July Trip to SE Oklahoma -Wheeling/Camping/Fishing/Swimming (2 Viewers)

What date works best for those interested in going to Clayton in July?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Panzer

SILVER Star
Threads
Dates are: July 14 &15
Activities: TBA
Cost: WMA fees / others TBA

Clayton Lake State Park has decent facilities, showers, swimming beach

http://www.oklahomaparks.com/detail.asp?id=1+5U+3588

Agenda is light wheeling / trail riding, camping, back country if possible, fishing is possible and swimming is likely. (Think creek or lake not pool). This is going to be a newbie, stocker trip, lots of scenic views, creek crossings, etc.
Consider it a shakedown trip for Colorado in August.

Family and kid friendly.
This run will be an open vehicle type run, in case someone has a Landrover or Jeep buddy that wants to tag along.

Last edited:
Well, I voted the 14-15 weekend. The 8th is my wife's birthday and the 16th is our anniversary so either way I'm screwed. :D

This will be a fun trip. I've never done the WMA roads before so it'll be cool to explore. The state park also has some really nice cabins.

Since I work the 2nd & 4th weekends of each month, and the 3rd weekend I have a BMRA trip scheduled, my hand was forced.

If anyone can't make the 14-15, I have already started getting a group together to head out with me on the 7th-8th (my birthday is the 9th :D).

We will be most likely stay at CLSP unless the group ends up feeling adventurous, in which case we will camp somewhere along the mountain trail and try to continue onto Arkansas Sunday.

There will be no issues with crowds that weekend, I can assure you of that... at least where we go. :)

For those of you that haven't been, get your WMA permit online rather than waiting at the general store... believe me. :rolleyes:

The WMA roads in Clayton are awesome. You guys need to get Russell or Todd Y to lead you out to Schoolbus Hill out K Trail. Any rig with 4 wheel drive can make it and it is FUN!

On a separate note, I am going to Poteau the weekend before the 4th for a 5++ extreme trail run if anyone is interested in that.......

Schoolbus Hill
:D

ClaytonBJ.jpg

I remember a few years ago up there with my SUA unlocked FJ40 having a blast.
Went up the week before with Nick (stock BJ40), Jack (FZJ80) and Kyle Lepage (Purdy) we spent the day running WMA roads and puttering around, shared some shine with a couple of hog hunters we bumped into (probably checking us out to make sure we weren't revenue-ers) Next week was the club run with more puttering around for us stockers on Saturday. Saturday night had a night run with a river crossing that was up to my floor boards and the next day was school bus and a few other trails led by Todd Y.
Hopefully Todd or Russell will read this and volunteer to lead some trails rather than my current plan which is less of a plan more of an idea to just explore what I can find on a map that looks like it might be fun.

That is one way to leak check an FJC

Last edited:
I'm gonna try and be there. Unfortunately, I'm working in New Mexico July 9-13. So, I'll be working around my work schedule. :-(

Happy Trails! N

I want to go, and right now either weekend should work fine for me, though I might be going to Atlanta on one of those weekends. If you guys decide soon, I can easily schedule my Atlanta trip for the other weekend.

I'm interested in a medium rated trail so I don't break my brand new FJC, but will also do an easier trail if we have more people interested in that.

Date is now final.
Plan is base out of CLSP and do day trips to stuff.
I will be going up Friday if anyone wants to caravan up.
More to come as we get closer

Chris- Come on up Sat evening, camp and wheel and swim or whatever on Sunday AM

I would really like to make this trip. My wife and son also. Never been to Clayton and am looking forward to going. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? (Yes, I know OK is north.)

Is everyone going to camp? or cabin? Are we going to try to stay in the same area, or is everyone on their own as far as accommodations? Do I need to get some sort of permit?

Thanks in advance.

Chris (the other one with the other blue 80):D

We need to come up with nicknames for you two. :D

Mapquest Clayton to see exactly where it is. I go up 75/69 to Stringtown and then over on 43 through Daisy. When you get to the stop sign at the dam, go straight and it'll dead end on the main drag through town (hwy 2 I think). Turn right and go around 5 miles to the state park on the right. It takes me around 2.5 hours from McKinney.

We'll base out of the state park, but anyone is welcome to stay in a motel in town. There's camping and cabins at the park. The cabins are on the other side of the park from the camping area. I wonder if they'll let us put up tents at the cabin sites? I don't see why they wouldn't as long as we pay the normal camping fee. There's plenty of room. I'm planning on a cabin as it's just easier with the wife and kids.

For using the WMA land, a permit is required. I found the website where you can buy them online (here) but from the description I can't tell if I need one for everyone in the rig. If so that'll be an extra $100 for me. That'd kinda suck. If someone knows, fill us in or I'll see what I can find.

We'll base out of the state park, but anyone is welcome to stay in a motel in town. There's camping and cabins at the park. The cabins are on the other side of the park from the camping area. I wonder if they'll let us put up tents at the cabin sites? I don't see why they wouldn't as long as we pay the normal camping fee. There's plenty of room. I'm planning on a cabin as it's just easier with the wife and kids.

I like the cabin idea myself as well and for the same reasons. Let me know when you book and we will do the same. It would be nice if everyone was in the same general vicinity for the "family" atmosphere, but that's just me.

For using the WMA land, a permit is required. I found the website where you can buy them online (here) but from the description I can't tell if I need one for everyone in the rig. If so that'll be an extra $100 for me. That'd kinda suck. If someone knows, fill us in or I'll see what I can find.

I contacted the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife by telephone and the WMA permit is $25 per person, not rig. So everyone should add that cost per person for use of the WMA land.

I contacted the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife by telephone and the WMA permit is $25 per person, not rig. So everyone should add that cost per person for use of the WMA land.

$125 for my gang? That bites, and puts it out of my range for wheeling, unless it makes us lifetime residents of Oklahoma!!!

Do they have an age limit, or is it $25 for any age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom