July 27-28 Goose Creek Lake Club Overnight Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody!
Whether the high country thinks it's summer or not it's time to head to the Beartooths! We will plan to camp at Goose Creek Lake Saturday night but honestly we don't fully know what conditions are going to be like up there. So there will likely be some on the fly decision making and changing of plans amongst the group. This will make it more important to know who is planning to join in on this run and everyone's travel plans so we don't lose anyone.

Meetup point:
Cook City Exxon on Main St. and Eaton St. It's on the east end of town and the last gas station before you leave town towards Beartooth Pass.
Plan on departing the Exxon at 10am. That should give folks leaving Bozeman on Saturday morning a fighting chance. Otherwise getting into the Cooke City area Friday night is a nice option too. There is a good amount of camping around but check into it before hand as some campgrounds, like Soda Butte, can be hardside campers only, and also many could be full this time of year. There is also dispersed camping up Daisy/Lulu Passes.

What to expect:
There are no services outside of Cooke City so come prepared for unsupported travel and camping.
The trail is rocky and slow going. Some extra ground clearance via lift and/or oversized tires is needed.
We will also follow proper BEAR COUNTRY practices and bear spray is needed. I mean it is the BEARtooths after all...

So who's planning to go?? And when are you heading out?

Friday Night Departure:
@elkun1 (Friday daytime)

Saturday Morning Departure:
@REZARF
@thetoyotaman
@evkotoday
@planomateo
@Saul Abel
@ttFJC

HERE is the thread from last year

Comms: 146.460 and 16

Last edited:
We're leaving friday morning and being tourists thru the park, will be camped in the vicinity of the goose lake turnoff. will be monitoring 46 and channel 16

I’m 100% in for Saturday. Gonna' try to get into the area Friday night if my flight lands on time Friday.

Its a looong story but we can catch up this weekend.

sounds like i'm gonna crash the party. trying to convoy on Saturday with @REZARF

i cant miss this one again like last year

Be careful if you're going through the park at night or early morning. I clipped a buffalo at about 10 pm last night on the road between cooke city and tower junction. I was blinded by a person in the oncoming lane who wouldn't turn off their brights. After flashing them multiple times and hitting them with my light bar they turned them off and then I could see the buffalo right in my lane. Locked it up, swerved left of it, clipped it (35 mph ish), and then hucked it back right and narrowly missed the car with the brights. Stopped about 30 yards beyond at a pull out. The people were at a dead stop just looking at it and then took off like assholes too, didn't check us out or anything. Buffalo took off, don't know how hurt it was but it screamed when I hit it. Luckily there is 0 damage to the cruiser, my ARB has a minor dent but that's it.

Didn't have a problem after that because we didn't run into any other traffic going the opposite way. Watch for dipshits in the park if you go that way

I'm planning on going with an early Saturday departure. Mind if i convoy with the rest of the Saturday morning crew?

No problem. Last year the meet up point was the Target parking lot at 630. Then top off gas in Gardiner as the last decent price and Cooke City as needed. I’ll have kids in tow so may need a couple of stops in between.

Any recommendations on a camping location Friday night between Gardiner and Cooke City? Not sure I'm going to make it up to Cooke City.

Thinking I'll camp outside of the park Friday night, then make the drive through Yellowstone early in the am to hopefully bypass the traffic.

Any recommendations on a camping location Friday night between Gardiner and Cooke City? Not sure I'm going to make it up to Cooke City.

Thinking I'll camp outside of the park Friday night, then make the drive through Yellowstone early in the am to hopefully bypass the traffic.
There are two NFS campgrounds outside of Gardiner. Eagle creek and bear creek. My guess is they fill up fast though. I think there's another north of Gardiner as well. I've slept in the truck just pulled off the road in mill creek, maybe 30 mins north of Gardiner. Take the west mill creek turn. There's a pullout just past bulldozer road.
[/URL]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom