july 1974 fj40: california? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, noobie ++, just got the truck yesterday. Wondering how to tell if the '74 is a CALI model or not, seems to be a factor in ordering ignition parts.
Thanks a lot

If you have the original carburetor it's easy to tell. The 74 Cali carb has the big EGR port on the driver's side and the Fed carb does not. That extra spacer makes the Cali carb taller than the Fed carb. What ignition parts are you looking for? There are several good distributor options out there that are far better than the original vacuum retard dizzy.

What ignition parts are you looking for? There are several good distributor options out there that are far better than the original vacuum retard dizzy.
PM me if you're interested in finding out more about the different types of Toyota distributors and ignition systems I've been building and refurbishing. I've got F engine distributors of different types, same with 2F distributors. I have quite a few in stock, more than one of several types.

The diaphragm bell on the federal dizzy faces the firewall. Cali spec faces the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom