July ROTM - West Clear Creek Saturday 7/21/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hard to say but if the monsoon starts soon possible fire restrictions could be lifted by the 21st. But would have to had enough rain. There was a another small fire in the area Thursday that was put out quick. Currently so dry up here just a smoldering cigarette butt could start a major fire. County has prohibited fire rings but the forest service hasn't. If you use a fire ring please clear the area around it of anything combustionible.

Last edited:
36830127-775C-4E8D-A590-56795533C516.jpeg
879655C8-A3C6-4BF3-8F41-6D0A3870D805.jpeg
459BCE2F-3642-4751-B728-A297AEA8AE92.jpeg
02230515-D80D-4D2B-8480-4F7D8E8F97B4.jpeg
7CFD32F0-3521-42FA-AED1-FF1C523223CD.jpeg
@Dimples hiked down into the West Clear Creek Wilderness on the Calloway trail this am. Only .4 miles from trailhead down to the creek, but 550 ft of vertical over that. The drive into the trailhead on 142B was very chunky and about 3 miles back to the TH. My stock old Tundra did it but it would have been a piece of cake in the 40. Directions from FS are wrong as well, a FS employee got me pointed the right way. FR 144 is about 2.5 miles S, not N of 260/87 junction and off of 260. Is there an entry point with a less nasty road leading to TH? Maybe from N side? Some pics from this morning

Verizon internet sucks can't even load pictures. Only cell phone tower in the area. 260 is really headed to east before meeting 87. Would have to check my travel map again but a few ways off of 87 into that area. Three look like main roads traveling along the highway. Might find some time before the 21st to check them out. Closest one is probably around twenty miles away. Cools off a little good excuse to take the 70 out. Had it out yesterday. Warmer again today.

Can’t believe I have not ventured in there years ago. Very removed from most areas and quiet. I was talking to a guy on my way out, asked if I saw and Black bears. He said there are lots in that area and he saw two this morning. Maybe a 45ACP along with me for these remote hikes is a good idea.

Can’t believe I have not ventured in there years ago. Very removed from most areas and quiet. I was talking to a guy on my way out, asked if I saw and Black bears. He said there are lots in that area and he saw two this morning. Maybe a 45ACP along with me for these remote hikes is a good idea.

My question did you have to open a gate off 260 or cattleguard? The one with cattleguard is well traveled. See fifthwheels going in there. A car can drive all the way thru to 87 as I remember. Been years since I drove it and was in a 4X4. Only thing I've owned for over thirty years.

Southern part of 6A and 5B south pretty easy to get away from everybody. Rarely do I see anyone cutting firewood. Hunted turkey on Turkey Mountain for years. Looking at the travel map it appears the back way I would go in is on the map. Take the main FS road on the map and beats you up. Back way only time I ever had to lock my first gen Tundra in 4X4 was in a sandy wash and couldn't get up the bank towing my 68 FJ40. Also the only time I seen a elk that numbered in the hundreds was in this area. Thinking of doing a ride to the back way into the buffalo ranch south of I-40. Lot of interesting places to explore in the area.
Last summer we had a Black bear in the subdivision. Was thiry feet out of our back door one morning. Had no idea it had been there until my neighbor asked if I had seen it. Dogs were going crazy barking at the security screen that morning. Figure it was elk or deer they were seeing. Fairly common to see those.

Hey John. There was a cattle guard on 144 and yes most of the roads were quite smooth. Turning onto 146B the road got very rough and chunky. About half a mile in there was a gate. Lots of very tight turns and narrow trees, I would never take a fifth wheel down there. Oh and it dead ends at the edge of the Canyon, not a thru road. When I spoke to the FS guy at the gas station in Happy Jack and I mentioned 146B to the Calloway trailhead he said “that one is really rough!” That said I would go back but with the 40 or a shorter wheelbase 4X4. Hear there are several other access points

View attachment 1734715 View attachment 1734716 View attachment 1734717 View attachment 1734719 View attachment 1734720 @Dimples hiked down into the West Clear Creek Wilderness on the Calloway trail this am. Only .4 miles from trailhead down to the creek, but 550 ft of vertical over that. The drive into the trailhead on 142B was very chunky and about 3 miles back to the TH. My stock old Tundra did it but it would have been a piece of cake in the 40. Directions from FS are wrong as well, a FS employee got me pointed the right way. FR 144 is about 2.5 miles S, not N of 260/87 junction and off of 260. Is there an entry point with a less nasty road leading to TH? Maybe from N side? Some pics from this morning

4/10ths of a mile and 550 feet is okay if it isn’t loose and slippy. What was the trail condition?

I think FR 149 or 616 will be the best entry point. Could also head up the 87 and take 209 in. I have offline maps downloaded. I will see Friday when I head up.

@Dimples the trail was in great condition. A little loose in spots but generally quite good. Down near the creek the soil resembles topsoil from back East. Different world down there. I did see some poison ivy FWIW

@Dimples the trail was in great condition. A little loose in spots but generally quite good. Down near the creek the soil resembles topsoil from back East. Different world down there. I did see some poison ivy FWIW

Any sign of beaver? Years ago there was a huge pond down stream from Tramway Tr. created by beaver. Camped the first night upstream from the pond and beavers kept us up half the night taking down trees.

Hey John. I didn’t walk around the creek too long but that is cool to know. I want to go in on a different route next time just for variety, @Dimples suggested some others.

@Living in the Past now that you mention it John I do recall a time when a beaver kept me up all night! But, that is another story! I digress....

great area! several years ago four of us did the drop off and hike to the other end. many pools to cross with the backpack on top of a small tube because there was no other way through and you spend your whole trip down in this slot canyon...when you look up and see branches stuck 20' above your head where a past flood deposited them, you start watching the skyline for storm clouds upstream :hmm:
3 things I remember from that particular trip:
1) on the first night after we hung up the hammocks, One of the guys swam around and gathered up a huge amount of crawdads and cooked up a crawdad jambalya that was amazing!
2) I slipped and fell where the back side of my hard head audibly bounced off the slickrock. Everyone froze. For some reason it sounded worse than it was and didn't even really hurt. Good thing, we were many tough miles from civilization. The old Murphy noggin stands up! :doh:
3) on the final last trail up to get up and out of the canyon, a huge rattle snake was sunning on the trail and refused to move (rattling loudly at this point) so we had to scramble up and around the fella.

If you had any piss and vinegar at the start of the trip, any and all stress is worked out by the time you come out!

@murf impressive! Not sure the length of the Canyon but I am betting that was a great adventure!

@murf impressive! Not sure the length of the Canyon but I am betting that was a great adventure!
~28 miles to the bullpen area ~32 miles to the clear creek campground. I want to do this next summer before monsoon starts.

@Dimples if we stick with going in from the South side then 149 or 616 are both workable. My map shows them just off 87 just E of the 260/87 interchange. What TH is nearby? Calloway is W if there at end of 142B

@Dimples if we stick with going in from the South side then 149 or 616 are both workable. My map shows them just off 87 just E of the 260/87 interchange. What TH is nearby? Calloway is W if there at end of 142B

The Maxwell is the closest TH then Tramway. I am just looking to get some off trail driving in as well. Also want to scope out how hard the other trails really are. Calloway will most likely be the Hike in spot though. Only half a mile to the water makes it manageable for most everyone.

Hopefully i will make the deadline with my cruiser and have her ready for this run. I am taking my beater dodge up for the pre run Friday/Saturday.

FYI it rained three times up here yesterday with a better chance of rain today then predicted yesterday. Finally started to get rain we need so bad. These could be greening up. But could also mean muddy spots on FS roads.

As much as ih8mud I need off-road

Generally the mud is limited to low spots with a hard bottoms and in many cases a by pass is available. My first trip up Casner Mountain a few years by a fifth generation 4Runner was having a good time up on top racing thru the muddy spots. I've spent to much time cleaning mud off my original FJ40 to keep it rust free to go looking for mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom