Just verifying you disconnected the battery before changing the alternator? The charge cable didn't actually short against anything?

I imagine there could have been a number of things going wrong, but the notion that the pack somehow forced excessive current into the system is not plausible IMO if the pack voltage was normal. So I would not extrapolate your unfortunate incident to thinking that correctly using standard 12V jump packs is dangerous. Something else must have happened beyond normal use of a jump pack, I think.

Just verifying you disconnected the battery before changing the alternator? The charge cable didn't actually short against anything?
Yes, I did.

@YJ351LC
Do you have the fuse p/n's please? Seems like a good call to add some extra's to the truck.
No I do not but, they are common for Toyota and the dealer had plenty in stock. Also, they are bolted in, NOT pull out fuses.

@YJ351LC
Do you have the fuse p/n's please? Seems like a good call to add some extra's to the truck.
See previous post.

Jumped my truck several times now, along with my wife's GX, never had an issue.

I honestly don't think it is limited to jump packs. I've heard stories over the years of fuses blowing when jump starting vehicle-to-vehicle as well... even with correct polarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom