July ROTM - Diamond Rock (Black River) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

floggerdogger

SILVER Star
Threads
July ROTM - Diamond Rock (Black River)

Trip Leader: @floggerdogger

Date: July 29th
Time: 0900
Place: Fort McDowell Chevron Station (10180 N Fort McDowell Rd, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264)

Route Description: Take AZ-87 N to AZ-260 E to Show Low; continue AZ-260 E and AZ-273 S to FR276 (via FR403)

Destination:
Latitude : 33.81879167
Longitude : -109.2998306
Elevation : 7,890 feet
ETT: 4.5 hours

Okay . . . so you can put away your winter clothes . . . Probably more like shorts, T-shirts and PONCHOS for this run . . . and don't forget your LandCruiserPhil Window Socks (available once again)

I do need help on organizing any side runs. I have not been in the area for 20+ years and with the Wallow fire scar I'm not sure where we can get a little wheel time in . . .

I'm all ears . . . literally . . . :vulcan:

PLUS . . . I am covering the campsite fees for everyone . . .

HEAD COUNT

@Stepmurr
@Fuge
@wtmtnterror
@Otter (maybe)

Weekend forecast:

temperatures ranging from the low 50s at night and low 70s in the afternoon; OF COURSE there is a chance (probably) of afternoon thunderstorms . . . .

LOTS OF MUD FOR EVERYBODY!! . . . :steer:

Last edited:
Stage 1 Fire Restrictions Terminated

Termination of Order

Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. 551 and 36 CFR 26 I .50(a) the prohibition listed in Order Number 01-17-600, applicable to the area of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests, dated June 16, 2017, and signed by M. Stephen Best, is hereby terminated effective al 1400 p.m., July 17, 2017

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests - Alerts & Notices

I am in and camping. I will bring my propane fire ring just in case.

Thanks for the official NF notice of termination of the closure @Stepmurr. I was told by the Alpine Ranger, Kiley, that they have been getting .5" to 1" every afternoon for the last week. Be sure your fishing licenses are current and for those of you that like MUD . . . you may be in luck.

place-detail-map.php

Well this is practically my back yard so I will try to offer up some ideas/day trips. Unfortunately I'm scheduled to work that weekend.

Pacheta Falls is pretty close, a special use permit is required for anyone over age 10, $15 a day but worth seeing if you have never been.
Hike to Pacheta Falls Permits can be purchased here Ordering Offline everyone could pick a day and get the permit ahead of time for the specified day.

Big Lake Knoll is a very nice vista point Big Lake Knoll - Peakbagger.com there's a road that takes you nearly to the top, bring your binos.

I'll try to dig through some of my tracks to see if I can find a decent trail, the Wallow fire destroyed a lot of the out of the way places...

@wtmtnterror ; what level of vehicular 'articulation' should someone expect from either of these side trips? What is the hike like from the base of the trail to the falls? How much washout are you having in the area?

Both trips are stocker friendly, 4x4 will be required on the rez as the road deteriorates the closer you get to the falls. The "hike" is about 5 min from where you park in the route I posted. I would expect the FS roads to be in good shape, except for the burned areas, I wouldn't travel without a chainsaw though...

Also if anyone wants to have a campfire they are welcome to stop by the house and pick up some firewood, I have plenty. I'm going to try and make it out if even just for the day.
Here's a couple of pictures of the falls taken just after the 4th. They are about 130ft tall.

010.JPG

009.JPG

I have a small battery powered chainsaw I will bring. It is good for smaller stuff but it has some limitations.

Pacheta Falls is pretty close, a special use permit is required for anyone over age 10, $15 a day but worth seeing if you have never been. Hike to Pacheta Falls Permits can be purchased here Ordering Offline everyone could pick a day and get the permit ahead of time for the specified day.

I am planning on making this a three day trip for myself . . . which would make Sunday the best day to take in Pacheta Falls . . .

I am planning on making this a three day trip for myself . . . which would make Sunday the best day to take in Pacheta Falls . . .
So where were you planning on getting the permit?

I just tried the online and it isn't working. If you are sure you will go on Sunday i'll pick one up on the way there.

Online Ordering Temporarily Disabled
Online ordering for permits and lake reservations is currently disabled. Permits can be purchased at any of the following locations:

White Mountain - Open year-round

Steve I would suggest Carrizo Junction or Kmart in Show Low for anyone coming up via hwy 60.
@floggerdogger do we have a list of people who may be going? Sun works for me as far as the falls go.

Steve I would suggest Carrizo Junction or Kmart in Show Low for anyone coming up via hwy 60.
@floggerdogger do we have a list of people who may be going? Sun works for me as far as the falls go.
Kmart I can find! Thanks!

I am heading up north Thursday night. I'll do dispersed camping thursday & friday, and look for the phoenix group on saturday.

@Stepmurr , @Fuge , @wtmtnterror . . . this is the only names that indicated any interest on this run . . .

I suspect the online permit page should be back up by Monday evening . . . . . I will try then.

Ahhh, Guys . . . . it would seem that I have developed a loud 'tapping' sound coming from what seems to be top center area of my sixer . . . should I fear it or embrace it? . . . . :censor:

Last edited:
Hey @Stepmurr . . . pick me up one of those passes on your way up . . . that web-page is still down . . .

Well it looks like Mt. Graham is going to be closed for awhile . . . and their talking years . . .

Did the fire take out the Riggs Lake area?

Hey @Stepmurr . . . pick me up one of those passes on your way up . . . that web-page is still down . . .

Well it looks like Mt. Graham is going to be closed for awhile . . . and their talking years . . .

Any clue what they mean by years and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom