July ROTM - Mount Ord (1 Viewer)

Which run do you want to do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

East Northeast of Pusch Peak on the Romero Canyon side. It looked impressive this morning at 4 am, not so much this afternoon (think it was sprinkled on).

Fire on the Mountain . . .

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/...owing-fire-in-fire-in-catalina-mountains-burn

TUCSON, ARIZONA (Tucson News Now) - A forest fire continues to burn in the Catalina Mountains, raising some concern among nearby residents.

The fire is near Pusch Ridge and is visible to many people on Tucson's northwest side, especially in Oro Valley.

As nightfall approached, the orange glow of the flames were clearly visible.

It had grown to 60 acres as of Monday night, but no firefighters have been dispatched.

Instead, the Coronado National Forest has decided to let the "fire burn itself out."

The fire began after a thunderstorm on the western edge of Buster Mountain, and is on the top third of the mountain, according to Heidi Schewel of the U.S. Forest Service.

It's been spreading slowly due to a number of factors including the rocky terrain with little vegetation to burn, rain showers in the area and high humidity.

The forest service has placed the fire in the "monitor" status, meaning it is being watched, but fire crews have not been dispatched and that has some visitors to Catalina State Park concerned.

The fire was naturally started by a lightning strike and there are benefits to letting a wildfire take its natural course when there are no lives or property being threatened. Wildfires have a natural ability to get rid of dangerous fuels and bolster forest ecology.

This is good to know. Rice Peak is north of this area I would guess about 10+ miles from what I could tell on the map.

My parts showed up today, I should be good for Rice on the 25th if anyone is game.
I've updated the post with the run details, we're doing Mt. Ord on the 25th. Apparently there's a fire down in the Catalina's see previous post. I'll call to get conditions for both trails tomorrow.

My parts showed up today, I should be good for Rice on the 25th if anyone is game.
I should be available that weekend for Rice Peak. Let me know if you are roadworthy by Thursday or I'll probably head up to the Ord run Friday after work.

I may actually be able to go on this run. Permit required?

Thanks.

I've updated the post with the run details, we're doing Mt. Ord on the 25th. Apparently there's a fire down in the Catalina's see previous post. I'll call to get conditions for both trails tomorrow.
Drove through Catalina tonight - fire appears to be out and nothing near Rice Peak.

Hey CSC - Its looking like I might be able to make this run for Mt. Ord on the 25th. Looking forward to it!

Looking at the map, it looks like you'll be running mostly FR626 to Mount Ord?
If so the initial meeting point is very south for me as I live in the north west valley.

I'd like to suggest for the more northern members meeting up at the the Baja Gas Station (just off the 87) and then we'll just keep our CB or / SWR on as your coming past and just merge in with the group so you all don't have to stop.

Would this suggestion be okay and if so does the group mostly use CB or SWR? I have both but is there a channel that works best?

Baja Gas Station
10180 N Fort McDowell Rd
Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x8453dec5c85cea6f

Last edited:
I should be available that weekend for Rice Peak. Let me know if you are roadworthy by Thursday or I'll probably head up to the Ord run Friday after work.

Steve, if it were me, I would choose Mt. Ord if I had the time, sounds awesome.
My rig is trail worthy as of today and looking for a local shake down run next Saturday, your call, wouldn't mind your company if you just want to do a day trip.

Steve, if it were me, I would choose Mt. Ord if I had the time, sounds awesome.
My rig is trail worthy as of today and looking for a local shake down run next Saturday, your call, wouldn't mind your company if you just want to do a day trip.
Congrats on getting it ready.

We could go up Rice Peak today - it would only take me an hour to get ready and get up to the Circle K.

Otherwise next Saturday will be fine.

Hey CSC - Its looking like I might be able to make this run for Mt. Ord on the 25th. Looking forward to it!

Looking at the map, it looks like you'll be running mostly FR626 to Mount Ord?
If so the initial meeting point is very south for me as I live in the north west valley.

I'd like to suggest for the more northern members meeting up at the the Baja Gas Station (just off the 87) and then we'll just keep our CB or / SWR on as your coming past and just merge in with the group so you all don't have to stop.

Would this suggestion be okay and if so does the group mostly use CB or SWR? I have both but is there a channel that works best?

Baja Gas Station
10180 N Fort McDowell Rd
Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x8453dec5c85cea6f

The Shell station Taco Charlee is using within a ~mile of Baja (Beeline & Shea) Not a big deal IMO
Unless you are coming off Bush Highway you will drive right by it.:meh:

Shell Station Bonus Gas is 20 cents cheaper
thumb.gif

The Shell station Taco Charlee is using within a ~mile of Baja (Beeline & Shea) Not a big deal IMO
Unless you are coming off Bush Highway you will drive right by it.:meh:

Shell Station Bonus Gas is 20 cents cheaper
thumb.gif

Hey LCPhil! Thanks for the reply -- Which Shell Station are you talking about as I only saw one meet up point in this thread at McDowell and 87, which is about 22 miles round trip from Shea and the 87.

Thanks!

see you Saturday am!

Opps my bad I was thinking it was this Shell https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5700781,-111.714029,470m/data=!3m1!1e3

I do agree to add a pick up point at the Baja as noted in your post, Taco Charlee?

We can actually change meetup point to the Baja station, I am assuming that is the Chevron? I usually go to that one anyway and it is in the right direction of the trail. Maybe be easier to just have one meetup point closer to the trail head anyway. Thoughts?

The Baja station is a Chevron so that is a good meeting place as well.

Hi all - I just want to get a headcount on how many of us are going so I can ensure we don't leave anyone behind. Just reply if you haven't already so we know to expect you.

Here are the coordinates for the trail-head:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9602043,-111.3982518,122m/data=!3m1!1e3

ATTENTION NEW MEETING LOCATION

We will meet at Chevron aka Baja Gas Station (Baja Gas Station, 10180 North Fort McDowell Road, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/B...79,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8453dec5c85cea6f

Saturday 7/25/2015 at 7:45AM departing no later than 8:00AM so make sure you get your gas/ice/beer :flush: whatever and are ready to go by 8:00. :steer:

**I called the Ranger Station today and there are no negative reports on the trail conditions and there are NO FIRE RESTRICTIONS so we can have a campfire.:clap: Camping is an option for those who want to (I will be camping with my two mutts). No permits or fees required. Please let me know if I forgot anything or if you have any questions. Thanks and see you Saturday! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom