July ROTM - Mount Ord (1 Viewer)

Which run do you want to do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

I have the pleasure of hosting July's ROTM (forced volunteer). I couldn't decide on the run or the date so I'd like your feedback. I am actually out of town for work the first half of the month but we can do a run July 18th or 25th. I have pre-run Rice Peak or Mount Ord, which would you prefer? Please list your date and run preference and the majority wins!

Thanks!

PS There's camping at both spots, I plan on camping, there's no fee or permit required. If you want to see the trail, I posted pics from both the pre-runs on my Instagram account @gretchen_mularkey. Once we have a consensus I'll post meetup time and place.

UPDATE:

Here are the coordinates for the trail-head:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9602043,-111.3982518,122m/data=!3m1!1e3

ATTENTION NEW MEETING LOCATION

We will meet at Chevron aka Baja Gas Station (Baja Gas Station, 10180 North Fort McDowell Road, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...79,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8453dec5c85cea6f

Saturday 7/25/2015 at 7:45AM departing no later than 8:00AM so make sure you get your gas/ice/beer :flush: whatever and are ready to go by 8:00. :steer:

**I called the Ranger Station today and there are no negative reports on the trail conditions and there are NO FIRE RESTRICTIONS so we can have a campfire.:clap: Camping is an option for those who want to (I will be camping with my two mutts). No permits or fees required. Please let me know if I forgot anything or if you have any questions. Thanks and see you Saturday! :D

Officially: I am setting the July ROTM for 7/25, Mt. Ord.
We'll meet at 7:30 AM at the Shell:

1601 N Beeline Hwy
Scottsdale, AZ 85256

https://www.google.com/maps/place/J+R's+Convenience+Store/@33.4649408,-111.8432042,17.25z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sshell!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xf1f38dbc01f04590

Since it's July and a million degrees out I figured we better get an early start.

From the Shell it will take about an hour to get to the trailhead, We can adjust the meeting time if needed. We'll actually be running this trail in reverse from what the popular 4-wheel book lists (hard part first). Once we get to the top there's a half-mile hike (optional) and plenty of camping spots. The rest of the trail out is an easy dirt road with a few side trails and other camping spots.

Unofficially: For those of you who can't make 7/25 I suggest Rice Peak on 7/18, once you get to the top you'll find my initial "K" I made with rocks when I was up there last month. I suggest you meet at this Circle K, good place to fuel up and plenty of space to meet.

Circle K
2000 W American Ave
Oracle, AZ 85623

Once I get back home I can provide GPS coordinates and trail numbers etc. for both but I am still out of town and travelling this week. Will try to be at meeting Friday though and have more info posted by then. Please let me know if I forgot anything or if y'all have any questions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't forget to vote for the run using the choices above! Here's some more info on the runs, I would share what my book says but I am travelling until next week and didn't bring it with me. Here's what I remember about both.

Mount Ord is up north on the way to Payson, about 1 hour from east valley. Rated easy to moderate. Some switchbacks, narrow parts, washouts. Optional 0.5 mile hike at the end to the watchtower.

Rice Peak is by Oracle, AZ (North of Tucson) about 1.5 hours from east valley. Rated moderate to hard. Steep climbs, used rear locker with minimal slippage. Very tight switchbacks and rocky trail.

Both trails take about 3-4 hours. I was able to navigate through on my stock Tacoma but did get some minor body damage on Rice Peak. Both have amazing views.

I accidentally voted but didn't mean to, so aside from my vote we have 1-1.

Yes, I went up FS 27 on 6/28 and took Rice Peak to the top on 6/27. Has something happened since then?

A couple great days of wheeling for you, both are fun scenic trails.
thumb.gif
Kudos to you for pre running your ROTM. Conditions on both of those trail can change quickly glad to hear with your pre run they are wheelable.

I should have the parts I need and the time to install for the 25th. Rice peak was already on my "test drive" list.

I should have the parts I need and the time to install for the 25th. Rice peak was already on my "test drive" list.
If they outvote us on Rice Peak let me know when you are roadworthy and I'll go up there with you.

If they outvote us on Rice Peak let me know when you are roadworthy and I'll go up there with you.

Sounds like a plan, thank you!

I'd also like to join for rice peak when you go!
Rice Peak is a nice run - I end up there often.

Sometimes there's life up there!
IMG_2132-small.jpg

Yes there is.. Especially this time of year.:cool:

RP Bugs 1.jpg
RP Bugs.jpg
RP New hatch.jpg

Fire on the Mountain . . .

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/...owing-fire-in-fire-in-catalina-mountains-burn

TUCSON, ARIZONA (Tucson News Now) - A forest fire continues to burn in the Catalina Mountains, raising some concern among nearby residents.

The fire is near Pusch Ridge and is visible to many people on Tucson's northwest side, especially in Oro Valley.

As nightfall approached, the orange glow of the flames were clearly visible.

It had grown to 60 acres as of Monday night, but no firefighters have been dispatched.

Instead, the Coronado National Forest has decided to let the "fire burn itself out."

The fire began after a thunderstorm on the western edge of Buster Mountain, and is on the top third of the mountain, according to Heidi Schewel of the U.S. Forest Service.

It's been spreading slowly due to a number of factors including the rocky terrain with little vegetation to burn, rain showers in the area and high humidity.

The forest service has placed the fire in the "monitor" status, meaning it is being watched, but fire crews have not been dispatched and that has some visitors to Catalina State Park concerned.

The fire was naturally started by a lightning strike and there are benefits to letting a wildfire take its natural course when there are no lives or property being threatened. Wildfires have a natural ability to get rid of dangerous fuels and bolster forest ecology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom