Builds July 1976 FJ40 rebuilding/modifying/fabricating/cool pic thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I've been here around the edges for sometime now, a few posts here and there, but now I suppose I have to stop being lazy and start a thread for my very first car, bought for me as a present by my (then) girlfriend who is (now) my wife in late 93, early 94 time frame. It was my daily driver on and off for the last 15 years. Been through hell, 3 motors, two clutches, two repaints and tons of fun! I got it with the standard ( to middle michigan, GM country) SBC conversion already done. The factory hard top was crushed in a roll over by the previous owner, wiring was trashed and I had to jump the solinoid with a screwdriver and drive it home on a milk crate with one head light just on.

So 21 or so years later I'm going through the process of hanging all new metal, installing an aluminum fuel injected 5.3, rebuilding the factory 4 speed and transfer case, rebuilding the stock axles, adding a refurbished hard top and fresh paint.

I'll try and keep my chit chat to a minimum and pictures to a maximum. Ask as many questions as you feel and I'll do my best to answer. Words of support, and location of super cheap parts are always appreciated!! Seriously though, I'd be stoked with just the encouragement!

Well, enough of me and I'll start uploading pics!

IMG_1749.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

That's all for now. I will do my best to keep you all updated and progress moving forward!!

Getting busy, I also have a '76. Don't get frustrated, they take time but when you get it sorted out................watch out, one badass ride these 40's are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting busy, I also have a '76. Don't get frustrated, they take time but when you get it sorted out................watch out, one badass ride these 40's are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, its not frustration that will be an issue, this stiff is my therapy, it will be time. There is this truck, two fox body mustangs, and a 1935 pro-street International full fendered pick up in the shop, a new puppy(next saturday), 3 teenage daughters(one in college), a foreign exchange student, and as always working on my house - all the while working 6-7 days a week.

Today is supposed to be the last of the 90 plus degree coupled with 80-90% humidity days for a while, so I'll be back at it soon!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Well, I've really dropped the ball on this whole "working" project deal....... I've gotten some stuff done, though. For some reason or another I've been too lazy,busy,unmotivated to post pictures up of the little bit I have gotten accomplished. That being said, looks like most of the Michigan winter season is now behind me, so I'll be getting back at it pretty quickly. Spring break just started, hopefully the last snow fell for the year yesterday...so stay tuned!

A few pics, the rims I painted a GM color - Harvest Birch Metallic I think it's called. Something left over from a job. Been really happy with the tractor paint so far. 1.5mm tip in my DeVillbis FLG4. Flows out pretty well I think. I'm undecided on whether or not to cut, wheel and clear over top or not. Few dust nubs here and there, maybe just a light cut and wheel. See how it holds up...

That's going to look GREAT with a white bezel !

Nice job
Hey thanks! Yeah, I think so too. I Already painted the roof panel and beezle, but have seemed to failed to take any photos....
I used Rustoleum White, added some reducer and gloss hardner. Turned out good I think. Added some provisions for LED dome lights used in RV's and campers. Glassed in some plywood screw strips. Still need to get some head liner material though. I didn't used rivets, but instead used a marine grade 3M butyl adhessive/sealent and stainless steel button head cap screws and nylock stainless nuts with flat washers top and bottom. As this truck will be a Michigan daily driver, I wanted something that held better than the original arraignment. I built my own rain gutter assembly from 14ga galvanized sheet,built my own corner pieces and welded it all together. I'm beyond happy with the results. I'll have get out and get pictures soon.

Love the color, bright RED! Beautiful work with the spray gun!!
I was all over the map with regards to what color I was going with. It's a red truck truck from the factory, but has been 94 corvette blue, some weird red barn paint that was applied with a roller when I bought the truck and of course the wheat metallic color that is in the picture. I was torn between the olive factory colors, a couple of new toyota metallics that are on special model crossovers(forget the model), and a couple different burnt orange metallics. I was at the farm store and wandered in to the paint section, like the International Harvester Red, loved the price, love the easy of use, and really loved the price! So bam - back to red, kinda sorta, factory..... works for me. I need to spend the budget on mechanical punch list items more the cosmetic, so price was a big driver to be honest.

Last edited:
Wow! Well, it has been far too long, but that's how life goes I guess. Anyway, back on the horse - as it were. Posting up some progress pics. Things have changed a bit, going with better quality paint, spending more money on CCOT sheet metal( instead fab'ing up my own) and setting this up to use FST and FHT. 4" lift, 35's.. anyway enough from me... everyone wants pics! Thanks for stopping by!
FJ40 progress photos1 2018-07-07 003.jpg
FJ40 progress photos1 2018-07-07 005.jpg
FJ40 progress photos1 2018-07-07 002.jpg
FJ40 progress photos1 2018-07-07 004.jpg
FJ40 progress photos1 2018-07-07 001.jpg

Geez... not a whole lot of the Ol' Girl left....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom