July Club Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
July Club Run - Big Bear Area, July 10-11. This has changed to an "end-of-the-week" run, with camping for those who wish to do so, or day runs on Friday and/or Saturday! We'll meet at 9:00, in the closest parking lot to the Fawnskin Fire Station, on both days. On Friday morning, we'll head over to our "Adopt-a-Trail", and hopefully find a Yellow Post camp area that we can secure by leaving a few camp chairs. We'll spend the remainder of the day running trails in that area, and then head back to camp for the night (unless you want to head home). On Saturday morning, we will again head out for local trails in the area.

Regarding difficulty level - there are just so many trails in that area, and at so many levels, that we'll just choose the runs each day based on rig capability and driver comfort level. Whether you want to go mild or wild, you should be fine on this run. If we have a split mild/wild desire, we can either choose trails that have easy bypasses on the wild stuff; or we can split the group with one trail leader taking the "mild", and another trail leader taking the "wild".

Hi all,

Can we have an informal check-in here on 'MUD? I'd kinda like to know who to expect, and what vehicle you'll be driving. It will help with route planning, logistics, etc... So:

1) Who is thinking about doing this run, and what vehicle?

2) Friday, Saturday, or both?

Thanks!
Joe

July Club Run - Big Bear Area, July 10-11. This has changed to an "end-of-the-week" run, with camping for those who wish to do so, or day runs on Friday and/or Saturday! We'll meet at 9:00, in the closest parking lot to the Fawnskin Fire Station, on both days. On Friday morning, we'll head over to our "Adopt-a-Trail", and hopefully find a Yellow Post camp area that we can secure by leaving a few camp chairs. We'll spend the remainder of the day running trails in that area, and then head back to camp for the night (unless you want to head home). On Saturday morning, we will again head out for local trails in the area.

Regarding difficulty level - there are just so many trails in that area, and at so many levels, that we'll just choose the runs each day based on rig capability and driver comfort level. Whether you want to go mild or wild, you should be fine on this run. If we have a split mild/wild desire, we can either choose trails that have easy bypasses on the wild stuff; or we can split the group with one trail leader taking the "mild", and another trail leader taking the "wild".

Friday yes . Saturday maybe.

5C5699D7-44E8-44D9-B468-2C2D95E3D964.jpeg

FYI:
-SR 330
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 3.4 MI NORTH TO 5 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF I 210 (SAN BERNARDINO CO) 24 HRS A DAY THRU 11/30/20 - DUE TO BRIDGE WORK

-Recreation Passes: I believe we will have to get multi-day passes for any multi-day attendees. I think these only come into play if we are stopped on the side of a trail and unlucky enough to have a ranger pass by. As Martha would say from jail "It's a good thing":rofl: Verified as available (only single day) @ Fawnskin market. Opens @ 9a.

Last edited:
FYI:
-SR 330
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 3.4 MI NORTH TO 5 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF I 210 (SAN BERNARDINO CO) 24 HRS A DAY THRU 11/30/20 - DUE TO BRIDGE WORK

-Recreation Passes: I believe we will have to get multi-day passes for any multi-day attendees. I think these only come into play if we are stopped on the side of a trail and unlucky enough to have a ranger pass by. As Martha would say from jail "It's a good thing":rofl: Verified as available (only single day) @ Fawnskin market. Opens @ 9a.

I just checked (at 7:35 AM) the estimated drive times from my home in Mission Viejo to Fawnskin. I used 3 major platforms (Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze). The estimated drive times ranged from 1 hour and 45 minutes to 1 hour and fifty minutes, taking traffic into concern. Based on that, I don’t think the one-way road closures on the section under maintenance will cause a significant time delay. I’ll check again in an hour or so, just in case the flag men aren’t working yet.

That said, I plan to take Hwy 330 into Fawnskin tomorrow. Please feel free to take any alternate route that you’d prefer. See you at 9:00 AM tomorrow at the Fawnskin Fire Station!

That said, I plan to take Hwy 330 into Fawnskin tomorrow. Please feel free to take any alternate route that you’d prefer. See you at 9:00 AM tomorrow at the Fawnskin Fire Station!

Last weekend traffic on 330 heading up to Fawnskin was not bad early in the morning in the one-way traffic area. Heading back down 330 on Sunday afternoon sucked... Traffic was backed up well over a mile at the stop light for the one-way traffic. I recommend taking 18 when heading back down...

Last weekend traffic on 330 heading up to Fawnskin was not bad early in the morning in the one-way traffic area. Heading back down 330 on Sunday afternoon sucked... Traffic was backed up well over a mile at the stop light for the one-way traffic. I recommend taking 18 when heading back down...

Thanks, Chris. Good idea! I just checked all 3 platforms again (9:10 AM) and drive times are essentially the same. I’m not worried about the drive up tomorrow.

Hi all,

I'm so sorry, but I have to bow out of this trip due to some mechanical issues on my truck. Long story short - tried to change warped front rotors, and hub bearing nuts are locked together. They won't come off. I succeeded in loosening one side just enough that there's now excessive play in one wheel. I don't feel comfortable with the mix of highway, mountain, and trail driving necessary for this trip.

As of now Marc M., David S., and Achilles Y. indicated they were in for Friday & Saturday runs, and camping Friday night. New potential member Brandon and a friend of his are planning to meet Saturday morning at Fawnskin. I haven't heard from any other club members re: their attendance.

Marc - Will you please be the trail leader for this run? I have printed maps and trail guides for:

3N14 - Coxey Road
3N16 - Holcomb Valley
3N17 - White Mountain
3N08 - Holcomb Creek Road
3N83 - Upper Holcomb
3N10 West - Connector Trail to John Bull West
3N10 - John Bull
2N84 - Little Bear Spring (the club's adopt-a-trail)
2N84B - Little Bear Spring offshoot trail
4N16 - Grapevine Canyon
Holcomb Valley Dispersed Camping Area

I'll be glad to drop these off to you this evening, if you'd like.

Once again, to all of you, please accept my apologies for cancelling my attendance on this run. I'm so sorry! I hope you all have a wonderful, fun, and safe trip!

Best wishes,

Joseph Roy

Hi joe
First time camping with my 80 . kind of nervous, how far away from camping site to the street just in case forgot something?
Any facility at the campsite?.
Hi Achilles,

I've not camped at the planned site, but it doesn't look to terribly far from Fawnskin, and Fawnskin is about a 20-30 minute drive around the leak from Big Bear, if I recall correctly. However, I'm sure if you're short something that another member has, they'll not hesitate to share with you. Have Fun!

Hi all,

I'm so sorry, but I have to bow out of this trip due to some mechanical issues on my truck. Long story short - tried to change warped front rotors, and hub bearing nuts are locked together. They won't come off. I succeeded in loosening one side just enough that there's now excessive play in one wheel. I don't feel comfortable with the mix of highway, mountain, and trail driving necessary for this trip.

As of now Marc M., David S., and Achilles Y. indicated they were in for Friday & Saturday runs, and camping Friday night. New potential member Brandon and a friend of his are planning to meet Saturday morning at Fawnskin. I haven't heard from any other club members re: their attendance.

Marc - Will you please be the trail leader for this run? I have printed maps and trail guides for:

3N14 - Coxey Road
3N16 - Holcomb Valley
3N17 - White Mountain
3N08 - Holcomb Creek Road
3N83 - Upper Holcomb
3N10 West - Connector Trail to John Bull West
3N10 - John Bull
2N84 - Little Bear Spring (the club's adopt-a-trail)
2N84B - Little Bear Spring offshoot trail
4N16 - Grapevine Canyon
Holcomb Valley Dispersed Camping Area

I'll be glad to drop these off to you this evening, if you'd like.

Once again, to all of you, please accept my apologies for cancelling my attendance on this run. I'm so sorry! I hope you all have a wonderful, fun, and safe trip!

Best wishes,

Joseph Roy
Joe, sorry to hear about your mechanical situation. That's no problem I can run the show for this weekend in your absence. All members who are reading this thread I will be at the fawnskin volunteer fire station about 9:00 a.m. +/- 15 minutes tomorrow .I'm going to give you my cell number here though I don't know if I will have a signal there but texting may work if no phone calls. Also while traveling to the base of the mountain of course cell coverage should be fine and anybody may contact me while on the freeways. I will be leaving Costa Mesa about 7:15 a.m. Friday .

Hi all,

Can we have an informal check-in here on 'MUD? I'd kinda like to know who to expect, and what vehicle you'll be driving. It will help with route planning, logistics, etc... So:

1) Who is thinking about doing this run, and what vehicle?

2) Friday, Saturday, or both?

Thanks!
Joe
To club members this is a great weekend to beat the heat . Forecast is for triple digit weather in many parts of SoCal through the weekend.
Escaping up to an Alpine environment like big Bear is a great way to spend a summer weekend with a little camping fun and some off-roading adventure . I'm looking forward to the camaraderie .

Hi all,

Informally checking, for Saturday morning, my friend I will be out there with our rigs at 9am. I have a bone stock 100 series with road tires lol, and my friend has a bone stock 150 series. We plan to leave the pasadena area around 6:45 to get out to the Fawnskin fire station. See you guys there!

-Brandon

Hats off to mark for the Friday guidance.

Collateral damage report:
a) Threw a code going to pick up my buddy prior to heading up. 1st time to use the obd II reader. worked like a charm. slow/minor leak in fuel emissions. Filled up day before, attendant (they still have 'em) put cap back on. removed filler cap and reinstalled. Cleared code and error gone!

b) Running stock-ish more street style AT tires that are (per tire shop, not industry) aged out of being rotated (over 6 years I think). Slit a sidewall luckily at top of trail (white mountain). took a 1 hr break to dig stuff out, change. Did I say it was 95F. Spare worked like a charm. Pushing out a thanks to mark/achilles for patiently hanging just inside GMRS radio range while the pit crew did there stuff. Bailed on Sat run as i'm a "why tempt fate" guy if I don't have to.

This tire stuff accelerated my quest to switch to 16"-ers. hopefully will be in hand prior to august run, which I plan on going.

Finally, my new biv-sack worked super well......10' surfboard travel bag w. integral padding. That and summer bag allowed me to sleep surprisingly well.

Until next time.............

a) Threw a code going to pick up my buddy prior to heading up. 1st time to use the obd II reader. worked like a charm. slow/minor leak in fuel emissions. Filled up day before, attendant (they still have 'em) put cap back on. removed filler cap and reinstalled. Cleared code and error gone!

b) Running stock-ish more street style AT tires that are (per tire shop, not industry) aged out of being rotated (over 6 years I think). Slit a sidewall luckily at top of trail (white mountain). took a 1 hr break to dig stuff out, change. Did I say it was 95F. Spare worked like a charm. Pushing out a thanks to mark/achilles for patiently hanging just inside GMRS radio range while the pit crew did there stuff. Bailed on Sat run as i'm a "why tempt fate" guy if I don't have to.

This tire stuff accelerated my quest to switch to 16"-ers. hopefully will be in hand prior to august run, which I plan on going.

Finally, my new biv-sack worked super well......10' surfboard travel bag w. integral padding. That and summer bag allowed me to sleep surprisingly well.

We all had a great day on Friday Wheeling some challenging runs and a relaxing evening of dispersed camping. David is correct it was very warm even for an Alpine environment last weekend, while most of SoCal sizzled in triple digits except for along the coast. I met up with Rich , his daughter & Alan we had a nice morning off-roading run , stopped next to a creek with some good shade for a quick lunch . I had to leave for home but Alan, Rich and Caitlin ventured up a fairly aggressive trail and hopefully had a good afternoon , with no casualties? Looking forward to seeing David's 100 series with the new improved 16" wheels and good off-road rubber. It will be a game changer for his rig going forward.

Glad you made it, & glad you had only minor issues that you were able to work through! Great idea on the biv-sack! I'd have never thought of that! Hope to see you on the Monache Meadows run. I just got back (yes, again!) and it was beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom